Are you Crashing on PC?

Discussion in 'For PC Players Only' started by Undead Nicole, Jun 26, 2014.

1. Undead Nicole

Undead Nicole Community Manager Staff Member

I am at a complete loss here. Those black blocks over the text is generally due to a driver issue. I can't think of why you are crashing. That doesn't make sense if everything is up to date. What drive is the game located on? Have you tried running as Admin?

Bob Crees likes this.
  2. Yes im tried running as Admin, nothing changed. I set up Steam on driver D.

Bob Crees likes this.
  3. Del44ZSlayer

Del44ZSlayer Here To Help

Unfortunately this is slightly out of my comfort zone as I play usually via Xbox, I'm only just trying out PC myself. I'm sorry you are struggling to resolve this issue, I have read quite a few similar issues, and I do keep hearing people mentioning it happens after recent Windows 10 update? Unfortunately i wouldn't even begin to know what to suggest. My fail safe when something doesn't work is first to turn off power and do complete system restart, and second, uninstalling then re installing the game in question, but this is my basic patch work when a problem arrises I'm afraid. I really hope you get this resolved soon, I'd be lost without the ability to play State of Decay. Hopefully someone more tech savvy reads this post and can give you the info you need to fix this issue. Good luck @ArgentNova.

Bob Crees likes this.
  4. Undead Nicole

This may be the problem. We've seen issues with players who aren't on the C drive. I have no idea why on Earth it would make a difference, but try installing the game on C if you can and see if that helps.

Bob Crees likes this.
  5. Here im turn back to first step. HOPE, or NOPE... Original State of Decay doesn't support Windows 10 right? What would customers do against this problem? What happen if this problem repeat in the future? Customers buying SOD2 and Windowss uprgrading maybe 11. And we lost again Sod2 because we are choose win11. This is like a puzzle but i don't know what is the true piece in the tablo. If my system have a problem i can't play a lot of game.

Bob Crees likes this.
  6. Undead Nicole

I haven't heard of any other problems with playing the original game on Windows 10 yet. We had some issues with YOSE but those issues were corrected with the steps I noted above. Since I can't tinker around in your system, I honestly don't know why it's not working for you. It works on my system and I have Windows 10. :( I am really sorry that you're having these problems with the game.

Bob Crees likes this.
  7. Its okay, i just loved this game. I don't know maybe this my last comment.

Here is my Steam Commen about SOD in 2014 8 April
    "Var olan bütün survival tarzı oyunlara kafa tutabilecek nitelikte Singleplayer'i aratmayan geniş role play içeriğine sahip harika bir oyun . DayZ mi SoD mu dersek SoD derim. Hack kullanan troller yok en azından :)"
    mean " It is a great game with a large role play content. I think its the best survival zombie game. If you ask my opinion DayZ or SoD? I chooce SoD. Because there is no cheaters here :)" Perhabs i should waid SOD2. Desperatly and sadly :D

8. QMJS

QMJS Famous

Here is one more thing to try. I don't think it was mentioned yet. Windows 10 doesn't have earlier versions of DirectX installed. Try installing the DXSETUP from C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\State of Decay\_CommonRedist\DirectX\Jun2010 (or the equivalent path on your machine.) Make sure to run it as an administrator (and if you didn't install the visual C stuff as an admin, redo that as well.)

Bob Crees and Del44ZSlayer like this.
  9. Undead Nicole

You are a blessing. <3

Bob Crees and QMJS like this.
  10. I did and after tried to play a game. Results: FAILED! I don't know why this sh*t doesn't open.

Attached Files:

Bob Crees likes this.
  11. QMJS

QMJS Famous

That is quite bizarre. That is most of the things that have corrected issues for other people, and specifically for this type of problem.

Here are some other things that may help, but don't appear to be directly related. It wouldn't hurt to try them. It is surprising how many issues restarting Steam can correct. Every single time Steam queues up an update it causes problems for me. So, I generally shut it down and restart before I start playing now.

First, shutdown Steam and then start it as an administrator. Start the game. If it starts properly, exit and shut down Steam again and then restart it normally.

In Steam, go to the Library, select the game and right click. Select properties, and a small window will appear.
    On the first tab, General, turn off the 'Enable Steam Overlay while in game'.
    On the second tab, Updates, set them to 'High Priority- Always update this game before others'.
    On the third tab, Local Files, select the 'verify Integrity of Game Files', and let that run. If it finds any, wait for those to complete downloading.

You could also try running the game in Big Picture mode. (The top right icons in Steam, looks like a picture of a game controller.)

If none of those work, I am at a loss. That is pretty much the entire list of things that I have seen help people with any problem, other than people who have used cracks or pirated versions.

Bob Crees likes this.
  12. I will try everything you write sir. Also my SOD isn't pirate version :D
    İşlem Numarası: 186092829239074020
    Ödeme Yöntemi: 18 ile biten Visa kartınıza iade edildi.
    Satın alındı: 31 Ağu 2014 @ 14:28
    State of Decay - $4.99 USD

Ara toplam $19.99 USD
    İndirim -$15.00 USD USD ( -75%)
    Toplam $4.99 USD

Del44ZSlayer and Bob Crees like this.
  13. THIS FIXED MY SOUND ISSUES!

14. QMJS

QMJS Famous

Oh, I didn't mean for that to sound as if I was accusing you of piracy. I was just noting that some people who have run pirate versions will always have some problems.

Hopefully one of those will work.

Bob Crees and ArgentNova like this.
  15. I'm starting angry. This god damn game why doesn't work ! I did what can you say part to part it doesn't work this god damn game is broken... Its enough im done. I certainly will not buy SOD2, never even free...

16. Undead Nicole

Hey now. We're trying to help you out here. There is no need to get angry. You are experiencing an unfortunate case of something just not working right. The game works for most people. Unfortunately, you are not one of them right now. We're doing what we can to help with that.

Del44ZSlayer and Bob Crees like this.
  17. Kismette

Kismette Got Your Back

It does get rather frustrating when the known fixes doesn't work. I've skimmed through your posts and have came up with other possible solutions, apologies if I've missed anything and already covered some of them.

- Okay, first thing I've noticed is that you have a GTX 860M besides the integrated 4600, have you tried using that instead?
    - Then, I wasn't sure if you were using any mods. If you are, try to disable them just to see if a 'pure' game loads up at all, (some) non-updated mods do cause crashes.
    - And finally, you've mentioned the game crashing after the intro, so only download and install this one mod (for now, to see if it works):
    http://www.nexusmods.com/stateofdecay/mods/23/? - This is for the Original SoD which you also mentioned is what you're trying to run

I'd like to add that the original State of Decay do work on Windows 10, for me. I've uninstalled this awhile back when I got YOSE and reinstalled this not too long ago (but before the creator's update) because I wanted to verify something out and it works - at least from the start of Story Mode until reaching the Ranger Station where I ended the test.

Bob Crees likes this.
  18. QMJS

QMJS Famous

Ok, reviewing the DXDiag again, the issue State of Decay is having is an application compatibility problem. (PCA2 is the program compatibility advisor)

After some more digging, there are two possible causes.

The first is a Steam problem with it's temporary information storage.
    1. Shutdown Steam
    2. Go to C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam
    3. Rename ClientRegistry.blob to ClientRegistry.old
    4. Restart Steam. You will need to login again. It will create a new copy of the ClientRegistry.blob
    5. Start the game and test

The second is a problem with the video driver installation. You could try to reinstall the new driver that you loaded, or back up one version.

And, if you did change the compatibility settings, go back and remove them and just run it normally.

Bob Crees likes this.

19. Nothing changed...

20. I don't want to be angry no more. Please thanks for all. You are really tried to fix this strange problem. Im happy without sod just broken

Del44ZSlayer likes this.