Can you delete the random names a character has when you first start a game

Discussion in 'For PC Players Only' started by Dirty2, Nov 2, 2017.

1. ok... ive worked out how to add names... but the problem is... all the names are random eg. i want a character called Nick Tikkets... which i did on "SODCB" but when i start a new game... it still has all the other names it could b... so "nick tikkets" could end up being "Peter Baker" for example..

is there a way to delete all the other possible random name a toon can create... so if i want a particular name that is what it will be... sorry if posted else where... but i havent found it...

2. QMJS

QMJS Famous

Yes. Look at any hero to see how it is done.

3. A little more info and how to do that please....

4. QMJS

QMJS Famous

Each character has a list of first names and a list of last names. Remove all of them except one per category.

5. YojimBeau

YojimBeau Famous

Make it look like this:
    Code:
      <NameText Flags="" Notes="" Text="153 HERO Pvt Royell Vincent" />
        <Names>
          <FirstNames>
            <NameText Flags="" Notes="" Text="Royell" />
          </FirstNames>
          <LastNames>
            <NameText Flags="" Notes="" Text="Vincent" />
          </LastNames>
        </Names>

6. how is that done... do i have to do what yojimbeau had done?

7. QMJS

QMJS Famous

Yes.

8. ok thank you..

QMJS likes this.
  9. now the question is... where/how do u get to this screen to change what you got to change....

10. Found a screen where is says all the first and last names.... but i carnt edit it...

11. YojimBeau

YojimBeau Famous

Oh, hell. You're using Smashly's old tools for the original SOD, aren't you? Yeah, that's problematic.

If you have YOSE, I doubt that they're compatible. I'd really, strongly, suggest getting up to speed with xml editing. It's really not difficult once you get the hang of it. Both the extraction tool and xml2bmd are easy to find and there are plenty of threads about how to use them.

Edit: Did some digging. Yeah, smashly dropped support before the TUs were even done. It's not even compatible with the original game.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2017
    Cejao likes this.
  12. my file says "state of decay yose" so i guess its not compatible.... thank you for your help... sorry not very computer literate... i turn it on... play my games and dont really know anything else... so all help most welcome cheers

13. so quick question whould "sodet" work then?

14. QMJS

QMJS Famous

There are a few ways to do it, but at this point I would recommend getting Void's tool... http://voidsdev.com/sodtools/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=1683

There is some documentation there ( http://voidsdev.com/sodtools/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=1679&sid=b5128b00fcd7e6186f2e7066f5c6fded ) that will explain how to extract and then how to convert to bmd after you finish making changes. However, DO NOT reimport the changes to the original PAK files. An error there will require you to reinstall/verify all the files to get the game working again.

The files you need will be in C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\State of Decay YOSE\Game\gamedata.pak for the base game,
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\State of Decay YOSE\Game\sandbox\breakdown.pak for breakdown,
    and either BeltwayC.pak or BeltwayU.pak in C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\State of Decay YOSE\Game\beltway for Lifeline.

15. ended up getting sodtools extracted the character thing into it... but all it came up with was

000234a4003 entities/comment.ent and other stuff along those lines..

tried following the instructions... but fuck me diddnt have a clue what i was doin... and diddnt want to fuck anything up...

gonna put this in the 2 hard basket

thanks