Enter Sandbox. (7/18/2013)

Discussion in 'State of Decay News' started by Undead Sanya, Jul 18, 2013.

1. Just a thought

A thought that had crossed my mind was "why can't I build everything I need". If there isn't going to be a new map and with sandbox resetting all resources why not instead make it so you could build more and chose to stay or reset. a quick idea would be to have or acquire (maybe by extending the walls around your new found home) more slots for building. if you had 20+ survivors food, medical supplies, and ammo are a must but currently you can't construct everything at once.

2. I'm confused, is sandbox gonna cost? If it is count me out, i am not paying for DLC for a game that is meant to be the DLC...

3. Nokturne

Nokturne Starting Off

It sounded all cool until it said and you travel to a new town... but it's the exact same map.

Instead of working on that I'd prefer all the bugs get stamped out (there still a good amount of game breaking bugs, especially since you can't reload a save, fixing them yourself involves pretty much starting the game over from scratch. Also there needs to be keyboard and mouse support)

Also instead of just giving us a story mission that takes us to an untouched version of the same map, perhaps you could just create either Enclaves or Home bases or facilities that allow for you to create the necessary components to resupply?

ATM, You can Garden to get Food, you can change food into Fuel with the library upgrade. You can't create Ammo or Building Materials though. So why not a workshop upgrade that creates ammo and a different workshop upgrade that creates a lumber mill (materials)? It makes deciding which upgrades to get mean even more and allow you to stay supplied in the resources you want to be supplied in.

4. Righteous Ham

Righteous Ham Here To Help

Yes, it will most likely cost something as Microsoft is in charge of pricing. Also, if I'm reading your second point correctly you're saying you don't want to pay for something that should've been in the game in the first place, yes? Well, Undead Labs has stated Sandboxing in the way the DLC will offer is not how the game was originally designed to be played. Therefor, they are expending a considerable effort in facilitating that style of play.

If you wish not to purchase the content that is of course your choice, but please refrain from saying this is something that should've been in the game from the beginning as it's only being added because people here have asked them to.

5. liamypoo

liamypoo Famous

I was going to reply to that same statement....just not as polite as that.

6. Righteous Ham

I mostly always remain polite when engaging with others online. It's much easier to avoid misunderstandings that way.

7. redkorssquad

redkorssquad Got Your Back

Except when you encounter{Banned word} or [other banned word]? But yeah I get it, or at least try to do it.

8. Righteous Ham

I've actually no idea what you're talking about, what words are you referring to.

PM if being more explicit here would get you in trouble.

9. liamypoo

liamypoo Famous

I try to be polite but as you can see, it does not work.

10. Undead Nicole

Undead Nicole Community Manager Staff Member

Poo, I really think that you should just avoid those conversations altogether. :) I want you to remember that not too long ago you were the newb here and it took you a bit to meld in with the rest of kids. :) Be patient and kind.

11. liamypoo

liamypoo Famous

I iz a cool kid! But I know, the PC area draws to me like a flame....

12. As there is 58 pages before me, I can't really sift through all of them with a question on my mind. With Sandbox, will there be different maps? To be honest, Trumball Valley is somewhat boring after a few plays through it. It just seems like a rush to get to Snyders or the Rodeo and then what? I get that the difficulty would ramp up, but to have to play through it all over again (especially the ranger station part) and hear Lily talk non-stop would really be a drag. So I guess this leads to more questions.
    1. More maps? Different Rural Area's, Inner City, Sub-Urban, Ghetto, Upscale, Metropolis, etc.
    2. Not bringing Lily along = new voice for radio? Hearing Marcus's smooth sexy voice on the radio would really do it for the female fans, IMHO.
    3. Are the "Potential Home Sites" the tip of the iceburg when it comes to making your own home base? Or could the game "Roll" on which sites can be useable and which cannot? So finding the "best" home base site is kind of like a scavanger hunt. Or maybe we could use materials to build a "defensible perimeter"? The possibility of taking that junkyard in East Marshal and turning it into a home base would rock and the fact you can't because it's not a building is silly.
    4. Multiplayer? Come on, had to put it in. You could share a game with friends, NPC's play for them while they are out, and you could either band together in the same enclave or control 2 seperate enclaves, or even more for more people. Think of the hilarious arguements that would occur over VOIP's of "Come on guys, let me in, I have 5 stars in cooking, you need a good cook!"

I love this game, I love what you guys are doing, I just don't see myself playing the same map over and over and finding it more fun. Even RAMPAGE (64?) Had like 35 cities for you to destroy. Ok, not a fair thing to set a sandbox game vs a 2d monster city smashing game. There are so many variables you could throw into the mix besides difficulty to make a rich experience and I get that you're launching a multi-platform game, but...well...screw the 360 players.

13. Capt.C.Baker

Capt.C.Baker Here To Help

There was only so much room they had for the initial release, and the updates and DLCs are only allow 2 GB as well. This game may have run it's course with you, and that's fine, as it's not everyone's favorite game. Hopefully you'll love the MMO version, Class4.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2013
  14. Sledge

Sledge Starting Off

I have mixed feeling about the sandbox as it now stands. It was not what I had hoped. It is not survival, it is enforced moves, for one thing. Sounds like creating renewable resources, the key to long term survival, will not be in ("loot will run out"), and to repeat the map, well, yes, it is a huge job making a new map, but it takes a little bit more away still. So maybe I will have to put my hopes on PC modding to create a true sandbox mode.

As for the MMO, not for me, haven't got the persistent and coherent time to make that happen.

Even so, best of luck with the Sandbox and happy trails to those who will enjoy their play in the upcoming DLC (and future MMO)!

15. Mr.Shaggnificent

Mr.Shaggnificent Starting Off

I've been thinking about an option in the sandbox DLC to stay and reclaim rather than bail to the next valley.

even if the towns are picked clean, between the garden, shop, and library, i think it could be possible to become self sufficient. effectively replacing the need to scavenge. then the focus could become extermination. after all, how many zed can there be considering the size of the valley and towns. i've surely killed the entire possible population a few times over by the time i get to the end of the story. even allowing for "immigrant" zed, i think it would be possible to reclaim most of the map. as the survivor population grows, maybe multiple home bases could be occupied at the same time. more survivors could arrive from outside the valley, drawn by radio broadcasts. they could bring in things like weapons and vehicles, and anything else that can't be crafted in the shops.

of course there would always be zed to deal with, and if ignored for too long, infestations would start to appear. hordes would spread from them to create more infestations. after "N" many infestations, freaks start to spawn, but en mass but rather than one or two at a time and ascending toughness*. that could create the same difficulty increase as described by moving to a new valley, but also be limited by careful management.

and i'd like to be able to have more than two survivors in a team at a time. around five or six(six being the max that would fit in the newer model trucks).

*screamers and armored first, then bloaters and ferals, and finally big 'uns

Last edited: Sep 30, 2013
  16. Righteous Ham

I personally love the idea of creating a self-sustaining population that begins to drive back the undead horde. Though, in the new DLC I believe that the undead population is effectively limitless as Undead Labs has stated that Breakout is meant to test your ability to survive.

Though if you like, you could RP that your group only moves on when the valley is clear. Think of it like they are taking back America, one small town after another.

17. I'll you put it out there (dunno if anyone already suggested it)

Why don't you consider, making the RV upgradable, or make it possible to find more different RV's (smaller/Larger)
    The whole "moving" process to the "next map" could be quite fun, for instance the RV can get "broken" , or destroyed? get a flat tire? that delays your travel, and in the meantime you get attacked by a group of zombies ?
    also there could be dynamic travels ? example: your group is traveling on a curvy road, in the mid of a forest, and imagine that a tree fell right across the road, so you need to defend the area for some time until your group clears out the path somehow xP
    --------------------
    the last comment just before mine by @Righteous Ham: I like the idea, tho you should be able clear out the zombies from an area(map)... but then again you need to get to the point where you don't have medication, fuel, water ? ok you can make a garden ad get food, I think that beside the "Food" there should be Water ! i mean god 70% of human body is made out of water , and they didn't take water as a primary resource ? ( Think about it there should be no people around to keep up the water pumps going and pumping the whole city with water ? right ? )

I just believe this game has so much EPIC potential, and the base idea of it is Amazing ! Just hope you stay at it, keep modding it, adding new stuff
    I my self Love game design, I love spending my time just thinking about how something could develop, thinking of what people would want to see in a game

18. BrainBreaker

BrainBreaker Starting Off

I seriously doubd UL gave full ''features'' list,since it is payed DLC be sure that they wont ''ship it light''.
    On side note,I hope to see some of those cut vehicles in Sandbox. :)

19. liamypoo

liamypoo Famous

Maybe there will be a future DLC based on rebuilding. We just simply have no idea.

20. Don't drink water!!!
    We are drinking alcool and sodas, guess why you have so many wino NPCS in this game.