Fortitude Mod - Bases - Blood & Barricades - Savini & Snyder Only

Discussion in 'PC Mods' started by Phacops, Jan 30, 2014.

1. Phacops

Phacops Here To Help

July 4th, 2016

Have re-added the old Snyder Trucking Warehouse.

Rebuilt the geometry heavily. Added more walls and walkways, now allowing you to walk a line above the razorwire fencing at the front. Removed one of the 3 overturned trucks and put in a rough draft for a gate.

When I have a sec, I'll try putting in a SmartObject that should allow the gate to open and close when you're near it. Can put in a first go, but I'd rather build a nicer animation for it :)

Just download the latest and run the build .jar to get both Savini and Snyder. You can use it with any mod that already attacks the Levels/Class3/Mission_Mission0.xml or Libs/Prefabs/Facilities.xml files because of the manager I have tucked into it.

If you don't want one or the other of the bases to be changed, that's built into the manager too.

Just add the file target for the .xml with the mod you don't like (I'll make that easier in the future.)

E.g. if Snyder is terrible, then you can open:
    /XmlMods/ModManagement/XmlFilesToExcludeFromBuilding.txt

And add the file target, but reverse the slashes like this:
    XmlMods\FortitudeMod - Bases - Snyder.xml

When I have time, I'll also add a method to easily delete mods from the files, as well. For now, that's much easier but still manual. So you'd have to search for the tags inside each of the files above, to find "ModWrapper" and you should see the start and end of the bits added.

For visuals, see: http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198031903307/screenshots/?appid=329430

upload_2016-7-4_2-35-36.png

tobu24 likes this.
  2. Phacops

Phacops Here To Help

July 6th, 2016

Latest update adds ploppable trap system.

A bit hard to describe :)

Main idea:
    Install the latest mod from the link,
    In the game, press V to start build mode.

When in build mode you can press G to start adding a new trap,
    Best to have a gun so you can aim down it for placement since it is raycast based...like finding the dot where a laser sight lands, if you will. If you don't then it'll much more likely end up on top of your head than anywhere ;)
    Press G again to place it.

If you don't like the placement of any items then, while in build mode, you can press H to enter destroy mode.

In destroy mode, press the left and right arrow keys on the keyboard to choose a target, which will be highlighted like when you placed it.

When you've got one highlighted that makes you feel icky, then press the up arrow on the keyboard to send it to oblivion!
    (Except that Oblivion was a lovely game, so this may be a more pleasurable experience than what one should think of being sent to oblivion...but that's just an aside.)

When you're done fiddling around, you can press V again to exit build mode and continue running amok with your shambley friends.

Note, it's essentially an AI, if you will. So if you go into build mode, and never place it, simply wandering around with it, then yes you can just go have it swinging at anything that gets near you...but that will make you look quite silly, and nobody wants to be scoffed by zeds, of all people.

All that said, I'll add more devices in the future, I think. At the minimum, I'll build you some gate structures and wall-type things.

I did spend a couple days reworking the scripts behind this, only to find that the modules don't work correctly when transferred because I had to use 3.4.5. Silly me. So, don't hold your breath as I might be optimizing and bug fixing before elaborating ;)

Bugs:
    • When you first press G, it dumps you into destroy mode but goes away when you press G again - only happens once
      • Linked to initial state issues at game start, was solved by the better flowgraphs but had to revert to the wobbley version, as mentioned prior
    • The iterator is a bit funky in the sense that it goes down to -2, despite that I had pinned some logic to less than 1 - needs tracking
      • Temporarily left the counter debug text in case you need to say words at me related to these words that I have said at you
    Bad wallpaper and tables with one short leg kinds of things:
    • The whirler trap -
      • Needs to be set to a much faster animation time
        • I had it sped up much faster - which you'll see in the video from when I first started tinkering with these but wanted to assure I got the overall animation right, so I slowed it down to watch it
        • Leaving it for now because I'll actually be embellishing upon the geometry to make it believable as a placed object...well...as believable as one needs to be in a zombie game, haha
        • Think - "Kachunk, *very short pause* WHAM! then TINK TINK TINK TINK as it resets"
      • Also, it's pretty basic geometry...but maybe nobody cares?
      • Particle effect on it has some fire added to it so I could get some visual scoping on the damage range/effect - will make it invisible again in the future
    • General presentation and input
      • The overall intuitive quality of the interaction keys is suspect to me
        • I might, but probably won't, add this as a UI segment that is much prettier
          • If I add several more items, then I more likely will since it'll get more and more complex to manage
          • Think Fallout 4 style, given the basic-ness

Last edited: Jul 6, 2016
    Del44ZSlayer, tobu24 and FTcivic like this.
  3. I was wondering if you could do it in Lifeline too, it would be awesome :D

Del44ZSlayer likes this.
  4. Phacops

Phacops Here To Help

The placeable traps will work anywhere in the game. But yeah, I never really went for the lifeline bit because I didn't enjoy lifeline all that much, personally. I like roaming and it's too tower-defense :)

In terms of the base fortifications, it'd also be the worst of the issue, I think, because the zeds run through the geometry and I'd be hard pressed to get it right without smegging up the experience by them clipping through things. At least in my view, I try to go for it feeling like they're useful, anyway.

All-in-all, though, it takes lots of time, hence why I only did 2 bases in this version :/

Del44ZSlayer likes this.
  5. segue77

segue77 Got Your Back

When I click the Phacops_Mod_Manager-Build.jar it tells me I can't open the file because I do not have the correct program? I installed everything like the directions said. Am I missing something?

Del44ZSlayer likes this.
  6. Doomen Gloom

Doomen Gloom Famous

Looks pretty cool, I have never used mods seems like way to much work.:)

Del44ZSlayer likes this.
  7. segue77

segue77 Got Your Back

Most files are very simple to modify. This one here in particular is more um...advanced lol. However if you wanted to include yourself in the game, change weapons , give yourself or facility's or cars or anything changes all it requires for most things is changing a few numbers or words in the xml files and then using the right tool to create the new file. If you ever need help just ask. Im pretty good with most mods.

Del44ZSlayer likes this.
  8. Phacops

Phacops Here To Help

Oops, read this while at work and forgot about it--sorry!

You should really only have to have Java installed on your machine to let it run, honestly. https://www.java.com/en/download/

Java is a pretty common thing to have on machines, so I didn't even think about the possibility that people might not have it :/
    I'll point that out in the main posts. Please let me know if that fixes it. If not, I'll try to shift it to something else.

Del44ZSlayer and segue77 like this.
  9. Phacops

Phacops Here To Help

Aye, the pain of installing mods for this game in particular is rather amplified since we're doing it in an unconventional way. The mod manager I packed in was intended to do the real work so we can combine things that modify the main file that runs the game, so it's at least a tiny bit easier, I think :)

Personally, I think the Vanilla game is brilliant, but I do love the extra tidbits that modding brings to any game, to make it not just brilliant but somewhere near perfectly tailored to one's own interests and playstyle.

10. segue77

segue77 Got Your Back

Thank You Phacops!! I will try it soon. I wanted to start modding my game with the mod manager already installed but im almost done modding everything I want without it. Will that have an effect on the mods or the game? Should it be a fresh install of the game when I start to use the mod manager?

Del44ZSlayer and Phacops like this.
  11. Phacops

Phacops Here To Help

Short answer is that it depends on what you're doing :)

If you're modding the mission XML, then I'd doubleback and use the mod manager, especially if you're going to release that.

Because:
    • Easier to keep track of what you did since it explicitly labels your work for you
      • Therefore makes it easy to do new versions because it kills the old and adds the new off a fresh mission file if they don't already have one or inserts your work in for you, with a wrapper
      • Also slims down the content you have to release, and makes it very clear what you actually changed since you only see the changes in the files and not the chaff
    • Auto-inserts so you don't have to chase down all the parts you added, especially if you didn't personally label them

That said, I had this brewing for a while and I stopped modding after CryEngine locked us out of everything, so this doesn't do very much overall.

It mainly just lets multiple modifications to the mission xml happen, allowing things like QMJS' work and my own to coexist. Tried and tested, I have it installed myself.

It could have been used with items XML or singleplayer.lua, for example, but was never implemented.

12. segue77

segue77 Got Your Back

Working better than ever. Thanks so much! My game is coming together so good now with all my mods working in Yose. 20170104103432_1.jpg

Bob Crees likes this.
  13. segue77

segue77 Got Your Back

I even figured out how to give those Awesome trucks you made some trunk space. You may have done it already but I didn't see anything on it. My graphics are set to very low atm. I always keep them low till I finish modding. I noticed the trunk looks a bit messed up now though but everything works fine. Thanks Again! 20170104103345_1.jpg

Bob Crees likes this.
  14. Phacops

Phacops Here To Help

Huzzah!

Yeah, I never cared enough to bother, haha.

What I love the most is finding a thing that seemed impossible and doing it, then writing up how to do it so other people could reproduce it and make their own.

However, most things nobody seemed to bother trying :(

tobu24 and Bob Crees like this.
  15. Phacops

Phacops Here To Help

Oh, the trunk looks messed up, if you mean the model, because I turned it into a CGF so I ahad access to it, which then mashed all the damage layers together, thus showing multiple parts dumped onto eachother. Just never bothered to put it back to the normal one and plop the armor on top.

segue77 and Bob Crees like this.
  16. segue77

segue77 Got Your Back

Trunk looked fine before I gave it trunk space. All I did was add the code in the base xml for the new truck vehicle and pasted it in your fortitude trucks xml. It is only a line or 2 of code I added. The trunk space must have a hidden graphic added to it? Anyways im fine with it and love all the work you guys did to make my game the way it is now. Best game in my steam library and def the most fun to mod. Thank you.

Nap292 and Phacops like this.
  17. What Tool did you use to make the mod?

18. Phacops

Phacops Here To Help

In what regard?

I used CryEngine to help place things in the world after defining some reference point locations;
    CryEngine for building flowgraphs that handle the trap spawning;
    I used Photoshop for the minor amount of imagery handled (Tried to only use existing textures);
    and Blender for 3D work.

Griffonclaw39 likes this.
  19. I am playing YOSE with your mod for the first time. I love it, thanks again! This just enhances the game so much!

Griffonclaw39 and Bob Crees like this.
  20. Phacops

Phacops Here To Help

You're very welcome! :)

tobu24, Griffonclaw39 and Bob Crees like this.