Ask Erik and Brant: Oh, Shoot. 8/12/2013

Discussion in 'State of Decay News' started by Undead Sanya, Aug 12, 2013.

1. Erik Schmidt

Erik Schmidt Master Armorer

I was a 1371, Combat Engineer.

Good luck "Poolie." Never lose the "boot" mentality as you move along in the Corps. The minute you get to thinking you've got it all down; CHAOS. (Commandant Has Another OUTSTANDING Suggestion)

-Erik

Last edited: Aug 14, 2013
  2. Erik Schmidt

AH HA HA HA HA!!! Taruk-Ptero!!!

3. How did you go about making the guns feel unique and was it hard to find a point between realistic and actually fun to use?

4. Thanks for replying bout the charges good luck with the dlc can't wait to see what new stuff we get

5. Undead Brant

Undead Brant Developer Staff Member

With games that balance is always very difficult but it really depends on the type of game to determine where you put the break point between reality/gameplay. A competitive FPS like CoD has really accurate models and completely unrealistic reload times and maintenance (no jams, ever) vs. a ballistic simulation where you try to model all the factors of actually making a successful shot including environmental, mechanical and biological (the shooter) conditions. Somewhere in there, there is a balance that is right for your intent, and you hope that you have enough programmer and designer time allocated to tune it correctly and add the systems that will flesh it out. We left a lot of things out, like correct reload animations and real-world range capabilities in faovr of the variety of guns you get but we included jams and maintenance issues to balance out and emphasize the type of gameplay we were trying to get.

6. Undead Brant

No problem my friend, everyone here was hoping someone with actual knowledge would come along so they didn't have to listen to me build a house of lies every week!

7. Rusty

Rusty Got Your Back

Will the north west section of the map be made available as dlc possibly?

It would be a shame to have all that land go to waste... :eek:

map1.jpg

8. Undead Brant

Ummm, Enzo... your knowledge about the subject of firearms makes me feel inadequate, as evidenced by the number of times you've corrected my errors/outright devious lies. I now defer to you on most things related to guns on these forums. Though my buddy Erik has quite a bit of trigger time too.

9. Undead Brant

Rusty, I doubt it, we pushed right up against the memory barrier with the initial release and we are concentrating on trying to give you new experiences after the Sandbox DLC.

10. King of AR

King of AR Got Your Back

11. Rusty

Rusty Got Your Back

Cool, thank you buddy!

I dig it. *twiddles fingers ala Mr. Burns* I'm looking forward to Sandbox and also this new experience you guys are working on to follow it you speak of.

*starts furiously developing ideas for what the experience after sanbox is* lol :eek:

12. Erik Schmidt

13. Erik Schmidt

A few people were asking about story content from a ground pounder's perspective, having to be the one's charged with the mission to stop the zombie menace.

I whole heartedly embrace this idea.

(Poking Brant with a stick)

14. Capt.C.Baker

Capt.C.Baker Here To Help

Hey Erik, welcome to the forums!

15. Erik Schmidt

Thank you! Nice to be here!

16. IrishDead

IrishDead Here To Help

I think we need him dancing Gagnum style (on video of course) as the initiation.

17. Capt.C.Baker

Capt.C.Baker Here To Help

Sounds like a good idea. :p I'm still waiting for Gagnum Style with bells on.....

Last edited: Aug 14, 2013
  18. Undead Brant

Quiet, both of you!

19. MstrJedi Kyle

MstrJedi Kyle Here To Help

I can provide the song!

20. Erik Schmidt