Final thoughts on Forum Closure.

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Biker Steve, Jan 12, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Biker Steve

Biker Steve Got Your Back

Unfortunately, the announcement thread devolved into memes and videos, and that was just counterproductive. I had posted something that hadn't gotten addressed yet, and was probably missed. The bolded part of my response is something that I would like addressed.. if it was something that was even considered when the decision was made, etc.

I can easily say that I won't. Two days was enough for me on IRC 20+ years ago. Given the attitudes of humanity these days, I know it's just going to be worse once SoD2 drops, and it's going to be a storm of flying feces.

I can't imagine that maintenance or security upgrades cause as much overhead as maintaining a presence on 6+ other social media outlets, nor can I imagine that Discord will be as helpful to people as this forum has been. I'd been a lurker for a year and a half or so until I had something to add to the discussion. I found answers to everything I needed via a Google search of this forum (something that won't be available on Discord - RED FLAG RED FLAG RED FLAG), and then joined when I figured something out that I was unable to find on the forum. I found out that there were still plenty of people playing this game, and thought that they might appreciate my tip.

Discord will be like level 99 of Breakdown, covered with infestations. Scant resources, overrun by the mindless undead, and despair will set in for most people.

2. xGbHx

xGbHx Here To Help

Undead labs are forgetting where they came from.

Bob Crees, Sailorwolf, mystyk and 2 others like this.
  3. Undead Nicole

Undead Nicole Community Manager Staff Member

Moved to off topic.

Del44ZSlayer and Cejao like this.
  4. MstrJedi Kyle

MstrJedi Kyle Here To Help

Sounds like a good time!

They aren' forgetting anything, they're making a business decision. Granted it's not a decision I, or a number of people, am happy. It's not like they're going to disappear completely and we still have a direct line of communication (many don' seem happy with discord but I quite enjoy it) that we can use when we have questions that need to be answered.

5. YojimBeau

YojimBeau Famous

One of the biggest faults with Discord is regarding this issue. When we have a question and it is answered, there is no persistence, no perpetuity. The same question must be answered again, every single time it is asked. What a dreadful and woefully inadequate system of communal education.

6. Cejao

Cejao Famous

Yup. I foresee alot of lazy players (on discord) wanting to be spoon-fed every answer and detail rather than exploring and figuring out things themselves.
    Oh well, my block-list is sure to fill up in no time at all. ;)

7. Prime example occurred earlier today where the "is the Amazon release date true?" came up again, after being answered yesterday and the week before that and the week before that...on down the line.

8. YojimBeau

YojimBeau Famous

And people dare to complain about Lily being repetitive. Yet, this is willful subjection to the very same redundancy. :rolleyes:

9. Cejao

Cejao Famous

I think a separate thread ("Discord Disharmony") or something for the anti discord discussions would be useful.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2018
  10. FreedomFighter

FreedomFighter Here To Help

I don't use social media so RIP me. Discord isn't idea either since it is a chat room service, not a forum/message board. You know, if people are sick then they are the one that suppose to come to doctor, not doctor come to them. If they wanted some info/help/discussion then message board is far better than social media. Easier to troubleshoot too.

Guess this cat will be gone after 30 Jan too. Oh well, i have had great time here . _.

11. illdigurgrave

illdigurgrave Got Your Back

Undead labs is going to end the same way they began. By word of mouth.

LiNanMian1984, Bob Crees and Cejao like this.
  12. Yeesh, tough crowd.

Look, guys... this sucks. I know it does. We've been with y'all every step of the way. It breaks my heart seeing the forums close.

Discord isn't half bad, it's just not appropriate in the goals of how the UL community has been comfortable operating for a long time.

There is always the alternative of joining SwissArmyKnife's forums (scroll up to see his signature), or signing up for facebook/twitter/discord/instagram and following UL and the community that way. If not... then it was nice being with you guys.

I don't like this anymore than you do, but UL has always made it a point to stand by the community. Especially Nicole.

I trust that they will find it to support the community while it's in crisis.

13. YojimBeau

YojimBeau Famous

Have you considered a career in journalism? If not, you should.

14. I'm looking into Audio Engineering and Radio right now. A minor in journalism wouldn't hurt... it does interest me.

15. xGbHx

xGbHx Here To Help

I didn't mean it in a super mean way and I will still keep up with everything on discord and the unofficial forums. I just really don't see the point in closing the forums. They are being funded by Microsoft, they were able to have the forums back when they were indie, but why now when you make it big you have to just throw away your communities main home

16. YojimBeau

YojimBeau Famous

Clearly. You have an inquisitive mind and that lends to journalism. udu, but think about the future, my friend.

17. Thank you, friend.

I really believe that this is a show of force from Microsoft. I can't explain why, or how, but this seems to me Undead Labs making the best with the cards they are dealt.

18. xGbHx

xGbHx Here To Help

Hopefully because I would like to believe that Undead labs wasn't the main reason the forums will close

19. It's possible we will never know. We just need faith in them.

20. Kjolly99

Kjolly99 Here To Help

Welp. It's finally occurring, the Gated Community of the internet is finally being burnt down.
    What a fucking odd decision this all is- throwing away the Forum at the peak of Undead Lab's relevancy where they are attracting a brand new hoard of people from the newest game, but, keeping it around when the community pretty much had zero people and the Studio barely had a fanbase.

I feel like this is incredibly forced, and even the language used and announcement seemed somewhat robotic and underhanded as if they wanted to put it all down quietly. I mean- not even a big announcement on the main page of the website? or some sort of final celebration?

I am not entirely sure how to react, though, I feel as if Undead Labs may have become a little ungrateful over the years, and distancing themselves from the core community as much as they can and turning more corporate. That feeling has been developing for a while now, starting with the release of YOSE to the removal of Sanya and ending with the closing of the communities forums.
    I guess I should expect all of the people of interest and veterans to basically disappear now, the more famous people of the community no longer really having a face and the community becoming more of a garbled mess of voices then actual individual contributions.
    Oh well. You know what they say: "Don't cry because it's over, Smile because it happened."
    [​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.