AD&D Treasure Hunt and Beyond Application

Discussion in 'Forum Games' started by Doomen Gloom, Dec 30, 2016.

1. VonLoon

VonLoon Got Your Back

It would only have to be a set time to do things like encounters and critical decisions then separate postings for minor stuff as I mentioned above,for the rest of the week. Maybe even in the Private Posts area rather than the main game area. If someone doesn't show up then nothing but minor stuff can happen that week.No one gets left behind then.With small groups of 4-6 players they should be able to decide on their own set times with bob or doom. Bob ,doom and I play "mostly" Mondays,wednesdays and Fridays{ and for most of the day!:)} and in bobs mostly, at the moment, and a few hours in Dooms each time. A set time could work in bobs too with a new group and doom and I starting new PCs for the set ones then going back to our older ones when the set time ends to play the rest of the day.{You may have to go thru a few pages to find where the set group is starting from that day tho:)} Limiting post per day hasn't worked mainly because some don't post for days or weeks so nothing can get done.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2017
    Bob Crees, Doomen Gloom and Cejao like this.
  2. SomeRandomGuy

SomeRandomGuy Famous

It's up to Doom. I'm not going to try and tell him how to run his game, I'm just asking what he can do.

3. Cejao

Cejao Famous

If people fail to check daily/weekly, then they miss out.
    but I dont want to have to miss out on 6-7 pages of content over a several hour period that takes place on a Saturday because I have to work. (It happened before)
    I think limiting the post amounts, a game could be prevented from advancing too far in a single day.

Personally I would love to see a game that kind of played according to real time (pick a time zone to be the set time) where for example, when its night time in life, its night in the game, and when everyone in the party calls for a "rest day" then the next day in real life is spent "resting" aka not playing, advancing game time according to real life, would also allow a more opportunity for people to interact. (Like if it takes a week of game time to reach a cave from town, then have encounters each day along the way and people could choose to wait until a week later to pick up with everyone else at the cave, or fight along with the npcs everyday to the cave.)
    (@Bob Crees) I think something like that would really add a nice touch.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2017
    Bob Crees, Doomen Gloom and VonLoon like this.
  4. Kiel555

Kiel555 Here To Help

We've had the solution for some time.

The GM posts then ALL the players post then the GM posts. This may take a few minutes or a few days. A game with 1 PC goes very fast and a game with 12 PCs goes very slow. What's important is those who have no lives need to slow down and wait while those with way too many commitments (Like can't even log on once a day and post their move/action/dialogue/etc) need to be considerate to the others and either find the time to play or excuse themselves.

5. Cejao

Cejao Famous

[​IMG]

Bob Crees, Doomen Gloom and VonLoon like this.
  6. Doomen Gloom

Doomen Gloom Famous

I have no issues with you joining the group @SomeRandomGuy in fact welcome aboard. I have been trying to go slow enough to as to not leave anyone behind, for the most part I post then everyone else does. I have a busy life, but I am able to check the forums daily, so if you want to commit to the game please try to check in daily. Come up with a character and I will introduce you to the game. :)

VonLoon, Bob Crees and Cejao like this.
  7. SomeRandomGuy

SomeRandomGuy Famous

I've no problem checking in a few times a day, I'm just not on all the time so that works for me. I'll throw a character together and have it posted later tonight.

8. SomeRandomGuy

SomeRandomGuy Famous

Name: Maxon Thanis
    Race: Human
    Class: Thief/Mage
    Secondary skill: Trader/barterer

Money: gp:105 sp:75 cp:85

Items: Rapier, Dagger, Studded Leather, Cloak, Belt, Boots (low soft), 3x large Belt Pouches, 1 small Sack, Backpack, 2x 50' Rope, Thieves tools, Tinderbox, 50 Caltrops (in small sack), 5 oil flasks, 5 torches, 1 small silver mirror, Spellbook

Spells: Read Magic, Sleep, Light, Charm Person

Bio: Grew up in a Merchant family and it looked like he was on the fast track to being a trader since he was good with numbers and at reading people, but a chance encounter with a pickpocket nudged him in a slightly different direction. He's still a trader at heart but doesn't mind helping himself to a little extra if it wouldn't cause too much trouble, though he's better at being stealthy and setting or disarming traps than picking pockets. He has some talent for magic but prefers illusion and misdirection over the more offensive spells. While not nobles themselves his family is fairly well known around the islands and often rub elbows with the upper class.
    Maxon.jpg

Last edited: Aug 14, 2017
  9. VonLoon

VonLoon Got Your Back

I think you need to be non or semi human for multi-class. Humans can be duel class but you start with one and at a chosen level start the second. When the second class surpasses the first you are considered duel class.The first class cannot go higher so its a bitch deciding what level to switch.:) Double check with doom tho. Bob uses basic DnD rules but Doom uses ADnD rules. I read somewhere you played ADnD2e {or something like that.} Rules might have changed to allow human multi classes in that version. FYI Doom and I have been buddy's for 30+ years.

ps; Would you be able to play a 3or4 hour session on a night that Bob,Doom and I play then go to random time daily-ish posts the rest of the week? It doesn't have to be the same night each week either. When you see us on we just need a bit of warning to finish up things in bobs then switch to dooms. Bob is cool with this and probably doom but I haven't confirmed it with him yet. 99% sure he will agree tho. @SomeRandomGuy @Doomen Gloom

Bob Crees, Doomen Gloom and Cejao like this.
  10. Cejao

Cejao Famous

11. VonLoon

VonLoon Got Your Back

:D Good one!

Bob Crees, Cejao and Doomen Gloom like this.
  12. Doomen Gloom

Doomen Gloom Famous

@SomeRandomGuy Mage/thief multi class characters can only be Elven, Half Elven, as per The AD&D players hand book, it is the system I am familiar with. As a half elf you can go to 8th level mage and as a elf you can go to 11th both are unlimited in thief, also advancement will be slower as experience is divided between the two classes. Let me know what you think.

https://dnd.rem.uz/Advanced D&D (unsorted)/AD&D Player's Handbook.pdf

Bob Crees and VonLoon like this.
  13. SomeRandomGuy

SomeRandomGuy Famous

Ah, 1st edition, the one I kinda skipped over. I went straight from D&D to AD&D 2nd edition (I'm 100% biased but I highly recommend checking out 2e, it took everything good about 1e and expanded on it) so I'm used to Humans being favored for dual/multiclass and having no level limit. I'm guessing Psionics are probably out too so I'll just go with Thief.

Yeah, I should be able to do a few hours at a time once or twice a week.

14. VonLoon

VonLoon Got Your Back

I liked the updated Ranger kits too.Thief is what we need anyway

15. SomeRandomGuy

SomeRandomGuy Famous

I'm fine with that. If we're going to do a few hours at a stretch maybe we could use https://roll20.net/ so it'd be more fluid, then post a summary after?

16. Doomen Gloom

Doomen Gloom Famous

It is very difficult to use all the rules in this format, there are no real character sheets and a lot of what happens needs to be adapted to a text base game the flavor is still there but for lack of a better phrase it has to be dumbed down, I am looking at the d&d stuff on steam but have not bought it yet.

Bob Crees, Cejao and VonLoon like this.
  17. SomeRandomGuy

SomeRandomGuy Famous

Don't get anything on Steam, it's TERRIBLE. DLC for every little freaking thing. If you're talking about Tabletop Simulator anyway, not sure what other AD&D material there is there.

18. VonLoon

VonLoon Got Your Back

Have you kept up on reading one or both games?

19. Doomen Gloom

Doomen Gloom Famous

I appreciate the input and am looking forward to your contribution to the game :). As I said before I am a busy guy and never thought I would be able to find the time to play D&D again, this has been fun and I am doing my best to make the game fun and challenging.
    @SomeRandomGuy started Kaltos in Bobs game many moons ago.

Bob Crees, Cejao and VonLoon like this.
  20. Doomen Gloom

Doomen Gloom Famous

I signed up for How we Roll and will look at it when I have time. @SomeRandomGuy If you want to play the mage thief I will lift the level restrictions and play Maxom as is.