A Matter of Character (2/13/2013)

Discussion in 'State of Decay News' started by Undead Sanya, Feb 13, 2013.

1. Undead Sanya

Undead Sanya Administrator Staff Member

Check out Phinney's article about skills and character development, and then leave your questions for us here. Whatever is in the thread by Sunday night, we'll attempt to answer.

PLEASE NOTE: If you ask an off-topic question, or worse, something in the FAQ, I will be forced to remove one round of ammo from your starting supply. Go ahead. Try me.

I'm kidding. Maybe. Do you feel lucky? ;)

http://undeadlabs.com/2013/02/news/a-matter-of-character/

2. e5futter

e5futter Here To Help

Sweet! I like it a lot Thanks Sanya! Well worth the wait :)

3. How does sexting come into play? lol

4. Undead Sanya

Undead Sanya Administrator Staff Member

It might not. That's the point. All of these people are as real as we could make 'em. Not all of your abilities would be useful in an apocalypse, and that's true of the survivors in SoD as well.

5. FTcivic

FTcivic Here To Help

I'll be damned is that a twinkie in the photo? Because if it is, you know that I will make my survivors eat nothing but twinkies.....

6. [You] guys got me thinking about character traits and alot of other thing but im just curious would you be able to choose different clothes for your character? like in the distraction video the character had a ski mask and other things. is that just how the character was generated or was his apperence customized?

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 13, 2013
  7. e5futter

e5futter Here To Help

8. Abhor Deities

Abhor Deities Got Your Back

No character appearance customization. You can change your backpack however.

9. i hope the certification goes well cuz i NEED this game :/ and thx for answering that abhor ;)

10. staypuft

staypuft Got Your Back

I know the story survivors will be pre set and the random npcs semi random. Will the survivor that YOU start as be completely random or picked from a pool of pre made characters?

11. staypuft

staypuft Got Your Back

By completely random I mean; first and last name chosen from a pool of names. Traits and stats chosen from a pool completely independent of the name it randomly generates. As well as clothes.

12. Capt.C.Baker

Capt.C.Baker Here To Help

You will always start out as Marcus.

13. Bub's_Of_Monroeville

Bub's_Of_Monroeville Got Your Back

A very solid approach to humanities, UL. A job well done, indeed, in what so far appears to be a defined social pyramid of sometimes scathing consequences. From what was described, it sounds like I'll have to put in as much focus into my crew as tending to the apocalypse. And all in an Arcade game.

14. no you start off as a guy named Marcus coming home from a camping trip (so the wiki says)

15. necroforger

necroforger Starting Off

Omg!!!!!!!!!!! Great post and explanintg of the game!!! Cant wait to play =d!!!!! Keep up with the good work guys!!! =)))))))

16. You have a good point. I would like to know if you can restart the game and get a different starting character if the one you start with isn't to your liking.

17. MatchesMalone

MatchesMalone Got Your Back

You always start with a pre-defiined person named Marcus. In fact, in one of the FAQs, Sanya states at the start of each game the first few characters are pre-defined. I know that cause I just saw the FAQ when trying to find a quote on the number of survivors in the game and I can't find that quote, but many members of the forum have repeated that "fact". I know I saw it myself, but I cannot find it.

I would like to know, does time "freezes" when you upgrade or deal with a survivor's skill choices? Otherwise I can see people wasting time doing so, yet in Class 4 that will not be a luxury.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2013
  18. MAJOR WARPATH

MAJOR WARPATH Starting Off

Nice article that was very informative. Is it possible to come across characters with the same exact traits and is it also possible to have a character who is completely useless. Hey, I know a few people like this. Like someone mentioned above will traits be randomized for set characters or will they always be the same for every playthrough.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2013
  19. e5futter

e5futter Here To Help

20. I come to this site everyday to catch up on anything new that is released about this game. At first, I thought it would be something along the lines of DayZ or Atleast something like a realistic zombie game, but the more I read up on it, the more it sounds like a tower defense game; Farm crops, grow a community, provide supplies for your group, etc. I'm just curious what exactly the developers are trying to make here because I've never heard of anything like this game, which isn't nessasarily a bad thing, but I'm still trying to figure out what "type" of game this will be. Regardless, I'm still going to buy it. Can't wait!