Character Customization

Discussion in 'Polls' started by Thomas Owens, Oct 3, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. As you all know in other games because of rules I will not list any. Character Customization has become one of the many gamers of the world's norm and desire in any game to have a piece of your own hard work to be used by you and create your own stories backgrounds ext. my poll is ideas of your's and mine to really bring your emotions out when you make it look like you and you get hurt you get angry right. well why not have not just those but others like a phobia you have and use your character to through hard work over come it as well as personalities and so forth. Please don't be shy about your own comments or ideas but also would you want this feature in the game?
    Bob Crees likes this.
  2. Bob Crees

Bob Crees Banned

I am a little confused on what you mean. Are you asking that we should be able 'customise' a starting character? If so, then I do believe that this will not happen. The whole idea of SoD is the survival of the 'Community' rather than an individual.

I think many people have 'Rage Quit' a game, I know I have, when I have lost a 'favourite' character.

We have been told that in SoD2 there will be huge number of traits that our Characters may have.
    Kid Kayole and Vers like this.
  3. Alan Gunderson

Alan Gunderson Here To Help

My old post still represents my current thoughts about character creation in a game like this.

I mean, this is pretty much what mods should be for, and if it's too much to rely on modders to create content one believes should be in the base game, it just doesn't belong in the base game.
  4. GameOver21

GameOver21 Starting Off

I think if character customization was implemented in the future, it should be heavily limited. I would enjoy the option of being able to customize the outfits of my survivors, through gear I've scavenged or some other sort of method. Basically just cosmetics, nothing that can affect gameplay. e.g. traits. It would also be nice to choose the voice associated with the character. I hated having one of my fav characters with a voice that didn't match their appearance at all haha. That may sound picky but it was slightly annoying. Hopefully that last part won't be as big of an issue since SOD2 should have more variety than the original.
    Bob Crees likes this.
  5. Bob Crees

Bob Crees Banned

GameOver21 welcome to the Forums:)
    GameOver21 likes this.
  6. Deep Blue

Deep Blue Got Your Back

It's clear -- unambiguously so -- that there will be no Character Creation system in SoD 2. And, frankly, anyone who's played the first game for a substantial period of time understands why this is so.

Having said that, I WILL echo the sentiments expressed in GameOver21's first two sentences. I loved the new backpack that Gurubani sported, and found myself rotating it amongst several survivors. Ditto her unique internally silenced Wingate Commando rifle, which only the elite of my community had the privilege of using. So yeah, I'm hoping UL expands on this established mechanic and creates a handful of unique weapons and/or vanity items, which can imbue even pre-rendered survivor models with distinct looks.

One thing I thought of during my current playthrough of SoD was a kind of "Heirloom" system, whereby a particular weapon or item you get attached to (say the Wingate) can be "passed on" to another survivor, even IF a survivor carrying said weapon perishes.

That would be cool, since one can get as emotionally attached to their survivors' THINGS as one does to the survivors' themselves.
    GameOver21 and Bob Crees like this.
  7. Necromancer

Necromancer Starting Off

I just hope I can get some military / or / anti-zed, gas mask ready, body armor wearing, zombie killing, bad@sses. As part of my community.
    Bob Crees likes this.
  8. Alan Gunderson

State of Decay has always been about taking the real people of the world and throwing them into a difficult situation. It's not the cards you get to play, but how you play them. :)

There's a different kind of game for power-fantasy shoot-em-up and hack-and-slash, and I'm glad State of Decay isn't it.
    Bob Crees likes this.
  9. Bob Crees

Bob Crees Banned

Well to be honest we do not know what SoD2 is going to be like?
  10. CaptainAssassin

CaptainAssassin Here To Help

...we know it won't have a forum.
    xGbHx, Alan Gunderson and Bob Crees like this.
  11. Bob Crees

Bob Crees Banned

Well Yes lol
    xGbHx likes this.
  12. Alan Gunderson

It's confirmed that the next game won't have character customization, and there has been an article or two about the character design. I can't remember it well enough to quote it directly, but it goes along the lines of "these are people who would exist in a real setting - what would you find that you would choose to wear?". Needless to say, this won't be a desolate post apocalyptic game world featured in a desert with minigun-armed monster trucks. Not even the military DLC had generic minigun-toting, spiked gas-mask wearing action heroes.

"In State of Decay 2, which has to feel like a teeming world with lots of human variety, and the survivors themselves are dynamically generated from lists of faces, personalities, and clothes. We also wanted to stay true to the vision of State of Decay being a thing that could happen right here, right now. It’s fun to fantasize, but for our purposes, the clothes needed to be things people might plausibly have been wearing. So, more hoodies and leather jackets, fewer horns. More flannel and boots you could…uh…scavenge, less hand forged body armor."

I wouldn't have it any other way.
    Last edited: Jan 21, 2018
    Bob Crees likes this.
  13. Deep Blue

Deep Blue Got Your Back

The military played a small -- but vital -- in the events of SoD. I see no good reason why a selection of soldier survivors' shouldn't be in SoD2. It'd be distinctly odd if they were not.

Also, not all soldiers' are paragons of male adolescent power fantasies. In fact, MOST aren't. Your average American soldier, sailor, Marine, or airman is smart, competent, and capable. Times 5 if they're special forces.
    Bob Crees likes this.
  14. Alan Gunderson

I wasn't saying anything at all about not including soldiers, in fact I've created a mod for adding in the lifeline soldiers into the game because I really liked the idea of it. :)

My point was that these should be based on real personalities, not typical hero archetypes from action movies. Sorry for the confusing post. It's immersion breaking in a game that intends you to play as your next door neighbor, (and yes, sometimes that neighbor is part of the special forces) and then somebody straight out of a post apocalyptic deviantart account emerges with spikes on his shoulders, gas mask 24/7 and multiple layers of plate carrier. I just don't think the apocalypse has room for a costume department.

You're right of course. The hesco-fillers, qualified snipers and drill sergeants will always have a place in my state of decay. Military experience is valuable, just don't overdo it with inhuman, flat characters.
    Last edited: Jan 22, 2018
    Bob Crees and Deep Blue like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.