AD&D Treasure Hunt and Beyond Application

Discussion in 'Forum Games' started by Doomen Gloom, Dec 30, 2016.

1. Bob Crees

Bob Crees Famous

Like I said, I have no problems for a Human to be multiclassed - after all, having to split their Exp between two classes, it takes them a very long time to reach higher levels.

Cejao and Doomen Gloom like this.
  2. Doomen Gloom

Doomen Gloom Famous

If you allow humans to multi class then level restrictions should be lifted for demihumans

Cejao and Bob Crees like this.
  3. Bob Crees

Bob Crees Famous

No I don't think so, as I said before demi humans have more abilities than humans to start with.

4. SomeRandomGuy

SomeRandomGuy Famous

I was thinking of the 1d6+1/1d8+1 (non-magical bonus) Rapier from the 2e Fighter's Handbook, but that works too.

2e Thief's Handbook Caltrops are.....a bit convoluted so the 3.5 versions might be better because it's simpler to work with. 2e THB caltrops deal with saving throws with modifiers based on how many are used, and a move speed reduction for 24 hours or until the feet are magically healed. More fun sure, but more work for the DM.

Cejao, Doomen Gloom and Bob Crees like this.
  5. Bob Crees

Bob Crees Famous

I would have seen a Rapier being 1d8 for normal sized creatures and 1d6 for 'Giant' ones. I just do not seeing it having a +1 bonus, as at the end of the day, it is just a very thin blade that can only deliver a 'Piercing' attack. A normal Long Sword can deliever both a 'Piercing' and 'Slashing' attack and there deserves to cause damage of 1d8 or 1d10.

6. SomeRandomGuy

SomeRandomGuy Famous

We did Demihumans having their favored class with unlimited advancement including multiclassing but left others limited so they wouldn't get too powerful due to their long lifespans. Imagine an Elf Mu/Cl or Mu/Dr with unlimited advancement....after a couple hundred years they'd be approaching deity level ability.

That was the reason we did no limit for Human multiclass, they just plain don't live long enough to get anywhere near that powerful. The only way for Humans to realistically get that kind of power is via artifacts.

We did open up class resitrictions though, we always thought rules like how Paladins could only be Humans or Dwarves couldn't be Mages were really lame.

The reasoning in 2e FHB was, as I understood, the thinner swords could pierce deeper into a target and slip between ribs to hit internal organs. A Longsword or Broadsword would cause larger wounds, but they were mostly surface wounds and weren't very deep because the larger blades would usually be stopped by bones.

Cejao, Doomen Gloom and Bob Crees like this.
  7. Doomen Gloom

Doomen Gloom Famous

Well buy your equipment and get your spells so I can introduce you, If you want to be a human mage thief so be it :)

8. Doomen Gloom

Doomen Gloom Famous

I need to unwind and watch some tv see you all later

9. Bob Crees

Bob Crees Famous

I see the argument of Demihumans having unlimited advancement, but like you say, their life span far out ways that of a human, so maybe such a character should only be able to increase their Exp by a 1/4 rather than a 1/2 per character class?

As for weapons, I also considered the actual fighting with a weapon. I am not sure how a Rapier would stand up against say, a Giants Club?

10. SomeRandomGuy

SomeRandomGuy Famous

We tried slower exp gain but it just ended up making them no fun to play, they leveled so slow that they'd essentially be dead weight in a group, a Demihuman Fi/Mu/Th would be at 2/1/2 while a single class character was closing in on level 4 or 5.

It wouldn't, but blades like a Rapier or Epee aren't made for blocking weapons. They can deflect other single handed blades but against anything larger you better be good at dodging because you're not parrying that Battleaxe or Claymore.

11. Bob Crees

Bob Crees Famous

Yes I agree, I was just coming up with a suggestion for a Demi Human.

As for fighting with different weapons, then there is another table within the rules (I have not used this as it just gets complicated) - I could see a Rapier being a good weapon in the hands of a seasoned fighter, but not in the hands of a novice. Though I still do not think it would deserve a +1 bonus on any hits, when matched against a Long Sword.

Cejao likes this.
  12. SomeRandomGuy

SomeRandomGuy Famous

That's the beauty of D&D, the rules are just guidelines and the DM has final say in everything. Our regular DM even came up with his own world setting including backstory and history, national boundaries and policy, new races/species including variations on standard creatures, etc.

Oh, definitely, the way we did it was anything other than the standard weapons in the PHB required proficiency before even being able to use them without a penalty. I mean, you hand a novice a Rapier and what are they going to do with it? Slash, because it's a sword. I saw this firsthand when I took Fencing during the time I was going to the local community college. It was always fun to watch someone swing a Foil around then look around at us all confused because we started laughing at them.

@Doomen Gloom
    I got my character finished, if anything is out of sorts let me know and I'll fix it. I think I got the remaining money right but math was never my strong suit so I wouldn't be surprised if I messed that up.

Doomen Gloom, Cejao and Bob Crees like this.
  13. Bob Crees

Bob Crees Famous

Yes the Rules do give a very good basis to start D&D, but the DM can change them a little to fit:) I recall a game where an individual insisted that he wished to play his character as a 'Left Hander' as he was in RL. The DM charged him more for a shield, as it had to be made to order:)

Doomen Gloom and Cejao like this.
  14. VonLoon

VonLoon Got Your Back

He ripped him off then,,Its a simple fix with a shield,,nothing at all for a round one:) I'm a lefty

Doomen Gloom, Bob Crees and Cejao like this.
  15. SomeRandomGuy

SomeRandomGuy Famous

@Doomen Gloom

Just thought of this after reading through the recent posts again to make sure I'm caught up on everything and noticed the bit about Mel's dad having someone that could guide them, if you want to use that to introduce Maxon I have no problem with it. Might be easier than coming up with something else, we could say he was going that way anyway after making a delivery to Mel's family.

16. VonLoon

VonLoon Got Your Back

I think that is the basic plan. {don't quote me tho! :)} Mel's dad has connections and was supposed to find us a thief for our next trip. We would rather have a recommended one more than a random one mainly for trust purposes anyway. I think that was mentioned somewhere in game a couple times. You would most likely meet us at his house or the inn,or just somewhere in town like the local thieves guild would be my guess. @SomeRandomGuy

Bob Crees, Cejao and Doomen Gloom like this.
  17. VonLoon

VonLoon Got Your Back

A link to the PlayersHandBook {PHB} and Potion tables on page one of both application forums would have saved bob and doom a lot of grief answering questions on spells,potions,etc in game. No idea if its possible for page one now tho.

Bob Crees, Doomen Gloom and Cejao like this.
  18. VonLoon

VonLoon Got Your Back

Just a thought I had on the debate on multiclassing, The main argument seemed to be the age factor of elves vs humans with elves attaining higher level because they lived longer. What you forgot was the population factor.The Greyhawk world consists of around 80% humans and 20% other races. Elves,dwarves,hobbits mainly but not monster types or we would run out of things to fight! :) Elves breed slowly vs humans very fast so there are"very" few elves vs "very" many humans. A few thousand high level elves don't stand a snowballs chance in hell of defeating 10s or even 100s of thousands of human mages of lower level.{1 vs 1 sure} This was factored into the game already. Then you are assuming both races but mainly elves will continue to adventure their whole lives.Some might but its unlikely many would again lowering elves chances of beating humans in an all out war.The in game history mentions great wars between elves and dwarves,,elves and humas etc knocking their numbers down to present levels with no hope of surpassing humans. Allowing humans to multiclass makes it even worse in a worldwide sense. In this game go ahead just for fun and lets see what happens but in the bigger picture it unbalances things in favor of humans not elves no matter how long they live or what special abilities they have. { imho.}

ps;; I personally have never seen or heard of a player that maxed out in levels. best I can think of is about 15th level. Clerics and Mages can go to 29th. I'm sure there are some just never heard of them anywhere.

Bob Crees and Doomen Gloom like this.
  19. Cejao

Cejao Famous

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Bob Crees likes this.
  20. FTcivic

FTcivic Here To Help

How is this going? I think I will make an application for both this, and for @Bob Crees game.

@Doomen Gloom (You still accepting applicants?)

Bob Crees likes this.