Blighting hopes, crushing dreams

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Undead Sanya, Feb 12, 2014.

1. Undead Sanya

Undead Sanya Administrator Staff Member

So, people who don't know anything about video games often think a community weenie's job is creating hype. It...can be? But a much bigger part of the job is about crushing your dreams. Or, as I'm supposed to call it when I'm talking to players, "expectation management."

If you think I'm hinting at giving you chocolate, and instead what you get is a snow cone, my poor little game gets heaps and heaps of pure internet rage. But if I tell you you're getting a snow cone, and then we bust our ass to give you the greatest snow cone we can imagine AND you get the unexpected option of soft serve, things work out better for everyone.

Thus, I want to be super, super clear:

There is no multiplayer component in Lifeline. Jeff's post from last July still stands. If we had started working on multiplayer last July, we would still not be done, there would have been no DLC at all, there would be no PC version, and more importantly from your point of view, there would have been no patches or fixes. In that alternate universe, there would have effectively been silence from the Lab since June.

Feh, I say to that. I was bleeding inside when we announced that multiplayer was being pushed out to our next game, but at the time I thought it was the right call, and now I'm SURE it was the right call.

There is no character customization in Lifeline. Our central concept was that you customized a community by who you chose to rescue and develop. People are who they are when the apocalypse starts, with no chance to minmax. Individual customization, in choosing skills/clothing/facial piercing, is not part of State of Decay.

Lifeline is separate from Breakdown is separate from Original Recipe. Because there are different game systems in all three things, you can't cross back and forth between them. You can't take your community from O.R. over to the map in Lifeline, and you can't bring your beast survivors who've made it to level 19 in Breakdown over to Lifeline.

I don't usually like posting these unless I can immediately tell you what you are going to get, and I can't yet because Geoffrey needs to finish some stuff. I could see some speculation getting out of hand, though, and I never want you to feel disappointed if I can help it. I swear to you that the soft serve is amazing. Please hang in there for a couple weeks.
  2. Casacerian

Casacerian Starting Off

She didn't shoot down lone-wolf.

I fucking hate lone-wolf.

Please, shoot it down.
    XzerothreeX likes this.
  3. Undead Sanya

I was just shooting down the main ones. While I am tempted to unleash a blizzard of NO, I also know the regulars here, and everyone would triangulate on the feature list simply by the process of elimination. Bunch of sneaky so and sos.
    Clyde, Michlo, oooooooooott and 3 others like this.
  4. Pipe Bomber

Pipe Bomber Here To Help

The ice-cream so far served up by UL has been so wonderfully delicious that I can only imagine 'lifeline' being pistachio and choc-chip, with a strawberry on top.

My belly is rumbling!
  5. Doctor Invictus

Doctor Invictus Starting Off

We can't port our survivors from Breakdown over to Lifeline, but will we be able to play Breakdown on Lifeline (i.e., start a new Breakdown game on the new/expanded map)?
  6. SwissArmyKnife

SwissArmyKnife Here To Help

Fairly sure the Lifeline is separate from Breakdown is separate from Original Recipe. covers the "can we move between the maps" question too.

On the positive side of things...I did get confirmation that it will be just as moddable as Breakdown (hurrah for PC!) :D
    Michlo and oooooooooott like this.
  7. MrMonst3r

MrMonst3r Got Your Back

Personally, I'm grateful for whatever we get and I'm really excited about Lifeline. I comment on here because I hate all the mindless whining and negativity people seem so keen to unleash on FB (although I do follow you guys there too). So sure, some people will be disappointed - meh. Your genuine fans will continue to voice their support. You guys rock!!! Thanks again for all your hard work.
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2014
  8. Asmileyfish

Asmileyfish Starting Off

Will the new map be an extension of the existing map or a new map entirely? So what i also mean is, Can the new area be accesed in other game modes or is it built strictly for Lifeline on its own?
  9. liamypoo

liamypoo Here To Help

I think this thread should be mandatory for everyone when they login.
    XzerothreeX likes this.
  10. Undead Sanya

I meant there is absolutely no way to move content between Original, Breakdown, and Lifeline. You choose the one where you want to run a campaign, and it's off to the races from there.
  11. I'm going on a limb here, Maybe Player vs Bandits? Then we can go into melee combat and gunfights against humans. Only see bandits within journal and being on army side getting rid of the scum. I'm going by "The gameplay is also different"
  12. liamypoo

liamypoo Here To Help

Nope. UL have stated many times that they do not want to go into the violence of people against people. The game is about community building, banding together to get through the outbreak.
  13. Liquid Snake

Liquid Snake Starting Off

Thanks for the update Sanya. I don't mind no customization at all, however I do hope we might see some new skins, or at least remixes of what we already have for some greater variety.

Either way this sounds good. Keep up the good work UL.
    Jakeypake and MrMonst3r like this.
  14. Undead Sanya

Just added a little bold for my future self's benefit.
  15. Pajama Dad

Pajama Dad Starting Off

I would not have been crushed to find no co-op... We're getting a new map! But no customization? That's it, you guys have made me lose my love of all things zombie...

But seriously, if a more complete listing of what's not in the game will reveal what is in it then there's either not a lot of innovative content or you're giving us way to much credit.
  16. Shadowfogkiller

Shadowfogkiller Here To Help

.....Can I still get that snowcone?
  17. gish

gish Got Your Back

Can lily not be in lifeline??
  18. Shifty76

Shifty76 Got Your Back

Disappointing that the new map can't be used in Breakdown but look forward to the dlc anyway :)
    MadJack likes this.
  19. SticksNstones

SticksNstones Got Your Back

I know this is a thread is to stop misplaced hype, yet all the talk about snow cones brings me back to another frequent speculation. Now I'm wondering if the weather outside will be frightful, or the fire inside delightful.

My curiosity will most certainly be my demise.
    XzerothreeX and Jakeypake like this.
  20. MstrJedi Kyle

MstrJedi Kyle Got Your Back

Man..... now I want a snow cone.
    MatchesMalone and Sabbatha like this.