Cardio and Wits not leveling for characters with penalties

Discussion in 'State of Decay Bugs' started by Gmutant, Oct 12, 2014.

1. Undead Nicole

Undead Nicole Community Manager Staff Member

2. I am also experiencing this issue with Cardio on Doc, though I have been able to level him once it's back to stubbornly not working.

I sent you my save game files Nicole.

DeRoc likes this.
  3. Undead Nicole

I'm afraid I haven't received any files. :( did you send it to nicole at undeadlabs dot com?

4. Actually I sent it to nicole at undead dot com, whoops. Just forwarded it to the correct email, sorry about that!

5. Undead Nicole

I got it and I responded with a query. :)

6. DeRoc

DeRoc Starting Off

I had this same problem, but only with Doc. My first Breakdown play through, Doc's cardio never budged and I almost constantly ran. When I restarted this last time, Doc's cardio randomly started working and I leveled to 7 before switching to another character, lol.
    The only thing I really did different was I built the training area and upgraded to the dojo. I just assumed that was the difference; either that, or UndeadLabs did a quick fix. It's interesting to see its still happening to others though...

7. Gmutant

Gmutant Here To Help

Alrighty. I'll try to find my USB drive after work tonight.

Also, sorry to keep you guys waiting. I've been working lots of OT these past couple weeks.

8. douglas herd

douglas herd Starting Off

i always get this bug. never had it randomly start working like you guys say. if any character has a negative xp gain trait. they will NEVER gain any xp. none, nada, nilch. pack a day, total lush, two left feet. any of these types of things means that character will never gain xp ever in that trait. its a shame it is quite annoying..oh well less than a week to yose. heres hoping i wont have to worry about it for long^^

9. Gmutant

Gmutant Here To Help

Bumping this thread.

It seems like this bug has migrated over to YOSE.

@Undead Nicole

Have you guys figured out what's causing this yet?

Dest45 likes this.
  10. Undead Nicole

Actually I think that we know what is happening but I want to check with the team before I confirm. :)

11. Seta

Seta Got Your Back

Woot, Vietnamese people exist in State of Decay!

She looks white but i assume that means she is or was married to an Asian guy at some point or time.

12. Gmutant

Gmutant Here To Help

I know it's been like 4 months now, but...can we get an update on this?

13. Undead Nicole

hey G. I talked to CPH this morning. It looks like we weren't able to repro the issue with leveling cardio and wits. It works on our end. :( I'm sorry.

14. Gmutant

Gmutant Here To Help

Ok. Thanks.

15. Tacticalgrenade

Tacticalgrenade Got Your Back

The wording of the traits is the debate here I think. "Improved" only means the character has a higher starting value. "Improves" signifies that a character will increase that skill faster. "Fast hands" improves at fighting faster. May only start at level 1 fighting but increases quicker than average. "No nonsense" has improved wits. Starts with 3 stars on the wits column. Does not mean they improve at wits faster. In my experience if you want to build a character with a negative attribute, "two left feet" or "coward" (improves at fighting slower). 1. Build a Dojo and a kitchen. 2. Activate combat training and prepare a feast. 3. Load up on snacks 4. Have fun beating down all the Zeds you can find. I have noticed a considerable difference with all character builds when "combat training" active. As for cardio building. Try having enough beds (stamina), fitness area (stamina), training from fitness area (stamina), prepare a feast (stamina), and my last trick "shhhh" unload all gear. Only load in the four default slots on a character with snacks. Your characters deplete their energy faster the more weight they carry. The stamina bar depletes slower on every character if you take off the weight.

16. Gmutant

Gmutant Here To Help

02/24/2017:
    Thread Necro-bump!

So I think we may have just caught a break in solving this bug.

I was able to grab some footage of the potential bug in progress with my Xbox one game DVR and Upload app.

It appears as though a character with a negative penalty trait like 'asthma attacks' can be replaced by another trait or skill from another character!

In the game clip, prior to recording the clip, I had JUST activated the heavy weapons skill on Mathew Rust, the funeral director who studies the occult. After switching to Janiyah Allende, asthma attack foreman, her Cardio trait has been replaced by heavy weapons! Later in the clip, you'll see me futzing around the menu, and you'll notice that the UI shows that Cardio is still present, but by moving back and forth rapidly between entries, you can see that heavy weapons has replaced her cardio!

@Undead Nicole

Edit:
    It seems that the file is too large to upload directly. I'll try uploading it again later.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2017
    Bob Crees likes this.
  17. QMJS

QMJS Famous

This is not a bug. It is based on the way the experience system works. (Whether or not it is actually intentional is another question.)

There are eight traits that give experience penalties. All of the experience penalties are -5 xp each time experience is awarded, and each bonus is +10 xp each time experience is awarded. (This includes other trait bonuses and facility bonuses.)

Bad Lungs, Couch Potato, and A Pack a Day have Cardio penalties.
    Two Left Feet and Coward have Fighting penalties.
    Absent-Minded, Dim Bulb, and Drunk have Wits penalties.

Cardio experience is awarded at 5 xp every time you sprint a particular distance.
    Fighting experience is awarded at 10 xp when killing a zombie unarmed or with a melee weapon.
    Wits experience is awarded at 5 xp when finishing searching a container.

Any character with a Cardio penalty recieves (5-5) = 0 xp every time experience is awarded, and does not progress.
    Any character with a Fighting penalty recieves (10-5) = 5 xp every time experience is awarded, and requires twice as many zombies killed to progress.
    Any character with a Wits penalty recieves (5-5) = 0 xp every time experience is awarded, and does not progress.

So, while Fighting is slow, Cardio and Wits don't improve at all without bonuses from facilities.

While the Dojo can provide a Fighting bonus, and the Watchtower can provide a Shooting bonus, these two skills are never completly blocked. (There is a Shooting penalty defined but not applied to any traits.)

The Library can provide a Wits bonus, and even a character with a penalty will gain wits faster when it is active than a character with no penalty when it is not active. (penalty and no library bonus = 0, no penalty and no library bonus = 5, penalty with library bonus = 10, no penalty with library bonus = 15)

However... there is no direct cardio facility bonus. There are health and stamina bonuses, but not Cardio experience. So, those characters with a Cardio penalty simply won't gain any Cardio experience.

Edit: I believe that the base experience may have been adjusted in one of the YOSE patches, as I haven't seen a character completely unable to progress in quite some time. But, it is still quite slow, at best 1/2 the rate a non-penalty character will progress.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2017
  18. gunther

gunther Got Your Back

I solved that years ago! !

Lol

Any one play for honer for Xbox 1 cool.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 27, 2017
  19. Gmutant

Gmutant Here To Help