Are you Crashing on PC?

Discussion in 'State of Decay Bugs' started by Undead Nicole, Jun 26, 2014.

1. Undead Nicole

Undead Nicole Community Manager Staff Member

We've gotten many reports of crashes over the last few weeks and I thought I could address much of this in one post. If you are crashing on exit, we're aware of this issue and are looking into it. You shouldn't lose any progress from these crashes and it doesn't harm the game or your computer.

You'll receive a DMP file from this crash, but it's okay to just delete it.

If you're crashing before the game starts or while you are playing, that's a different matter and we do need to find out why.

Before you send me your files (And I'll let you know which ones I need in a moment) answer these questions, yes or no.

1. Are your drivers both up to date and WHQL signed?
    2. Have you added SoD to your Anti-virus and Firewall Exception List?
    3. Is your Power Supply and Cooling System working properly? Use GPU-z or CPU-z to check for overheating.
    4. Are you running Mods? Are they all up to date? (ie – do they work with State of Decay without making it crash.)
    5. Are you running Nexus? (Mod) (It's been known to make SoD crash). If so, have you removed it or disabled it?
    6. Are you running X-fire? It's also been known to make SoD crash. If so, have you removed it or disabled it?
    7. Have you tried this - Try this: go to steam library, right click on State of Decay, choose "properties". In the first tab go to "starting options" and put here: -resx=1280 -resy=720 -fullscreen
    • Also put your monitor resolution to 1280x720.
    • When in game, put your correct resolution.
    8. Are you using SweetFX? If so, 8.1 doesn't work with Windows 8.
    9. Are you using Gigabyte OC Guru II on-screen display? If so, this has been known to crash your system upon running SoD. After disabling, are you still crashing?
    10. Is your GPU Overclocked? If so, please roll it back to a regular state. SoD has issues with Overclocked cards. It stresses the system and causes crashes.

11. Have you updated to VCredist 2012?
    Go to this location on your PC and run vcredist again. It should update to 2012 rather than 2010 \Steamapps\common\State of Decay\_CommonRedist\vcredist\2010\vcredist_x64.exe

If you've answered yes to all of these questions and you are still crashing, please send the following to my email (nicole at undeadlabs dot com) with the subject: State of Decay Crash.
    Your files are located in:
    • C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\State of Decay YOSE\USER

1. Save files of the games you are playing when you crash.
    2. CFG files (These are your user stats / config files)
    3. DMP Files
    4. DxDiag (Your most recent one please.) Open DirectX Diagnostic Tool by clicking the Start button [​IMG], typing dxdiag in the Search box, and then pressing ENTER.
    5. Steam User ID – if you could include the link of your ID number as well that would be great.)
    6. A detailed description of what you were doing when you crashed.
    7. Your forum user name and a link to any thread you've posted regarding your crash.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2015
  2. Soooo fun playing a game you bought that just crashes your computer over and over no matter what fixes you try.

3. Axios

Axios Got Your Back

In a small amount of cases is only the game that crash sending user back to desktop, not the pc. Which part of this thread suggested you that crash the pc and not only the game?

No windows or hw crash, just the game close itself.

4. Which part of this thread suggests that its only the game not the pc?
    The game itself has never crashed for me. My computer though has crashed about 12 times. It just black screens like the video card crashed or something. It happened 6 times in an hour yesterday. I can't even play it anymore.

5. Undead Nicole

If you are crashing, please follow the steps listed above and send me an email. :)

6. Nengtaka

Nengtaka Here To Help

Does your computer restart or shutdown? This would be a PC crash.
    If the game just goes black, and you have to close it through something like the Task Manager, it is the game crashing, not the PC.

7. Yes I know the difference between a pc crash and a game crash. This is a pc crash

8. Undead Nicole

Note that if your entire machine is shutting down, you're likely having a heating or power problem.

Nengtaka likes this.
  9. Nengtaka

Nengtaka Here To Help

The way you had described it made it sound like your PC just froze, not that it shut down entirely.

10. hi, could somebody give me an advice what to do, i somehow managed to get 60 survivors ( yeah, i have no idea why i collect them ) and i started CTD-ing. game never had such issues and it only started with this kind of high number of survivors. i cant kill them, because i CTD everytime i try to get out of my base :( i dunno what to do. i cant advance to next breakdown level as well :(

11. I'll try to explain it better. When I turn my monitor on without the pc being on it will cycle through hdmi-1, hdmi-2 etc. When I turn the pc on it stops cycling and stays on hdmi-1. Now when this crash happens, the monitor starts cycling again like the pc isn't hooked up to it. It has that frozen audio and the only thing I can do is force a shutdown with the power button.

12. I'm not having either one of those

13. YojimBeau

YojimBeau Famous

Definitely sounds like your GPU is shutting down, but as she said...

14. Undead Nicole

I know it sound's rough, but if your computer is actually shutting down, it's shutting your machine off to preserve your hardware from overheating or not enough power.

15. I guarantee you that's not the problem. This is the only game it does this with. It can happen 5 seconds after loading in the game or it can happen after playing for 2 hours. This doesn't happen with watchdogs, doesn't happen when I play and stream smite for 4 hours, doesn't happen with any game I play except this one. My temps are fine

16. please somebody respond to me!

17. Axios

Axios Got Your Back

Hi, post your dxdiag.txt.

Also the save may be corrupted. Wait for Undead Nicole. She may ask to send her the file.

18. Undead Nicole

60 survivors is going to crash your machine. The resource load is too high. I believe that you can safely tap out at 45 survivors.

Axios likes this.
  19. firstly, thanks for your response. Then i figured that much, but now the question is what should i do? how do i kill some of them or some similar solution?
    ps. on a side note, it would be nice if it was mentioned somewhere that there is a limit to how many survivors you can have... maybe limit them from the game itself? like lily saying that our population is already high or something... /sigh
    BTW. maybe decreasing graphics will help. but i doubt it.

20. CaptainAssassin

CaptainAssassin Here To Help

You can't advance? Even with just 6 people? Or is the RV not ready?

I would imagine there's a way to open the save file and delete survivors from your community. Probably should back it up before attempting it, though.