How to improve survivor attitudes.

Discussion in 'State of Decay Guides' started by Clyde, Jan 19, 2014.

1. CoreWorld

CoreWorld Got Your Back

How do you stop runaways from happening? I kept everyone happy except Lily who always seems to be ill mannerd all the time. Resources are kept in the green, but yet the ones that are ambitious, relaxed, and determined seem to runaway from base. In the past the only way I combated this problem is to have a small group of five or six and when the group grows there is always a chance of a runaway. And when you retrieve these people there attitude stays at runaway status. These runaways attitude spreads like the plague, in less then two hours a good fifty% of my group are runaways no matter how good there attiude is. BornLeader Counselors are among the runaways.
    So if some one is a runaway should I execute them by death by zombies to stop the plague from happening?

2. Clyde

Clyde Got Your Back

An occasional runaway when everyone has good attitudes is the system just giving you something to do. 50% in 2 hours is likely some kind of actual problem. I would suspect a nearby infestation. You have to get pretty close to a building to have it expose the infestation on your map. I would get up the ladders of nearby survey points and check it out. That will expose infestations if they are in the survey area.

XzerothreeX likes this.
  3. koolaidman35

koolaidman35 Got Your Back

on BD I got Dianne montressor into my group and she literally went missing like 2-3 times every level. and almost always is missing right off the bat when you start a new level. deffinitly not the same person in breakdown as she was in vanilla.

4. CoreWorld

CoreWorld Got Your Back

Hmm..... I will see if that is the problem. Also is there a way to change the attitude of runaway back to normal status. Because once they are at runaway status it stays at runaway status even into the next levels.

5. Clyde

Clyde Got Your Back

If it doesn't change, that is a bug. It's been around for a long time, but I thought that particular bug got fixed. There isn't anything you need to do though. Let me know if you find some infestations... I'm curious.

6. TitusMaxThong

TitusMaxThong Got Your Back

The run away status will usually revert to normal after 1-2 days. if not, get them bangedup/cough/sick/fever status, and when they get better they'll have a regular attitude again.

Clyde likes this.
  7. CoreWorld

CoreWorld Got Your Back

Damn, and here I thought the only way to cure the problem is to get them eaten:oops:.... With all jokes aside I will try that next time.
    I found one way to avoid the runaway attitude status though and that is by ignoring the search and rescue missions all together. I wait until the mission expires and in an hour or less there is a mission pop up saying that there is a sighting of the missing person near by, and, thats when I go and rescue them. There attitude when you find them is different and a lot easyer to handle.

8. Clyde

Clyde Got Your Back

They can die that way, especially if you exit the game when the mission is available or ends.

9. CoreWorld

CoreWorld Got Your Back

That is very true. I have lost many people just by exiting the game. But if the person is important to me I stick around and wait for the sighting mission to pop up so I can rescue them in this fashion. Like I said, the runaway attitude is not easy to get rid of and is worth the risk of lossing the person in the process.
    But of course I will try those tips you guys told me on how to get rid of and how to prevent the status with out the danger of loosing them in the process. It is a good thing that I found this forum or the roulette game would have continue.

10. User13

User13 Got Your Back

Ok, guess I'm confused. Does this become an issue at higher levels? I'm on BD2. Was on BD1 a long time, and been on 2 for several days as well. I get the occasional note about a fight, and sometimes have to take people for a walk, but have never had anything bad happen. I do nothing about it, except for the walks, which are fairly rare. Is this something I should learn for later?

Since anyone has yet to reply, allow me to throw in a second question which has plagued (see what I did there?) me all night. It concerns the setup of outposts to provide lanes into lower Marshall. I've just been completely covering upper Marshal with my outposts. Is there a significant advantage to providing lanes? Are there drawbacks? I suppose I do tend to think of Lower Marshal as sort of the Wild West.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2014
  11. Clyde

Clyde Got Your Back

Hey @User13 ,

Prior to this post I didn't know I even had an effect on attitude. You can certainly play without worrying about it. Just make sure you have a counselor to prevent suicides. Counselor's might not be 100%, but they are at least 99%. So they should keep you from bottoming out. I saw someone recently claim that high attitudes find more resources during the simulation, but I just recently started paying attention to that, so I have no comparison. I suspect that it's better to keep high attitudes, but can't dig up information about how trust, attitudes, morale, and personality interact. This makes it hard to say attitudes are something you must worry about.

---------​

I usually would do the same, and then break those outposts down, and stretch them into lower Marshall. The advantage is you can Call for Scavengers without them getting in danger. If you call them and they travel through non-white map area, i.e. not through protected Outpost areas, they can get in trouble and generate a Runners in Trouble mission instead of, or in addition to the Call for Scavengers.

Maintaining white areas for them to travel through makes it safe for runners. Although even if you set it up like I show in my original post, sometimes they will generate a Runners in Trouble anyway, as they will path through that lower park on the way back. Then you have to go to the abandoned warehouse to save them. That is pretty rare... at least on the BD levels I've played. (Up to 6)

The idea is to move the outposts around to create safe paths. Allowing you to double pull the last resource, by using the Call for Scavengers radio option and then pulling that last resource before they get there. Just don't do that before you make an outpost, and don't do that in places you might want to rebuild an outpost if you are planning a long play to build supplies.

Best practice is to set up 3 or 4 outposts as your defensive perimeter, and then maybe 2 you move a little, and 1 or 2 you move as you need. If I go to Fairfield, I pull an Outpost before I go, and place one in Fairfield, so I can fill my trunk with resources and put the good equipment in my locker. I do that at least once every BD level, so I can get the good weapons that are in the Fairgrounds. That will also cut down the zombie spawn, as they can't spawn in the white.

12. Quick comment on suicide:
    After countless play throughs and some with months of neglect, i've only had one person ever commit suicide.

13. Clyde

Clyde Got Your Back

I'm working towards 600 hours, and have only had 1, but that was without a counselor.

14. TitusMaxThong

I've never had a survivor suicide. Mercy shot, every now and then yes though

XzerothreeX likes this.
  15. XzerothreeX

XzerothreeX Famous

Finally happened. I log off with a sick pastor Will. I log in, he's dead, only after he munched Ed and another guy. Never had it happen. So is Alan now a permanent fixture or is he stiil scripted to get blasted?

16. OldDogF14

OldDogF14 Here To Help

It's been a while, but if I remember correctly, Alan should eventually get sick, whereupon you get a missing survivor mission for him. He'll then kill himself after you find him.

XzerothreeX likes this.
  17. XzerothreeX

XzerothreeX Famous

Well, shit. Thanks for info, sir. I was hoping I could escape the valley with Ole' Pain in the Ass in tow.

18. TitusMaxThong

I found that if you get a mercy shot mission in Breakdown, you can actually forestall/delay it by progressive to the next level. I had this happen to my maxed out Amelia Crasman and there was no way I was going to mercy shot her.

From then on, make sure you take control of the 'Gravelly Ill' character, so that they can't spawn a 'mercy shot' mission. After that, just pray that every new day makes them better.

XzerothreeX likes this.
  19. MrStrange

MrStrange Got Your Back

That's cool. I try to not overlap, but are very close, so everyone is protected when they scavenge, and hordes are unlikely to spawn. Half the time I still have an outpost or 2 in Carnival area and the starting area, unless I find a replacement area (aka same supplies, different locations).
    I notice distant Enclaves tend to survive longer when I have an outpost or two in their area.

20. zechs

zechs Here To Help

I've only ever had one suicide. Ed, in vanilla. Once. I guess he was just a little more bummed thay play through than others.

I've never had Alan go missing then kill himself. I've only had him shoot Will, then get sick. To the point I stopped giving him a mercy kill. Mission stays but he remains idle, ready to defend the fort...