Human Survivors in State of Decay 2 Part 1

Discussion in 'News' started by Undead Nicole, Apr 14, 2017.

1. Undead Nicole

Undead Nicole Community Manager Staff Member

Congratulations on becoming a teacher! We need good ones. You are appreciated.

2. Averryy

Averryy Got Your Back

Thank you, that means a lot. As I get closer to the end Im more desperate to know information about SOD2!

What is the schedule for these survivor information drops?

3. Undead Nicole

Unfortunately I do not know. :(

4. Averryy

Averryy Got Your Back

Okay thats fine, dont ask you dont get! :)

5. Aaron V

Aaron V Famous

What about body types. Lots of pretty faces but all the bodies look the same. We need more Lawton's and Will's.

6. Devlin Osiris

Devlin Osiris Got Your Back

We should still be able to find certain clothing items, outfitting all your peeps with badassery should be a necessity, it is in the real world, IDK how this got approved. Missed about a million hours of playtime right there. I do support you guys though, don't get me wrong. I just think scavenging for 100% of everything would be more realistic and fit the survival game type more, but I digress and happily await throwing my life into this game;) thanks for all the hard work UL.

7. Dunadain

Dunadain Famous

Hopefully they have an RNG on the character model Idle animation. I had my survivor group on a breakdown level increment, and they ALL were doing the same swaying, hand motion, and looking around at the same instant. It was creepy!

8. Those are some colourful outfits they got there. Survivin' and Stylin'. The technique you've used for the faces is great too, I'm looking forward to seeing them come to life ingame. And although the guy in the concept art rocking those antlers in a bucket helm isn't a thing, it would actually be cool if we could have 1 or 2 guys like that, especially as our main dude in co op joining other peoples games. He's got that Boba Fett appeal.

9. Aaron V

Aaron V Famous

That's what heros are for. :D

GEO THUNDER and Bob Crees like this.
  10. CaptainAssassin

CaptainAssassin Here To Help

^ unintentional Last Unicorn reference [+1] ^

DeadK9Handler, Aaron V and Bob Crees like this.
  11. Arrowdweller

Arrowdweller Starting Off

Last edited by a moderator: May 1, 2017
    Bob Crees likes this.
  12. Jordano1

Jordano1 Starting Off

More variation is always welcome. I hope that some of the female survivors actually sport long hair this time around. It got a bit tedious always having 10 Carols in my group.

Doomen Gloom and Bob Crees like this.
  13. Undead Nicole

I'm not saying that we don't have long hair, but hair is incredibly difficult because of the way it interacts with clothes and the animation. It's why you see so much crappy hair in games versus amazing hair. :) Our first time around we had 20 people working on the game and hair wasn't quite the priority. :)

MrStrange, Tsewe, Akinaba and 9 others like this.
  14. Corwyhn

Corwyhn Here To Help

If outfits for survivors are generated when the survivor appears in the game it would be nice if there was a way to tap into that and basically reroll a survivors outfit till you get something you prefer. While I am happy to sacrifice the system resources for being able to change survivor outfits I still love the idea of being able to come across a cache of army fatigues or body armor that could be distributed to survivors or being able to armor up survivors. Simply magazines wrapped around forearms etc could save you from zombie bits.

Maybe SOD 3 will add in the ability to gear up survivors clothing/body armor. I mean its pretty mean if Bob the Riot gear equipped survivor wont let anyone use his body armor when he is just sitting in the compound safe.

I am sure I will love SOD2 when it comes out regardless how things are done though :)

Doomen Gloom, Korsone and Bob Crees like this.
  15. 23-down

23-down Got Your Back

I think the initial wip show cast of the models is rather good thus far. Very stunning indeed.

But there are also 2 things I noticed right away seeing them all in 1 place like that. I hope it will be considered before the game ships out.

They all got the exact some body proportions both in height and weight.
    They all look rather masculine both male and female. I hope some additional body variations (models) might get incorporated or perhaps at a later time for a dlc. Not everybody can be a healthy top model. Add some overweight, thin and tall - small npcs in as well.

Which brings me to my 2nd observation. While most the faces are indeed placeholders I came to realize that all their faces look rather clean. Some should possibly get some dynamic facial / body scars when they get generated in game while others may just look tired with big fat dark rings under their eyes. After all it's the Zombie Apocalypse where this plays in and not some "get to know you date". ^^

But it's just wip and only a first glimpse for the public on what is to come. So who knows what else might be in store for us. :)

16. GEO THUNDER

GEO THUNDER Here To Help

I would love characters with different heights and builds in the game but would that mess with the animations? I don't know much about game design.

17. 23-down

23-down Got Your Back

@Geo Thunder : Having messed around with model tools such as blender and numerous game engines myself in the past as a modder. I'd say no. Animations could remain 1 to 1 the same since scale of the model doesn't matter. It would even immerse things in regards of the npc traits I would think.
    A overweight person obviously wouldn't run as fast as a fit & healthy person. Just a matter of letting certain animations play slightly slower than normal etc.

But also here is to say that they could easily get their entire own set of animations as long as they fulfill the same basic rules of walking, turning around and running etc. The UT4 engine is very versatile so it would be possible. Depending on how they setup their npc routines it might just be a matter of some additional lines in their code to make use of any new animations. If they let their animations be self sufficient and npcs just get basic rules in npc scripts which are not affecting animations at all it might be even easier and later allow even modders to add in their own body animation variations too.

18. Dunadain

Dunadain Famous

(whole different set of discussions, but)

If they allow modding on X1, as there WILL be on PC, we may yet see a very diverse cast in our communities, beyond what is being done by UL.

Doomen Gloom, Bob Crees and 23-down like this.
  19. 23-down

23-down Got Your Back

I'm sure of it! The engine alone by itself is epic and allows for vast modifications. With the system they're implementing allowing for multiple maps I'm also sure we will see many great custom maps in the future. Lets just hope that they didn't use extensive waypoints in the editor etc. but rather pre programmed game logics for base sites - zombie zones - safe zones, spawn sites etc. Otherwise it will be tricky for modders to get the show on the road for quite some time.

Doomen Gloom, Corwyhn and Bob Crees like this.
  20. Corwyhn

Corwyhn Here To Help

I hope you are right. When I am not dreaming about what it will be like to play State of Decay 2 right out of the digital box, so to speak, I dream about the great mods that might get made for it.

Doomen Gloom and Bob Crees like this.