Any worries for State of Decay 2?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by NitrousOxide, Jan 4, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Deep Blue

Deep Blue Got Your Back

Admittedly, the absence of even the tiniest bit of new information since E-3 does seem . . . odd. Even if SoD 2's release window is more toward the end of April, that's only three months. And with the full force of Microsoft behind the game, you'd think both UL and MS would have at least gotten the word-of-mouth campaign started by now via more details, a few substantial gameplay videos, some in-game still-shots, and perhaps another Q&A. I hope nothing's gone wrong behind -the-scenes. That would really suck.

2. Jack Talk Thai

Jack Talk Thai Starting Off

Not sure if it's been addressed, but I'm seriously hoping for the ability to trade resources and items with other players. I'd love to join some random game and see a guy using a rare rifle or blunt weapon I've never seen, and setting up trades for such items (also hoping for tons of items of great rarity, as I love love love that sort of stuff).

The only problems I could see ruining any sort of trading between players is, of course, duping of items, and the possibility of players intentionally getting players killed for gear (this is assuming, of course, that rare item trading is even a thing and players drop rucksacks full of their loadout upon death). I could see folks training people with hordes of undead if you're holding a flamethrower or something uber and rarely-seen.

A big part of open world games for me is the item collecting and the rarity of some items, and I'm hoping SoD 2 doesn't skimp on this. It was the only thing I found remotely interesting about Dead Island, item-hunting, and it made other online games a blast to play (farming and trading in Diablo and Everquest). SoD brings a lot of my favorite bits of gaming together, still play the original as if it were new.

GEO THUNDER, Bob Crees and Deep Blue like this.
  3. DJB204

DJB204 Famous

Lack of information is what has been worrying me lately. I think we all have high expectations, and maybe that’s why information has been minimal. Are our expectations too high? Sure games can sell due to expectations, but the aftermath depends on whether or not we got what we expected. I hope we get more concrete information soon. We got images of facilities, but I’m sure everyone would of much preferred information on those facilities and their functionalities. What we’ve been getting images, trailers, etc leaves too much room for imagination. I hope the lack of information isn’t becoming a sales tactic due to us hyping and building this game up in our heads.

Kid Kayole, Bob Crees and Dbomb 12 like this.
  4. Bob Crees

Bob Crees Banned

No News is Good News I guess

PhDPeddler and DJB204 like this.
  5. DJB204

DJB204 Famous

Maybe short term until the game comes out lol. Sooner or later we will get our hands on the game and I'd appreciate knowing what I'm buying before I buy it lol. The hype and speculation might seem like a good selling point, but that is only if the game delivers. I'll buy this game regardless if the info they release is not what i expected. I still want UL and the SoD series to be successful, so i say throw us a bone lol.

6. Bob Crees

Bob Crees Banned

It looks like I am going to have to make a tough decision - Get it via the MS Store or wait to see if it comes out on Steam.

7. Kiya12352

Kiya12352 Got Your Back

please correct me if I'm wrong @Undead Nicole, but in a recent backseat driver stream Undead Nicole stated that there may be another time period where we can ask questions and that they may answer some of them.

Bob Crees likes this.
  8. Bob Crees

Bob Crees Banned

Yes but where we will be able to be ask questions?

Kid Kayole likes this.
  9. Undead Nicole

Undead Nicole Community Manager Staff Member

We're waiting on the go ahead for this, but we do expect that we'll be able to start answering some questions soon. :)

PhDPeddler, Kiya12352, Rooney and 2 others like this.
  10. The problem is though this game is stated for a spring 2018 so at most UL has till the end of May to meet that release goal but I find it incredibly worrying that there has been what i would describe as a complete blackout of any information about this sequel to the original state of decay normally with 1-4 months to go at least some gameplay should be shown ( I know there is some gameplay in the trailer but thats all it is a trailer that stuff can be touched up to look good before showing) Its usual at e3 to have demo's small segments of the game shown which then have youtubers, twitch streamers and the like show there own small 5 min gameplay and their thoughts this normally kick starts the hype train and gives the gaming community a taste of what to look forward to but with spring fast approaching I feel the hype train hasn't even been moved on the tracks let alone started moving. All we know about the game soo far is there will be alot of traits so survivors will feel different, bases and base building/upgrading and something called blood plague but no real indepth info on that sooo.... yeah thats about the sum total we have about the game . I really hope If the post above is right and they expect to start answering questions soon they set a fairly large amount of time for this coming q&a cos they have alot of ground to cover. I really really hope things come together soon as I loved the first game butI cant shake this bad feeling that this game might be delayed again and over shadowed by other great games coming out in 2018 and being sent into obscurity which would be a great shame.
    Sorry for the ramble but I really had to voice my worries and it seems a few on this thread were think along the lines as me.

Kiya12352 and Bob Crees like this.
  11. Psienist

Psienist Got Your Back

I worry that NPC AI won't be adequate and about other things than can be eventually fixed. I worry about other things such as whether I can give followers advanced instructions, stand at my A and B o'clock and use pistols when zombies get within X yards, but those worries are actually just things I want. What I worry most about is something that will be extremely difficult to fix after the game is released; that the studio won't create coherent rules, and respect those rules, for their version of the zombie apocalypse. It is very easy to play fast and loose with these rules but zombie enthusiasts take the rules seriously and because the ZA would occur in the real world, zombie enthusiasts are well qualified to extrapolate the world-wide scope of the ZA from the basic rules for zombie creation and behavior. Essentially I worry their realization of the zombie apocalypse will be too vague and the play experience resembles an ant colony simulator where ants are motivated by Skinner boxes.

The zombie apocalypse genre is saturated with vaguely realized worlds and enthusiasts are hungry for intelligent and sincere worlds. So no pressure.

xGbHx and Bob Crees like this.
  12. MrStrange

MrStrange Got Your Back

I think the majority of my hopes are on one of the Wish List threads.

I'm just worried instead of adding to the game, they'll just remove things or change things. Doubt it, but just voicing that vague thought.

Not a lot of trust in publishers keeping their hands out of development.

GEO THUNDER and Bob Crees like this.
  13. QMJS

QMJS Famous

You're right. But without any information, expectations continue to grow and grow, until they reach the point where they can't possibly live up to it. I've seen it with a number of games in the past.

Then, when released, people are generally disappointed, not because the game is bad, but because they expected so much more.

Bob Crees, DJB204 and Vers like this.
  14. Vers

Vers Here To Help

Honestly, if someone creates unrealistic expectations, that's on them. That's not UL or M$'s responsibility.

Yes it would be great to know what you're buying, but that's what reviews are for. Blind faith in a special edition prior to release (raises hand that has bracelet reading "never again") is on the consumer. If anyone has a shred of doubt, they owe it to themselves to rent/read reviews before a major purchase. And more than anything, buying a hard copy so they can return it if they aren't satisfied.

Bob Crees and DJB204 like this.
  15. QMJS

QMJS Famous

Individually, certainly. But those people who are disappointed won't recommend the game, and may actively encourage others to skip it.

Bob Crees and Vers like this.
  16. DJB204

DJB204 Famous

Luckily for some (including myself) SoD2 is releasing as part of the Xbox Game Pass subscription. We will be able to play before we pay. Very cool.

Bob Crees and Vers like this.
  17. Bob Crees

Bob Crees Banned

I will await your views:)

DJB204 likes this.
  18. DJB204

DJB204 Famous

I’ll do my best to provide you with an unbiased review with both its pros and cons. It will in the end be just my opinion though. I really appreciate that it will be playable via Game Pass for a couple reasons. First - UL stated YOSE would run at a rock solid framerate (which it didn’t). I purchased YOSE based on those false promises or blind faith lol. In the end it was like the old saying goes....

“Fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice, shame on me.”

Thanks to Game Pass, my worries for a bad investment are gone. No matter how they advertise SoD2, and what ever they promise to deliver in SoD2, we will be able to see for ourselves before spending our money. Regardless of how I feel about the game, I will most likely purchase the game regardless as soon as it cycles out of Game Pass. I want the SoD franchise to be successful. I hope SoD2 delivers.

shinigami and Bob Crees like this.
  19. Bob Crees

Bob Crees Banned

Well playing on a PC I have never really had an issue with the Frame Rate, though for me some places in YOSE are worse than the original BD, but not a game breaker.

DJB204 likes this.
  20. DJB204

DJB204 Famous

I’ll do my best to provide you with an unbiased review with both its pros and cons. It will in the end be just my opinion though. I really appreciate that it will be playable via Game Pass for a couple reasons. First - UL stated YOSE would run at a rock solid framerate (which it didn’t). I purchased YOSE based on those false promises or blind faith lol. In the end it was like the old saying goes....

“Fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice, shame on me.”

Thanks to Game Pass, my worries for a bad investment are gone. No matter how they advertise SoD2, and what ever they promise to deliver in SoD2, we will be able to see for ourselves before spending our money.
    true. I’ve played on PC and it is much more stable, and your right about no game breaking issues. I can see how YOSE Breakdown can present more issues then the original though, that last update to Breakdown on YOSE changed a lot of things including increased spawn rate which was capped at level 12 in the original. The increased zed numbers do impact performance.

Bob Crees likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.