D&D The Beginning - Game Thread

Discussion in 'Forum Games' started by Bob Crees, Dec 4, 2015.

1. Bob Crees

Bob Crees Famous

Sweet Bridge Motte and Bailey

[​IMG]
    The Men at Arms on guard at the gateway to the Bailey nod you through the entrance, as you make your way to the meeting with D'Pont. The Sheriff is waiting for you with a smile on his face. Standing to his left is a grimmer faced, fair haired female warrior.

For those that are being observant, you will notice off to the left, there are stables. To the right there appears to be sleeping quarters for Men at Arms and closest to the gate house leading to the Motto, a round stone walled, thatched roof building, with a sign 'Banking House' above the door.

Lounging outside the sleeping quarters are maybe half a dozen Men at Arms and you could be mistaken for thinking that they maybe taking bets on something.

"Welcome again my friends" beams D'Pont "I trust you had a great evening and have had a good time shopping in our village. I know our Traders welcome your business, even though its with my money" he chuckles. "I am sure that they all explained about how things work here. Trading in used goods for better gear. I have know Mr Cohan for a very long time and he always likes a bargain".

"I am sorry as I had hoped to give you all more time to get to know each other better, but events have moved on somewhat. One of our most trusted Merchants Sylus Ruges is long over due. He should have been here some two days ago. I fear for his safety and would ask that your first quest for me is to find him". Pausing to take breath he continues "To achieve this I have asked Carla to assist you with this mission" indicating the fair haired fighter at his side.

[​IMG]
    As Carla steps forward you; if you are looking, you will notice that she is wearing leather armour that has a silver inlay around the edges. She is carrying a long sword with silver inlay around the handle and a short bow of an intricate design. On her left hand she is wearing a plain white metal ring, with what looks like a shield embossed on it.

"Okay team" with lots of emphasis on the last word "If you do not have any questions, then lets get this done" she says, hefting her backpack onto her shoulders.

Carla leads the way out of the village and turns North on the road sign posted towards Hommlet. Some people notice you leaving. Sam Vice the Blacksmith waves his hammer over his head "You know where to find me" he shouts, before going back to fashioning horse shoes out of the red hot metal. As you walk passed the Church; followed by several of the village children, you may notice Father Thomas giving you a blessing.

"Spare some loose change Lords and Lady's" the children chant as they run alongside you, accompanied by the occasional tug on a loose piece of clothing or backpack.

The Road North showing Sweet Bridge in the distance

[​IMG]
    Very quickly you leave the village behind, following Sweet Water river on your right. The river valley is fairly flat, with woodland on both sides, the occasional clearing with a small thatched cottage. Smoke coming from the chimneys show that they are lived in. It is obvious to all that any disruption to the supplies reaching or leaving the village, would have dire circumstances to the occupants.

Cejao, TheMuse, Virgel and 2 others like this.
  2. Kiel555

Kiel555 Here To Help

Val

If no one objects, we should get our eyes up. I'll take left flank along with Latvark. Tartluffe and Thalia take right. Julius behind us.

Asher, you mind finding out where we're going?

Last edited: Dec 4, 2015
    Cejao and Bob Crees like this.
  3. FTcivic

FTcivic Here To Help

Latvark Olan'Gecti​

He did quite enjoy his time at Sweetwater, yet now it was time to hit the road. All the while, Latvark made plans for the resettlement of his once prosperous home. Or so he'd heard. Latvark had thanked the host, promising to pay the man back once he'd gotten on good holding.

With the large shield in his left hand, while another shield was hosted on his back attached to the backpack Latvark felt safe. He was essentially a walking shield sandwich. He had fastened a spear to his shield, while the rest were on his back. The metal helmet was comfortable, Vice really knew his business.

Hearing Val's comments, he shook his head. "You see anything, Val? I mean, I can still make out the smoke of Sweet Water in the distance. Any reason for us to ready ourselves for anything? Unless you know something we don't?" ( @Kiel555 ) He chuckled as he looked at Val. "Hey, it's alright to be scared." Latvark walked in a standard pace not forcing himself but also not lagging behind. The shield's and the spears really added weight that he didn't want to force himself.

From the equipment standpoint, some of his colleagues wore very little actual armor. Latvark wondered if he'd have to shield them. "If, something does come up." He pondered on the idea for a bit, pausing for a moment. "Maybe the group should be split up based on actual protection so that in the case of an attack. We are all equally divided up." He hinted at Morgana, Kaltos, and Edwin. "They aren't wearing armor. Nor do they have you know, swords or something of the like. We'd be better off with paring up with one of them."

Cejao, Virgel and Bob Crees like this.
  4. K-Man

K-Man Here To Help

EDWIN

"No.. horses.. this is unbelievable.. what kind of merchant walks a path that isn't even viable by a stinking smelling fat horse.." he kept muttering to himself, clearly not happy with the look of things. He clung to his staff, aiding his walk on the dirt road they were walking, DEFINITELY not happy about the mud either! A splash, and his leather boots were now covered in mud! Again!
    "By the Nine Hells.. a wandering circus.. perhaps I could pay one of these peasants to carry me on his back! It would be suiting!" he kept talking to himself, under his breath, the grey hood hiding his face, as the short cape hid his red robes and belongings beneath. "Or rather not.. what kind of wizard rides on the back of a low life such as any of these.." always fun to have him around!

He had noticed, among the mass of common folk, two other characters such as him, wizards of some sort of school or descent. Although he gave them no credit, and was ready to prove superior to them, his mind remained focused on learning what they might know.. and already he had noticed someone who might have helped him in his plans. While keeping to himself, repressing his frustration through that low muttering of sly insults to this and that, not sparing stones and leaves on their path, he observed the 'companions' of this errand, while studying his spells (oh, boy, only one spell...) just to make sure he remembered everything right in case he needed to show his superiority.

5. Bob Crees

Bob Crees Famous

Carla

It's great to be on the road again Carla thought to herself. She did not mind being in villages or towns, but after a while, she started to miss the wilderness. The wind in her hair, the sights and sounds of the wild. All the animals and birds.

As they passed the outskirts of the village, Carla's mood lightened and settling into a steady pace, she decided to try and learn more about her travelling companions. After all her life may rely on one or more of them. They still have about a day and half of travelling before they get anywhere near to the keep. The last sighting of the missing merchant was passed the keep on the road to Hommlet.

Carla started to sing to herself, as they had a long way to go.

"Ú i vethed nâ i onnad. Si boe ú-dhanna. Ae ú-esteli, esteliach nad.

Estelio han, estelio han, estelio, estelio han, estelio veleth.

Oo ee veh-thehd nah ee ohn-nahd.
    See boh oo-thahn-nah
    Eye oo-ess-tell-ee, ess-tell-ee-akh nahd.

Ess-tell-ee-oh hahn, ess-tell-ee-oh hahn, ess-tell-ee-oh,
    Ess-tell-ee-oh hahn, ess-tell-ee-oh vehl-ehth."

Cejao likes this.
  6. Kiel555

Kiel555 Here To Help

Val

"Scared? Well, maybe a little. This is the furthest I've ever been from home and it just takes some getting used to. I think it's more excitement than anything else" Val admitted to Latvark. Still adjusting his armor, Val has never worn such a well balanced suit of chainmail. The armor issued out while in the militia was really worn out. "Just didn't seem right having everyone looking in the same direction is all" chuckled Val.

Val glanced over at Morgana, Kaltos, and Edwin after hearing Latvark's concerns. Val just shrugged his shoulders. "can't say I have a clue what they do. Probably ought to find out sooner rather than later."

Cejao, Bob Crees and FTcivic like this.
  7. TheMuse

TheMuse Here To Help

Ridge

"Magic users." He said to the two conversing warriors as he came shoulder to shoulder with them. "Wooden staff, and one has his nose in a book and can't stop looking at the other two." He didn't bother to introduce himself as he walked past them and up to the front of the group where Carla was singing.

"Beautiful song." Ridge said, pulling up next to her, "Where is it from?" As he spoke he tied one length of rope around the end of one of his equipment bags, looping it around the second, and then feeding the rope back into the knot to create a loop, placing the loop over his shoulder so the bags hung on his hip.

Virgel, Cejao and Bob Crees like this.
  8. Bob Crees

Bob Crees Famous

Carla

Carla smiled at the studded leather glad man and replied "It's called Evenstar, the language of an ancient race of people". She did not think there was a need to reveal that she has spent some time with the Elves, a truly great honour, not granted to many humans. "Translated it means" she continued......

"This is not the end...it is the beginning.
    You cannot falter now.
    If you don't trust, trust nothing else.

Trust this, trust this, trust,
    Trust this, trust love."

Noting the lack of shield on the man, Carla asked with a raised eyebrow "So what brings you on this quest Mister".

@TheMuse

Last edited: Dec 4, 2015
    Virgel and Cejao like this.
  9. TheMuse

TheMuse Here To Help

Ridge

"There is a certain magic to the old ways." Ridge said, a thoughtful expression on his face, his features not betraying the thoughts that hid under the surface, "Of course, even a beautiful language will sound harsh on the wrong tongue. The gods granted you with a beautiful voice, as you granted yourself experience in the language, a pleasant combination if I may say so."

"As for what brings me on this quest, I can think of many reasons, most of them ordinary, similar to the others I'd imagine." He said. "Did you know the missing man?" Ridge asked her.

Virgel and Cejao like this.
  10. Bob Crees

Bob Crees Famous

Carla

"Thank you Sir for your kind words" Carla replied. "The missing man" she continued "If you mean Ruges, then yes. I believe he has a home or base at the keep. He deals with a good amount of trade around the villages here, and as a result we really do need to find him". Shrugging her shoulders, she concluded "That's if he is still alive that it".

Carla glanced over her shoulder to make sure her pace was not too fast for the men wearing chainmail or the one that looked like a one man army. Six Spears, I hope he does not need them all she thought to herself.

Cejao likes this.
  11. (I exist too xD)

Stiar

Stiar walked along behind the others, lost in her thoughts. They hadn't traveled too far yet, so it would be relatively safe. Another few miles or so and she would have to start watching.
    She noticed the the two warriors talking, one of which carried many spears. Six, to be exact. Further up stood the woman from the village, and another man handling some rope. She payed little attention to what they were doing.
    And right in front of her stood three others. One was glancing suspiciously at the others, and muttering under his breath.
    Stiar walked up to the warrior with two shields, as well as six spears, preparing to ask him his name. Wouldn't hurt to have something to call the everyone.

"Hello, and may I know your name? If not, something to call you?" She said, extending her hand.

12. Fear

Fear Here To Help

Red

"I'm no Lady." The red-headed thief whispered to one of the young orphaned girls. Her big, blue eyes stared up towards the thief dressed in black, tight-fitting leather. A hood covered her face, the loose material on her back blew in the wind like a cape. Red continued to walk, leaving the pleading children behind.

"Please! My parents are dead!" The child begged, her trembling, frail hands pushed out in front of her. Other orphans stood behind her, most likely facing the same grim fate as the girl ahead of them. Clenching her jaw, Red turned back towards the children and placed five gold pieces into the girl's cupped hand. "T-thank you so much." She sniffled, her blue eyes wet. The other orphans surrounded her in awe by how much gold the girl had in her hands. Without another word, Red took swift steps to catch up to the others, leaving the children behind.

She hadn't spoken a word to any of them and would most likely keep it that way. There was no need for friends. Despite her catching up Red remained at the end of the pack of adventurers, which gave her a view of every one of them. While they weren't going to be her friends she needed to work out who and what their intentions were. Red was quite observant and thus had a way of reading people after watching them from the shadows.

Virgel, Cejao and Bob Crees like this.
  13. TheMuse

TheMuse Here To Help

Ridge

"I'd imagine he'd be worth more alive than dead, if it's bandits we're dealing with anyway." Ridge said, shrugging his shoulders, "If it's wild beasts we should find his supplies intact, if supplies or bones are missing we can begin to suspect people being involved, I'm sure you know how these things go." He said.

"How much farther to the last place he was seen?" He asked.

14. Kiel555

Kiel555 Here To Help

Val

"Magic users? They're normally in the city not out in the mud" Val muttered to himself as a very thin yet graceful woman approached Latvark. Whoever she is she's definitely armed for the occasion.

15. FTcivic

FTcivic Here To Help

Latvark Olan'Gecti
    To be honest, Latvark didn't know either. Why were they so under armed and armored? Weird. "Yeah, we should. They may need protecting in the unlikely event that something bad happens to us."

As they continued walking, slowly, other members of the party began to talk. It would only be a matter of time, before the group met each other. The walk was getting boring to begin with. Latvark couldn't believe how different it had all been from his lonesome trek from the North down South to here. He'd been robbed along the way, ridiculed, forced to beg at some points. Now? It just plain felt, different. Awe inspiring even. For Latvark, this group gave a small glimpse of he prestigious warband of the past.

He was probably just as excited as Val, just not showing it in the same manner. He tried to recall the others, as a new member walked by, the man acted like he knew his business. Latvark hinted at the man. "Mages? Heh. Right." He glimpsed back at the 'Mage' trio. "You keeping an eye open in such a fashion, the only thing you'll run into is a tree. Mages are nothing more than fairy tale myths." He spoke to Val.

Now a second figure approached them, this time holding out a hand. "My name is Latvark and this is Val. What do we owe this pleasure of meeting you?" With a grin he returned the handshake with a gentle hand.

16. Kiel555

Kiel555 Here To Help

Val

Val nodded in agreement with Latvark. The company had main line fighters, fast movers and missile troops at least that's how Val counted the wizards. "Perhaps we should go with a standard main body and two flanks" Val soon realized he was talking to himself as Latvark was occupied with the new arrival.

Cejao, FTcivic and Bob Crees like this.
  17. Bob Crees

Bob Crees Famous

Carla

"It's a good day's walking, maybe a day and a half. Horses would have been better, but the village does not have enough to spare for us all and any we took would have had to be guarded, so splitting up the company". Pausing for breath Carla continued "He was last seen approaching a wild remote part of the road, so I am guessing that whatever happened, happened there. It would have been better to have set off at daybreak, as then we might have reached the keep by nightfall, but as you heard him say, D'Pont is worried and it takes a lot to do that".

"Anyway, what do they call you" she asked the man.

Carla had noticed the children begging, how could she miss it. I must have a word with Father Thomas she thought, after all have I not given enough to his Orphanage; set up in the name of St Cuthbert, to prevent this. Despite her misgivings, she could not help but nod her head towards the red haired girl and mouth the words "Thank you".

@MoonlitShadow @FTcivic @Kiel555

Carla noted that some of the group were already starting to chat amongst themselves. Maybe D'Pont had this in mind, when he said no horses. What better way to get to know people in such a short time, than spend a few hours walking with them she thought.

Whatever the reason, Carla was enjoying the exercise. For too long she had felt coped up in the village and despite the good food at the Prancing Deer Inn. Though the good food, such as grilled Trout in butter and herbs came at a hefty price of 1 GP, she was looking forward to her 'Trail Rations'.

(( OOC - Now might be a good time to make this request. It would be a great help to me, if you all managed your own Inventory. Any money spent, items used - torches, oil, arrows, darts, ropes left in place, potions etc. For example, if you have started with 12 arrows and shoot one, then fail to recover it, please reduce the number of arrows you have to 11. As for Torches and Oil used in Lanterns, I will give an indication as to when they are burning out.

GM tip - A flask of Oil maybe thrown at an enemy and then set alight by a thrown torch. However, it is best to relight another torch, or make sure that there is another one still lit, before you do this, especially if you are underground or it is nighttime. ))

Virgel, Cejao, TheMuse and 1 other person like this.
  18. Matt419

Matt419 Here To Help

Asher

Asher was walking a few steps in front of everyone else. It wasn't that he didn't like them or didn't want to get to know any of them, but the rest of his companions had all fallen into small groups and were talking amongst themselves. Asher wasn't going to barge onto a conversation.

19. Panic!atSkyfall

Panic!atSkyfall Here To Help

Thalia

As she walked by the children she gave them her spare silver and copper. She smiled at them kindly. She may have been tough but she had a weak spot for children. Once turned away though she became serious and walked next to a woman in black and ruby red hair (@Fear ) at the back of the pack of travelers. She liked to have her eyes on everyone and by the looks of her walking companion she did too. She heard a melody drift from the front of the group. She recognized it and smirked. She then turned her attention to the others and carefully listened to their conversation picking up names so she could use them in battle to help call out orders. She breathed in the fresh air, keeping her ears alert and her senses open for danger. This task seemed easy...too easy.

20. Fear

Fear Here To Help

Red

She listened carefully to the conversations happening ahead of her. Nodding briefly to Carla who had mouthed a thanks for what Red could only assume was because of the children. Everyone was in clumps of two or three, introducing themselves to each other. Adjusting her hood further onto her face she peered towards the woman by her side. Red had spotted the woman with copper hair giving the children spare pieces of change. Now she was by her side, her eyes seemed alert and ready for something to happen. "Why?" A single word directed at the woman (@Panic!atSkyfall ) slipped passed Red's lips. She left the question open, not directly hinting at what she was meaning exactly. It was a simple question but one which warranted a complicated answer. An answer which told Red a great deal about the individual.