Having Perma-death as an option

Discussion in 'Polls' started by Jaskell, Jul 13, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Bob Crees

Bob Crees Famous

@Jaskell - Welcome to the Forums:)

The way I read the OP it was to have Perma Death as an 'option' in the game.

Lord Vengeance and chikawowwow like this.
  2. chikawowwow

chikawowwow Here To Help

Same here but some of what I'm reading seems to be around removing it altogether, rather than being an option.

Lord Vengeance and Bob Crees like this.
  3. Kid Kayole

Kid Kayole Here To Help

No permadeath, no SoD - it really is that simple

Geoff728, chikawowwow and Bob Crees like this.
  4. Felio

Felio Here To Help

B-b-but millenials!

Shadowreflexion and Bob Crees like this.
  5. Dbomb 12

Dbomb 12 Here To Help

I voted no. Permadeath is just to much of what makes sod unique. Now I wouldn't mind having an option to controll the damage zombies give in order to help increase your chances of staying alive.

Shadowreflexion and Bob Crees like this.
  6. Spelunky

Spelunky Here To Help

If I had it my way, one bite meant death.

7. Bob Crees

Bob Crees Famous

Well it would certainly make for a 'Harder' game:)

Dbomb 12 and Shadowreflexion like this.
  8. Shadowreflexion

Shadowreflexion Got Your Back

Now I could get behind an option like that. Skill and tactics would be invaluable in that case. The only real issue would be how many AI controlled characters would go to the boneyard due to running around a vehicle just to get in? There would be no more dude help, help please.

Thinking further, we would actually stop caring about characters and that drop in feature would become more of a hassle.

But it would be interesting.

Dbomb 12 and Bob Crees like this.
  9. Geoff728

Geoff728 Got Your Back

I agree a 100%

Dbomb 12 and Bob Crees like this.
  10. The idea was not to take permadeath out completely, just be able to turn it off. I don't see anything wrong with this, as you could play it either way. People that don't like perma death could just turn it off. It wouldn't alienate any of the current fanbase because they would just play with it on (&most people would). Best of both worlds...

I kind of like the permadeath when you're actually using a character. What bugged me was starting up the game and finding that 2 or 3 of my characters would be dead, gravely injured, or gravely ill... every time I start up the game. It's a bummer when you try to level up all your characters and lose them randomly because you quit playing the game for awhile.

Bob Crees likes this.
  11. Doomen Gloom

Doomen Gloom Famous

These things happen in YOSE because of the offline progression which has been eliminated in SOD2, so it will not be an issue moving forward.:)

Bob Crees likes this.
  12. DJB204

DJB204 Famous

I'm not voting. Why? because the answer is obvious. Of course it will open up the game to new players. A lot of gamers prefer to have respawns so YES it will open up the game to new players. But... Even though the majority of the votes would most likely lean towards "YES" doesn't mean that it would be good for the franchise. Permadeath is what makes SoD different, and I along with many people here wouldn't have it any other way. Voting Yes could create s false impression on the devs if it appears this is what we all want because we voted yes. It would open up the game to more players but it wouldn't be State Of Decay anymore, at least not the State Of Decay we all came to love.

Bob Crees and Doomen Gloom like this.
  13. Kjolly99

Kjolly99 Here To Help

Although technically, it'd cause no harm to the game to have the option to turn Permadeath off, I'd still like it to not be an option.
    Even though I am gutting the game of a customizable element here (like the terrible consumer I am), I feel as if SoD should have Permadeath always on for it to remain to be a serious item in the Zombie Apocolypse genre.

State of Decay is not really that 'casual' game you are supposed to take lightly, it is very much a fantasy simulation of a Zombie Apocalypse, and tries its best to get that intention across through brutal visuals and mechanics (although, dialogue can be incredibly out-of-place at times.)
    I don't think Undead Labs was trying to make an Arcade Game, and I think removing this very hardcore feature (or giving the option to do so) would lead to players not getting the full experience of what the Developers were trying to get across.

Bob Crees and DJB204 like this.
  14. DJB204

DJB204 Famous

Me personally I think it could cause harm to SoD2 in terms of multiplayer. For example if I had my permadeath off and you had yours on, I could potentially join your game and troll you with little to no consequences on my end. I could intentionally draw in hordes and/or put us in dangerous situations just to grief you. Your deaths would be permanent while I would simply respawn. I would never do it though, but I know for a fact there are players in the multiplayer space who go out of their way to troll others.

Bob Crees likes this.
  15. MrFish

MrFish Got Your Back

Games with no consequences quickly lose their luster for me. SoD having death isn't such an impedement as to ruin the game, and characters level fast enough you can replace them with what feels like a very proper amount of effort. No death means there is no threat, which makes things boring. Half the fun of this game is just finding yourself in dumb situations that can get you killed, like the people who split up to find the killer, except in this case its usually because you ate all your twinkies and forgot to go get more.

Bob Crees likes this.