Discussing the Stream

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by DJB204, Jan 11, 2018.

1. DJB204

DJB204 Famous

The game is too hard? I love it lol, I wish they wouldn't tune it down, but they say the feedback they've received lately was it was too hard. I bet this feedback came from players who didn't play long enough, or tried to go all hero and take out the zeds like it's a Dead Rising game. If that is the case then I say leave it as is. Zeds should be a threat in the ZA. If players are going to run up to a horde looking to clean house or be a badass, then let them pay the price lol. This isn't Dead Rising or any other BS zombie game. This is State of Decay, a survival game. Keep the wannabe badass tactics in the other games. All games are tough until we get the hang of it (the learning curve). The worst thing they could do is make it too easy to please casual gamers. They should focus on please us, the ones who will play this game day in and day out religiously. It would suck if it got too repetitive and boring because it was too easy. That is just my opinion though. Good Stream though guys. Thoughts?

Kid Kayole likes this.
  2. YojimBeau

YojimBeau Famous

SoD, original pre-TU2, was too effin hard,but I loved it anyway.

Post-TU2 and all the way up to YOSE, easy-peasey. You just have to know how to play the game, by which I mean, understand how the zombies "think', know what they're going to do and plan accordingly. Don't get cocky and don't get caught with your pants down.

DJB204 likes this.
  3. Biker Steve

Biker Steve Got Your Back

Which made that video painful to watch. Brant taking as much damage as he was and getting Gurubani killed? :oops:

DJB204 likes this.
  4. Undead Nicole

Undead Nicole Community Manager Staff Member

There is a definite line between challenging and punishing. :) We need to make sure we're not punishing, while still making the thing challenging.

Rooney and DJB204 like this.
  5. Kid Kayole

Kid Kayole Here To Help

I've said it a few times but it bears repeating - I hope SoD2 is a lot harder than the first game! I know I may be in the minority, so at least give us sadists a Nightmare Mode or something haha!

6. DJB204

DJB204 Famous

I don’t mind being punished for trying to be a hero or a godly zombie slayer lol. If I or anyone else tries play SoD2 like that, make us pay, punish us lol. I hope I don’t see that type of zombie slaying play style be successful online in SoD2. This is a survival game (not an a** kicking game) right?

Rooney and Kid Kayole like this.
  7. DJB204

DJB204 Famous

I’m with you on this %100. I’m not here for a cake walk:)

Rooney and Kid Kayole like this.
  8. Bob Crees

Bob Crees Famous

Interesting comment - So how hard?

9. DJB204

DJB204 Famous

They’ve also stated early in the stream that there were some changes to the controller layout. They state that once we get use to the new changes they will make sense. The changes were implemented to accommodate new features (or something along those lines). Vehicles will have a hand break button apparently. When Jeff enters the stream he mentions how old SoD1 looks compared to SoD2 lol. I can’t wait for new info and media (pics & video). I’d be happy with an article talking about new features lol. When will we get something? We are nearing the half way mark of January.

Bob Crees likes this.
  10. Furie

Furie Here To Help

I agree about the type of gamer who's finding it too hard, to a degree. Personally I'd say that represents a different problem than the challenge levels. It's more about how things are communicated to the player from the beginning. How easy is it to tell which facilities give them bonuses to their characters? How easy is it to see when a character has had enough and should be swapped out? How easy is it to keep weaker members trained up so the disconnect between a fully trained character and a newbie isn't so high? These were problems in the original code that were slowly sorted out a bit in title updates, but that can make the game a lot harder for the lowest common denominator. By building for someone to pick up the game at a friends house and totally get what's happening without having even seen the game before, the information provided will help keep newbies alive long enough to get themselves into the cycles and systems of the game deep enough that they become veterans.

Bob Crees and Kid Kayole like this.
  11. Kid Kayole

Kid Kayole Here To Help

It's a tough one to answer. They could make the game a lot harder just by turning the player attack damage right down and the zed attack damage right up, but that seems like a cop out and not the sort of difficulty I'm hoping for. More zeds is an obvious one - I'd definitely like to see that. More instances where it's either run away or die trying! And I definitely think the abundance of loot and resources should be dialled way, way down - it makes a lot of the facilities obselete. What's the point in a garden when I can feed the 5000 after searching a couple of houses?

Bob Crees likes this.
  12. YojimBeau

YojimBeau Famous

Every opportunity that I've had to speak with a dev, I've stressed that the number on-screen isn't as important as the number that are active. You can run circles around a pack of zed, taunting in more and more until there are literally dozens on screen, but only a handful (12 or so) will actually be active. The rest stand around, school-yard fight style, acting aggressive, but never actually becoming active until you start to kill the active ones. Once I figured this out, it eliminated a lot of the challenge for me.

Better engine, more actively aggressive zed. That's what I need.

Bob Crees and Kid Kayole like this.
  13. Furie

Furie Here To Help

I'm hoping upped damage isn't the only way they add difficulty. Simple variety of the way the game challenges and wants you to play would add a lot of difficulty in places. You might get into one routine then get hurled out of it by the choices you have to make just to survive.

In the cities and large towns, the sheer amount of zed should be bringing the difficulty to the game. You'll have to play smart if you want to get through there unharmed, or bring the big guns and vehicles.

Meanwhile the suburbs might bring tension in a different way, as you'll have lots of open areas and not many zed. That means a Freak could come from anywhere with little warning while you're complacent, making that jump over a fence potentially fatal, that corner a great ambush spot, and that field somewhere a Feral might charge across to gain speed and do more damage when it hits you.

Talking of Freaks, different varieties might have their own patterns of attack that make certain specialty characters better against one and weaker against another, making those meetings a little bit more difficult depending on who you're playing and how you've built them. You might find your character is better at a distance against one sort, but getting and maintaining that distance might easily get you into more trouble if you don't keep your head.

Those sorts of variety keeping even the most experienced players on their toes would build lasting challenge into the game, in my opinion. Rather than zombies that can only be faced by the most prepared character, we have situations that can change at any point and cause the player to stay on their toes or possibly lose those well prepared characters.

Kid Kayole and Bob Crees like this.