Are you Crashing on PC?

Discussion in 'For PC Players Only' started by Undead Nicole, Jun 26, 2014.

1. Undead Nicole

Undead Nicole Community Manager Staff Member

We've gotten many reports of crashes over the last few weeks and I thought I could address much of this in one post. If you are crashing on exit, we're aware of this issue and are looking into it. You shouldn't lose any progress from these crashes and it doesn't harm the game or your computer.

You'll receive a DMP file from this crash, but it's okay to just delete it.

If you're crashing before the game starts or while you are playing, that's a different matter and we do need to find out why.

Before you send me your files (And I'll let you know which ones I need in a moment) answer these questions, yes or no.

1. Are your drivers both up to date and WHQL signed?
    2. Have you added SoD to your Anti-virus and Firewall Exception List?
    3. Is your Power Supply and Cooling System working properly? Use GPU-z or CPU-z to check for overheating.
    4. Are you running Mods? Are they all up to date? (ie – do they work with State of Decay without making it crash.)
    5. Are you running Nexus? (Mod) (It's been known to make SoD crash). If so, have you removed it or disabled it?
    6. Are you running X-fire? It's also been known to make SoD crash. If so, have you removed it or disabled it?
    7. Have you tried this - Try this: go to steam library, right click on State of Decay, choose "properties". In the first tab go to "starting options" and put here: -resx=1280 -resy=720 -fullscreen
    • Also put your monitor resolution to 1280x720.
    • When in game, put your correct resolution.
    8. Are you using SweetFX? If so, 8.1 doesn't work with Windows 8.
    9. Are you using Gigabyte OC Guru II on-screen display? If so, this has been known to crash your system upon running SoD. After disabling, are you still crashing?
    10. Is your GPU Overclocked? If so, please roll it back to a regular state. SoD has issues with Overclocked cards. It stresses the system and causes crashes.

11. Have you updated to VCredist 2012?
    Go to this location on your PC and run vcredist again. It should update to 2012 rather than 2010 \Steamapps\common\State of Decay\_CommonRedist\vcredist\2010\vcredist_x64.exe

If you've answered yes to all of these questions and you are still crashing, please send the following to my email (nicole at undeadlabs dot com) with the subject: State of Decay Crash.
    Your files are located in:
    • C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\State of Decay YOSE\USER

1. Save files of the games you are playing when you crash.
    2. CFG files (These are your user stats / config files)
    3. DMP Files C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\State of Decay YOSE\USER
    4. DxDiag (Your most recent one please.) Open DirectX Diagnostic Tool by clicking the Start button [​IMG], typing dxdiag in the Search box, and then pressing ENTER.
    5. Steam User ID – if you could include the link of your ID number as well that would be great.)
    6. A detailed description of what you were doing when you crashed.
    7. Your forum user name and a link to any thread you've posted regarding your crash.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2015
    Taz D'vil, nartazen, oakside and 4 others like this.
  2. Crhymez

Crhymez Got Your Back

A good question to ask is if the player is using SweetFX.
    If they are 1.5.1 is not compatible with windows 8 os 8.1

but sweetfx 1.4 is

3. Undead Nicole

Thanks. :)

4. LiNanMian1984

LiNanMian1984 Here To Help

I just crash to desktop (game minimizes) and then I click on the tab and bam. Back in game.

I have only crash issues when I quit the game, never when I start it.

5. Bob Crees

Bob Crees Famous

Only crashing when I quit the game. I have a new PC, so it should be okay?

nartazen likes this.
  6. Undead Nicole

Yep, crashing on exit is okay. We're aware and looking into it.

nartazen likes this.
  7. Crhymez

Crhymez Got Your Back

are people quitting game before it can finish its auto save?
    the game says not to turn off pc while saving BUT it allows you to exit the main menu while its mod save. I tend to wait about 30 after i exit to main menu before exiting the game

8. Bob Crees

Bob Crees Famous

Seems fine now -just logged out of BD and all good:)

9. dynastyhan

dynastyhan Famous

how much influence did you pay to avoid crashing ? :p

10. Undead Nicole

That's a really good question Crhymez.

11. hello there
    i sent email to you please reply
    i really love the game but the promlem i cant start it up =(

12. Crhymez

Crhymez Got Your Back

Ok so i just had my first real crash on exiting. I know what caused it. I just beat the story mode. then exited to menu. i couldn't start the lifeline DLC because i needed to restart the game. When i exited the game i crashed. Then if i went back in story mode it was on the wall mission. if i exited the game again it would crash. So i deleted my story profile and now no more crashes

13. i didnt see before but i checked now and the game works thank you :)

7. Have you tried this - Try this: go to steam library, right click on State of Decay, choose "properties". In the first tab go to "starting options" and put here: -resx=1280 -resy=720 - fullscreen
    • Also put your monitor resolution to 1280x720.
    • When in game, put your correct resolution.

Axios likes this.
  14. turbo

turbo Starting Off

Mine is a threading issue.. crash during play. Frequent. Looked at the error file in Visual Studio. Oh, and saved it to a .txt file if devs are interested.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2014
  15. Undead Nicole

Please do send it along as well as the other requested files. :) I'll pass it along.

16. turbo

turbo Starting Off

Done.

17. hi, could somebody give me an advice what to do, i somehow managed to get 60 survivors ( yeah, i have no idea why i collect them ) and i started CTD-ing. game never had such issues and it only started with this kind of high number of survivors. i cant kill them, because i CTD everytime i try to get out of my base :( i dunno what to do. i cant advance to next breakdown level as well :(

18. Nengtaka

Nengtaka Here To Help

If it started once you hit 60 it could just be that the game can't handle that many NPCs in one place. You might just have to restart, but I would get some help from someone that is tech savvy.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2014
  19. Undead Nicole

You have too many survivors friend. The more bodies you have in the game, the harder it works. If you can't get on long enough to get rid of about 15 of them, you'll have to start a new game.

20. BridgetFisher

BridgetFisher Got Your Back

My game crashes everytime I exit the game, I dont know why. I own all the DLC maybe that is why? When I exit my screen goes black, I need to open task manager and close the crashed popup to get back to my desktop.

SteamID: http://steamcommunity.com/id/BridgetFisher

Last edited: Aug 5, 2014