Ask Erik and Brant: Oh, Shoot. 8/12/2013

Discussion in 'State of Decay News' started by Undead Sanya, Aug 12, 2013.

1. I'd like to combine that with being able to leave the sirens on in the Police Car.

Turn on the sirens, hit the gas, and then tuck and roll out of the vehicle. You then get up, dust yourself off, and as a couple of hordes swarm the car you trigger the detonator. The screen goes bright and your character is buffeted by the explosion. Looking back a smirk is on your face and then you turn and start to walk away. Along the way you get out a cigarette and light it on a bit of flaming shoe that landed in front of you. Another day in paradise.

Or at least that is how I picture it. Truth be told I would likely end up triggering it by accident in the middle of nowhere.

2. Can we please have Flamethrower/pulserifle combo :) :)

3. Questions:
    Brant:
    Would it be possible to personalize a weapon for an individual character? Once a character maxes out a weapon specialization give the option at a work shop that would allow the character tailor a weapon to that character. This could be a custom grip, weapon reinforcement, smoother reload, etc. This customization would give a small benefit to that character when using that particular weapon. Visually there wouldn't need to be a change to the model's texture, and the description might put "X's Weapon" on it. This benefit would also be balanced by the material cost and time it would need in the shop.

Erik
    Zombie Survival Questions:
    1-If you found out that the main water source was filled with rotting corpses, what would you do for water?

2-Zombie Apocalypse happens, you're in a vehicle convoy and you come to a infested town(similar to Marshall) with zero survivor signs. What shops would be top priority to check for supplies? What general supplies would at the top of your list?

3-What survival aspect do you feel gets the most overlooked in zombie stories?

Both
    If you had to utilize the Pterodactyl in a survival scenario, what would you do with it? (Trap, diversion to keep yourself sane, etc.)

4. Asmileyfish

Asmileyfish Starting Off

Survival Question... non game related but appropriate.

To Brant and the survival guy. What type of building would you want to live in if there actualy was a zombie appocalypse and why?

5. Any chance of a crossbow or bow?

6. To whom ever that can give me some insight.Since we have a workshop to our disposal,I feel like its lacking with some cool options such as someone mentioned earlier a crossbow or even a bow and arrow,create more look out towers at our home base.Since we have a library,would it be possible if we had a tools expert be able to do some research so he can add some armor to some of the vehicles and such.Would it be possible to dual wield a machete or even a pistol.All we would need is a fire arms expert and also a fitness expert and a dojo right?

7. IrishDead

IrishDead Here To Help

fantastic stream UL :)

8. Abhor Deities

Abhor Deities Got Your Back

Yeah, it was pretty sweet.

9. JustinRuin

JustinRuin Starting Off

Missed it. What were the biggest questions that were asked and answered?

10. Undead Brant

Undead Brant Developer Staff Member

Sorry I didn't get to all the answers in the stream. I'll answer some of them here:

1) the most popular question seems to be customization. No, we have not started talking about customization for any DLC, the system that we'd have to create is complicated and we don't have the resources to try to tackle that in a way that would be satisfactory, so it's a non-starter at this point. CLASS4, if it's ever made, I intend to push for a comprehensive crafting/customization system for guns, melee and items.

2) bows/crossbows: to be honest, a crossbow would be the only thing I'd consider trying, since the mechanics are more like a rifle. There are a host of issues that we'd need to get past first, like how to deal with a new ammo type, do we allow retrieval of arrows (which we don't have a system for) and some animation and physics based issues that require more programmer and design time than seems prudent.

3) c4 or player detonated explosives: again, like the crossbows, new systems would have to be engineered for this functionality. Awesome as it would be, it has not really gathered a lot of support because of other system priorities.

NOTE: I will always be pushing to try new and different things with weapons, I've been very busy making prototypes of various weapons, trying to push the boundaries we have in place. Some are successful, some are not, we shall see what makes the cut but I'm really trying to broaden the experience.

Brant

11. Undead Brant

I'll address the last question:

I'd teach it how to accept a rider, then fly around providing hope as Toruk-Ptero...boooo!

IllBlazer likes this.
  12. Enzo_Guy

Enzo_Guy Here To Help

Sure, I have a question for ya Brant: why does Sgt Tan have an HK416C (aka the 416 CQB)? Unless I missed something, he seems to be just a standard infantry NCO, not some Delta Force grim reaper he'd have to be for the Army to let him carry that instead of his standard-issue M16/M4. I mean I'd buy him being airborne or even 75th, but even then he wouldn't have the kind of pull to carry a gun like that hahaha! I'm just nitpicking semantics for the fun of it (just like the PS90 select-fire situation lol), I'm sure you'll either tell me I never know who he really could be or he just looted it off someone along the way (plus that PS90 being full-auto don't bother me, more automatic guns is always a good thing hahaha).

Oh, and if you're looking a beta tester willing to run a few hundred rounds through any of those prototypes shoot me a PM. Don't worry, I'll keep my mouth shut about them if need be haha!

Last edited: Aug 13, 2013
  13. Undead Brant

Even he started looting.

14. Enzo_Guy

Enzo_Guy Here To Help

Haha, I knew it was coming! Is "seized whiskey" really his way of saying "confiscated tax-free clear whiskey in unmarked plastic jugs and I also commandeered this shiny new assault rifle from the same people" when he explains why he has pull with the artillery gunners?

Like I said, I'm willing to beta test any guns if you have some way to send them to me with all your techno wizardry stuff these days lol. I'm laid off until next month so I've got plenty of time should you ever need another barely informed opinion on if something is going bang the wrong way or not haha.

15. AcidPANTALONES

AcidPANTALONES Starting Off

I missed the stream as well. were my questions answered?

16. Erik Schmidt

Erik Schmidt Master Armorer

Thanks for letting me join in on the podcast Brant.

17. Erik Schmidt

ACR question

18. Erik Schmidt

1- In an ideal circumstance, you wouldn't want to deal with water that's got decaying bodies in it, but assuming there's no choice... it's fairly simple to create a still and by boiling the water and catching the condensation you remove the impurities. Assuming of course that you have the raw materials and considerations that would allow such a thing. (Like at a safe zone/ base camp)

Here's a simple link that teaches how to purify water-
    http://www.wildwoodsurvival.com/survival/water/purification.html

2- As with anything, you have to prioritize the basis necessities of life first. Food/water, medicine and then gadgets. (Beans, Bandages, Bullets and Batteries)

3- What survival aspect gets overlooked?

I guess that depends on the genre. I think that the most aggravating thing to me is when movies/ games have people doing things that people simply don't do. And if I'm allowed a little license... I think State of Decay addresses that about as well as you are likely to find. Certainly better than many movies on the subject.

It's my belief that the human element would be as, or more, dangerous than the zombie infestation. I like the direction "Walking Dead" takes on that note.

About the Tacti-Dactyl... I would be inclined to use it as a trap. It's so conspicuous and likely to draw attention I can see using it as means to attract the curious and then either drop it on a Tango (simple deadfall trap) or use it as a sniper initiated explosive device for a crowd pleasing pyrotechnical Pterror-dactyl.

Alas, they didn't take me up on some of my more blood thirsty ideas.

19. Erik Schmidt

I love weapons questions!

20. Erik Schmidt

If I had the resources and time beforehand to "prep"? I'd do this:

http://undergroundshelters.com/cat25/

I might also attempt a series of earthen works patterned after the old Viking ring forts.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Viking_ring_fortress

I dunno... making an Ewok Village might be fun too.