Ask Shaun (Questions for the stream on 7/23)

Discussion in 'State of Decay News' started by Undead Sanya, Jul 22, 2013.

1. Undead Sanya

Undead Sanya Administrator

This thread is for anyone wishing to ask a question of our Technical Director on the Tuesday live stream this week. Shaun is very patient with me, but I'm sure he will also enjoy being able to answer questions about programming without having to endure my theater-major-self trying to understand both the questions and the answers ;)

I cannot promise all questions will be answered - as those of you who regularly attend the streams know, it can get chaotic. But we'll do our best, as always.

http://undeadlabs.com/2013/07/news/tomorrows-twitch-feat-brant-and-shaun-of-the-undead/

2. Coyote

Coyote Got Your Back

Whats the future of SoD, if any? Sequels? Is class4 the sequel or will there be something released in the interim?

How is bringing/asking an NPC to follow you going to work? Will there be an "action wheel" similar to Fallout New Vegas?

Will the accompanying NPC has a boosted AI? By this I mean will more data be allocated for his actions given whatever sitaution you may encounter with said NPC?

Will the NPC, while on missions with you, also suffer from fatigue and need to rest? IF so will they fatigue faster or slower given whatever traits they may have?

Any info on the new weapons or gear that may make it into the TU3?

3. Undead Sanya

Undead Sanya Administrator

He isn't going to be able to answer questions about the future :/

4. Mad cannibal

Mad cannibal Here To Help

Is there ever going to be a chance of a survivor creator?

5. Is it possible with the current tech to have certain areas of the map, or certain buildings randomised for sandbox mode. So that every map isnt exactly the same.

How difficult is it to make old locations. AKA, the courthouse the wilkersons place, the dino service station. Into new safehouse locations? Is it possible to modify existing safe house locations with more slots, or other functions so that the trucking warehouse isnt the best and only choice for the hardcore min/max gamer?

6. Doctor Invictus

Doctor Invictus Got Your Back

If you could go back, what if anything would you change in terms of game content at launch (not including Title Update content, bugs, etc)? What would have been your biggest priority if not constrained by memory space?

7. Given the desire for the PC version, and a time machine, would have developed the two versions side by side, or started working earlier on the PC version to maybe reach that goal?

(<--- Not a Shawkaw supporter, just curious)

8. King of AR

King of AR Got Your Back

would it be technically feasible to add a limited but variable zed population ? such as 25,000 to 40,000 with however many specials say 1000 Ferals 500 big bastards and so forth maybe as a settings at game start ?

9. Why did Undead labs go with the Crytek engine? Wouldn't the Unreal engine been easier to implement all the things you guys really wanted to do? What about the GTA engine or whatever engine Skyrim uses? Could you guys imagine a state of decay using the skyrim engine?...That would be awesome! I'd pay 60 bucks for that.

10. Do we have to start a new game when the sandbox mode becomes available or can we use our existing game?

11. King of AR

King of AR Got Your Back

don't remember what the GTA engine is called but the ?Skyrim engine is called the creation engine .
    also one last question from me ,how hard would it be to add in character and weapon upgrades (as in equipment)to the game?such as MOLLE gear (effect: allows double ammo per backpack slot)and such.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2013
  12. xr1st1anos

xr1st1anos Got Your Back

-Are the created outpost supposed to provide a resource gain? If so, by how much( eg. 3 food) and for how long from the time the outpost was created?
    -Will the number of supplies inside the outpost upon its creation make a difference on the number of resource gain and/or the amount of time it will provide this resource gain.
    -------------------------------
    -Are the sudden halt of enclave interactions a bug or by design? Including the Wilkerson missions generated enclaves.
    -Are there plans to either remove the redundant enclaves generated by the Wilkerson missions or at least making them active after there part in the story is finish?
    ---------------------------------
    -Can you and will you add a new larger home base with more buildable areas than what is currently available (more suitable for those with large population 26+)?
    The wrecking yard in East Marshall (where Rey provides you with a car) is quite suitable as it is already walled.
    -----------------------------------
    -Are there plans to further optimize the 'hit registration' of firearms and the aim assist system?
    -----------------------------------
    -Are there plans for further optimization of system resources to minimize loading time/lag/clipping?

13. Phacops

Phacops Here To Help

phacopsComment extends perpetualSinCommment {

I wanted to be more specific with this since it seems like a viable mechanism for handling it (short explanation then a question at the end based upon it):

id est/exempli gratia - Let's say one broke down the areas into an amalgam of small, medium and large lot sizes and created a namespace that would be occupied by a set of modular floor plans for each edifice type (House, Warehouse, Business, Base, etc.);

That the map topography stayed as designed, and all streets and miscellaneous objects such as poles, signage, unique buildings, and wrecks stayed the same, to save dev time;

And lastly that the modulation was kept to a minimal point that would allow enough permutations for a recognizable variability such as 3 floor plans for each lot

e.g.:
    UL-Modulation.jpg

and a fuller example-
    UL-Modulation - Full-scale Example.jpg

For me this would surpass expectations for replayability because I, and others, memorize edifices and topography extremely quickly-

Would that be something that could make it into the game considering time constraints and data limits? Or is that level of randomization not something that would be feasible/considered?

};

14. ZedsDead

ZedsDead Got Your Back

Will there be a change in the difficulty of the simulation? Namely an increase?

15. Julia_Faye

Julia_Faye Famous

Will Sandbox start you as Marcus or just some random character?

16. Thorsfew

Thorsfew Starting Off

I second this question.
    Fuel/ generator's and multiplayer we know of, but what else is missing from your dream of a Zed armageddon utopia?

17. MAJOR WARPATH

MAJOR WARPATH Starting Off

Now that you know the limitations of the current Xbox and the game engine you used what game engine are you excited about for the next incarnations of State of Decay. I would hope one with better framerate and no pop in considering the power or the next gen systems. And could it be possible to visually show current weapons on each survivor, large guns or weapons on the back and guns on holsters like in The Last of Us. Maybe a tactical vest that has ammo slots to free up backpack space. That would be awesome.

18. IrishDead

IrishDead Here To Help

Euphoria if I remember correctly...

If you don't get an answer about your weapon gear, I will ask tomorrow during the stream for ya and hopefully get an answer..

19. L4D66

L4D66 Starting Off

Technically, how stockpile consume? It's like a mystery to us right now. Can you give us some further information of how it calculated and some tips on that? thx

20. AKz EffecT

AKz EffecT Got Your Back

Is Biker Steve alive?