Human enemy question

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Sod2_uk, Aug 31, 2017.

1. Hi guys,

I read on the FAQ that there will be "dynamic zombies and HUMAN ENEMIES" which sounds awesome.

Do you guys know of any other news from previews or interviews that support this or explain it further???

Thanks

James

2. zechs

zechs Here To Help

That info is still locked up nice and tight.

In the coming months, mainly, info will start getting released again. So hang tight. Your answer is a bit of a wait away.

3. Bob Crees

Bob Crees Famous

@Sod2_uk - Hi James, welcome to the Forums:)

Del44ZSlayer, Sod2_uk and Dbomb 12 like this.
  4. Thanks for the reply! I appreciate it - do you know when I'll be able to pre order it on the Xbox one store at all?

Thank you man! This seems like a really great warm community on these forums, really refreshing

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 31, 2017
  5. Bob Crees

Bob Crees Famous

Yes its a very good Forum and we have some great debates:)

6. That's awesome to know!!

7. Alan Gunderson

Alan Gunderson Here To Help

Welcome to the forum! I'm looking forward to this as well.

RUN WHILE YOU STILL CAN

Del44ZSlayer and Bob Crees like this.
  8. zechs

zechs Here To Help

I don't unfortunately. There is a thread here where folks can guess the launch date of the game. So judging from that is guess we'll know late this year if not very early next. So pay attention around December and January for pre order possibilities.

Del44ZSlayer and Bob Crees like this.
  9. Kiya12352

Kiya12352 Got Your Back

To get to information about human enemies skip to 15:30 and watch to 16:30

10. Byerly724

Byerly724 Here To Help

As long as the primary enemy is zombies it would be good for game to add some variety.

Problem a lot of games have is the human fights tend to take over in end game because of lack of creativity to make zombies still seem threatening.

11. Alan Gunderson

Alan Gunderson Here To Help

While I agree that the primary scare should be zombies, at some point faction and group rivalries is going to have the limelight, or at least should. For realism's sake, since there will be a point in time where zombies are only an "excuse" to declare war on your fellow enclave. With no laws, it's not going to be long before vigilantism turns into preventable murder, except the morals are blurred.

To a degree this was already simulated in the main game and for the most part would have had more content towards it if the developers had more memory to work with. We have the Wilkersons threatening (and enacting) death onto other enclaves, and according to the flavor text probably have done a lot more outside of what we interact with (and if not, is guaranteed if you finish their quests in their favor and they wipe out an enclave).

With how deadly being shot is, I don't truly see the difficulty curve rising by solely inventing more and more powerful zombies or bigger hordes. Moral conflict between individuals or groups of people should be the hard part of dealing with any apocalypse unless this endgame is meant to be a power fantasy of fighting zed and not making the hard choices.

Sailorwolf, Bob Crees, xGbHx and 2 others like this.
  12. GEO THUNDER

GEO THUNDER Here To Help

Amen.

Del44ZSlayer, Bob Crees and Dbomb 12 like this.
  13. Byerly724

Byerly724 Here To Help

I’ve said before that I have no problem with increased interaction with enclaves(good or hostile). I also have no problem bringing gun fights into state of decay because it’s an inevitable outcome of any apocalypse or government breakdown.

My issue is it happens too often that the player is rewarded more for agressiveness towards AI survivors, while Zombies take the back seat towards endgame.

Dbomb 12, GEO THUNDER and Bob Crees like this.
  14. Bob Crees

Bob Crees Famous

Yes that what worries me - should UL ever go down the lines of PvP

Dbomb 12 and GEO THUNDER like this.
  15. Azuries

Azuries Got Your Back

You should be able to already, maybe through the Microsoft store, I’m pretty sure I’ve seen the option on the Aussie store and had the option to preorder via EB game for the better part of this year.

Ok I lied lol it’s not for preorder on the store yet lol. But game retailers you can.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2017 at 9:43 PM
    Bob Crees likes this.
  16. Furie

Furie Here To Help

I'd say a game like State of Decay has a built in way to deal with that problem. You are not a lone wolf in this game. You're part of a community and the things you do affect your standing with that community. Hell, some of your stats are affected by that community and the facilities built there.

Imagine starting to become a bandit and raiding other communities only to find out that your trainer no longer trusts you and is not only denying you access to the dojo, but won't let you play as him anymore until trust is rebuilt. Suddenly you have natural stopping points for bandit behaviour or you'll start to lose the trust of your people. Of course, not everyone would be opposed, but the chances of getting someone with useful talents is slim anyway, nevermind getting one who shares your worldview.

"No problem," some people are saying, "we can just play as those characters and make them do the bandit actions. What're they gonna do: stop serving themselves?"

Well, yes actually. These people have seen everyone they love taken from them. Everything material that they've built their lives around is gone. They're struggling to find a reason to live (beyond just living) as it is. Finding themselves in a situation where they feel they have to break their own moral code in order to survive may just push them over the edge. Expect them to start becoming unresponsive to anyone (stop offering advanced facility actions, and eventually not be playable) as they fall into deep depression. And, in times like these, they may not come out of it, especially if they see other members of the community starting to follow that bandit route too.

By balancing that way, you make the zombies more of a threat to bandit players (although they may well find bandit survivors and fill their community after a while) as they lose some of their capabilities after a while. The zed stay the main threat and banditry becomes a way to make up for the lack of production in your base. Add in an ability to raise a bandit to a leadership position and run the community as an aggressor (more background raids, less working in harmony with other communities, more guys shot by enemies in the journal), and everyone is covered for the way they play.

GEO THUNDER and Bob Crees like this.
  17. Sailorwolf

Sailorwolf Famous

I just hope they don't go overboard with it or there will be a lot of crying going on :oops: Cause when your maxed out survivor whom you loving cared for from the very start gets capped in the head by a pissed off npc you will be pissed off and cry to UL about it. :p

Bob Crees and GEO THUNDER like this.
  18. The Final Bow

The Final Bow Starting Off

I believe UL are going to keep "human enemies" more down to random events. For example we are at our base and we see a car scream by dropping firecrackers right in front of our base, we can't shoot the car, the simulation won't let us. This attracts hell to our home where most times a flare for help is the only way not to lose someone. I think they will offer a world which feels much more full than the first but still leaving death of your favorite character up to the player.

Before the patches to SOD1 how many people woke up to find one of their favorite characters dead by the simulation? I think they will stay away from that because it simply did not work for the majority of people on the forums so it definitely won't work for a casual player. They want the death to be your falut, " ah Iam not Superman and I overstepped." "I overstayed and knew I was low on supplies." Etc. Human enemies will make the world much more alive but not have some random npc cap your maxed out primary, they learned from prior mistakes.

Dbomb 12 and Bob Crees like this.
  19. DougH

DougH Got Your Back

I don't mind fighting other groups of people. It seems very realistic. The hardest and the meanest of us would have an advantage in a SoD world. Over time, groups of these people would be predominant and be fighting over scarce resources.

As a simulation game, SoD, likely will explore this by giving a lot of freedom to pursue the (Take, Steal, Dominate) easy path vs. the (Share, Help, Build) hard path. Most of us want to play the 'nice guy', but sometimes that just isn't an option. Tough choices need to be made and sometimes that means getting a bit evil path to survive.

One of the weak points of SoD1 for me was how every other group you encountered was instantly friendly to you. None of them stood out. I think encountering groups in SoD2 who were openly hostile would be amazing. Hopefully there is some kind of background alignment tracker (Fallout: New Vegas) style that tracks your actions as a player and determines which of the other groups you are compatible with.

Rooney, Bob Crees, Vanilla and 2 others like this.