Let's talk about when it might come out.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Vladtheimpalerr, Nov 20, 2017.

1. Vladtheimpalerr

Vladtheimpalerr Got Your Back

Though I am patient enough to wait until spring 2018 for this game, but I just hope that it doesn't get lost in the mix of other games coming out in spring 2018. It seems like spring is the target for many, but maybe early 2018 would be best? Im not a developer and I understand them wanting to wait until they feel satisfied with what they have done. Because many games release and they're not complete, causing frustration to a lot of players. One other game that I'm waiting for is Kingdom Come Deliverence, which comes out in February. Which is good, because that release month isn't going to be super crowded.

Those are my thoughts, what about yours??

2. sc2mitch

sc2mitch Got Your Back

That game looks pretty lit tbf; OT though I really hope for a polished game that has actual support for Nvidia GPUs since the original didnt and it was a real pain to setup all gpu settings, cough. But yeah, Polished game, lot's of content

Last edited: Nov 20, 2017
    Bob Crees and Dbomb 12 like this.
  3. MrFish

MrFish Got Your Back

Eh, I've got so much stuff sitting in my backlog, I can wait. Still have to finish Horizon Zero Dawn Frozen Wastes and Agents of Mayhem since I THINK they finally made Johnny Gat available to buy since apparently Amazon didn't get in on the pre-order DLC train (although seriously, forget that crap.) And then Resident Evil 7 has Not a Hero and End of Zoe on the way, and I do need to get around to finishing my Baldur's Gate walk through.

Yeah, I've got plenty to do in the mean time, and truth be told, we may be looking at a rough launch anyway. I mean SoD's original launch was a blast just for the hilarious stuff the simulation would do and the whole "I got you a pony..." line that was so dispised it was purged from the game with extreme prejudice.

maltriagon and Bob Crees like this.
  4. Furie

Furie Here To Help

To my understanding, it's more about scheduling the game than it is finishing it.

You don't want it to get lost amongst comparable experiences, after all. And comparable experiences means a lot of things when you're scheduling games. For example, the four player co-op of Monster Hunter makes it a direct competitor while most fans wouldn't see much similar about the two. Anthem is another one with online multiplayer that's a very tight knit experience and has enough in common that marketers would feel nervous putting them together. All three will be trying to go mass market in the west and competing for time in your friends list this year, so you want to release a game at that sweet spot when the novelty of one has worn off for the casual fans and they're ready for a new experience, but not so close to another that they choose that instead. Add in a couple of thousand criteria that basically boil down to more specific versions of what I just said and you have video game scheduling.

Assuming the same amount of episodes and release schedule this year, The Walking Dead should finish early April which would leave their fans zombie hungry and therefore be a great time to release in my opinion (bearing in mind I don't have crossover statistics to view).

5. MrStrange

MrStrange Got Your Back

I'm trying not to buy any games for the first 6 months of next year. My New Years resolution or something, heh.

SoD2 is the sole exception, despite a couple other interests.
    So no competition for me!
    *stares at FC5 sadly*

Last edited: Nov 23, 2017
    Bob Crees likes this.
  6. zechs

zechs Here To Help

@Furie

It's funny. Since scheduling is easier when the product is finished. Unfortunately publishers lost that way about them a long time ago. Now it's all patch work...

Nothing like a bunch of Frankenstein games. Some only functional after certain patches are applied.

Doomen Gloom and Bob Crees like this.
  7. Furie

Furie Here To Help

The thing about coding is that the more complex the systems and the more deeply they interact with each other, the more chance there is for something to fuck up. As an example, way back in my college days, I programmed a Tamagotchi type creature (incredibly simple compared to a modern video game but on par with the handheld ones). For some reason that I never discovered, the program would stop the creature eating if its name began with a B. I went though every line of code (again, incredibly simple compared to modern games) but couldn't find the culprit, eventually pulling in my tutor to see if he could figure it out. It was just one of those things that was programmed the way it was meant to be but some interaction beyond what we could see was killing it, and then only on a few of the machines in the lab. We ended up removing the naming function and the thing worked perfectly after that as we set it's name to Adam.

That was a basic ASCII representation with timer-based meters for its needs and keys mapped to certain functions. It's so simple you could probably throw it together in BASIC in one afternoon even if you've no idea of programming before then, and yet that weird glitch occured that could not be tracked by people parsing the code.

Now imagine something so much more complex where so many unplanned for interactions may occur. A glitch can easily pass through undetected due to hardware differences between this and last year's iteration of the same consoles (something that was more prevalent last generation than ever before), before you even think about problems with the coding and unexpected interactions. Sometimes this is a coding system being used for something it wasn't really designed for, and struggling. Sometimes it's careless programming. Sometimes it's even an invisiglitch like the one that doomed Bobbie the Tamagotchi. As outsiders to the industry, it's easy for us to find a glitch or bug in a game and wonder how it could possibly have gotten through all the different testing. With horror stories of project leads who ignore bug reports from QA, it's easy to think it always happens that way and anything that skips through is a lazy dev taking advantage of patch culture to push through an unfinished project. Sometimes it's exactly that, but mostly it's just something that wasn't found during testing (which it's worth mentioning has its own part of the budget, and more would lead to less features/content in the game) and made it to release, just in time for the forums to fill with angry gamers calling devs, who literally slept in their office at crunch time and can't remember what their families look like, lazy.

Additional - I have seen plenty of times when you just know the devs didn't bother, just as I've seen times when the publisher (and Activision love this one) won't let them patch a known bug because it's too expensive to do so. Just wanted to point out that isn't always the case, even if it feels it a lot these days.

Kid Kayole, Vers, Tanguy and 4 others like this.
  8. zechs

zechs Here To Help

I do honestly understand that the programing isn't full proof as well as that it's a many man machine with lots of components that can contribute towards glitches and such.

I wasn't intending to make light of it across the board. Just the many examples of games released before actually being finished for any number of reasons. A publisher call, not a developer call. With patches coming in post launch to both finish the product and attempt fixes with patches instead of just being able to solely focus on patches as it should be.

Furie and Bob Crees like this.
  9. orgelambart

orgelambart Here To Help

considering they were expecting it to release this year, I'd suspect it'll release early next year.. Unless the development team was really off with the estimate.

Does MS still do that Summer of Arcade thing they did for a few years? If so it'll likley be summer of next year..

Bob Crees likes this.
  10. maltriagon

maltriagon Here To Help

I'm thinking spring of next year. April or May kind of thing.

Bob Crees likes this.
  11. ali jones

ali jones Starting Off

the first SOD was an indie game with 2gb limit, they did a really good job, I bought the game twice. compared to AAA games

Bob Crees likes this.
  12. Furie

Furie Here To Help

It's scheduled for Spring 2018. I'm honestly thinking second week of April to fit neatly into that gap when Walking Dead finishes and people are wandering around like zombies ironically missing their zombie quota. Of course, word is the ratings this season have been well down, so that may be a misstep if they try that.

Bob Crees likes this.
  13. orgelambart

orgelambart Here To Help

people grow attached to actors and the show kills those characters people have been invested in off and this is what you get..

While the show is still good, all the characters people loved are gone.. We still have Rick, Daryl, Carol and Carl, but the rest are gone... I think killing off Glenn was likely the final straw for most people...

Rooney, GEO THUNDER and Bob Crees like this.
  14. Erudain

Erudain Here To Help

Yeah ratings for TWD are at an all time low world wide, so it might backfire to launch near them if the season finale is crap.....the "any publicity is good publicity" is no longer true....or ask Disney about Star Wars upcoming movie and EA fiasco....

Bob Crees likes this.
  15. Furie

Furie Here To Help

Oh, I never even thought about that. I'd love to have seen the figures floating around the promos department immediately following that debacle.

Tanguy and Bob Crees like this.