Lifeline Design Article #1 - In the Army Now - 2/27/14

Discussion in 'State of Decay News' started by Undead Sanya, Feb 27, 2014.

1. MatchesMalone

MatchesMalone Got Your Back

Technically, the stuff in State of Decay will go into Class 3, so they are working towards it, but not actually building it.

Sanya did state that people will see video of other's playing Lifeline at PAX in April

2. Kiel555

Kiel555 Here To Help

I know this whole class 4 thing is a sore subject for some people but it's a long way off....like years from now. Every time UL does something to support the game they did release there is no reason to dog them about class 4.

In the meantime, this latest DLC is a pretty ambitious undertaking by UL. I mean this could be another 2 gig download. Breakdown was laughable on how it recycled everything and then put you in a perpetual groundhog day. But Lifeline could be a game unto itself. New map, characters, voice overs, story, weapons of course and in conjunction with a TU.

Rome was not built in a day. UL is not taking baby steps anymore but great strides. This is cause to applaud their efforts because great strides brings an epic class 4 full blown zombie apocalypse that much closer.

XzerothreeX and MatchesMalone like this.
  3. OldDogF14

OldDogF14 Here To Help

". . . brings an epic class 4 full blown zombie apocalypse that much closer."

Damnit! *runs off to see how much ammunition is left for the M4*

XzerothreeX and mudster like this.
  4. Would love to see a DLC or a State of Decay 2 game continue on with the main story following Marcus, Ed and Maya.

IllBlazer likes this.
  5. yarwest

yarwest Starting Off

if they survived you mean

mudster and MatchesMalone like this.
  6. koolaidman35

koolaidman35 Got Your Back

Very excellent setup for a D.L.C. I heard from someone that it would be on the outskirts of the city, but I kinda hope that you as the player could maybe have a small part of the Danforth map to where there are huge buildings that have multiple stories that you could go into. also I was wondering about the size of this D.L.C. as well. I think this dlc has kind of a world war z vibe to it.and a suggestion, for the game all in itself do you guys think you could make an update with difficulty settings like a hell mode that has hordes of like 50 to 70 zombies and the streets of marshall and the surrounding countryside and farms be completely crammed with zombies. P.S. awesome game best zombie survival game ever made.

7. koolaidman35

also I just thought of this as well but in the lifeline dlc maybe have the ability to pilot choppers and tanks and A.P.C.s and stuff like that but have to find parts if them more and more as the story plot deepens to go with the whole everything breaking down idea. an example would to be able to radio to the brass for parts for your military vehicles and other equipment but as you progress through the game make it to where you need to make the parts needed until you simply cant find and radio for the parts anymore.

8. STONEDSTONER

STONEDSTONER Starting Off

Release Date!!! ..............................

9. CaptainAssassin

CaptainAssassin Here To Help

They would have to drastically increase the rendering range/speed of the game, before any aerial vehicles would be feasible. Tanks would be OP... not to mention is makes no sense for them to be there in the first place.

10. niftyeye

niftyeye Got Your Back

OP, yes, but realistically why wouldn't a tank be there? Not much a zombie can do against a tank, and they would be VERY handy for sniping problems for the infantry, such as Juggernauts.

I'm not too fussed about vehicles, but an APC like a Stryker or M113 would be handy, or at least humvees :p

11. CaptainAssassin

CaptainAssassin Here To Help

It makes no logistical sense.
    They would never have been allocated to a viral outbreak. Just because there is a military presence there, doesn't mean they would have tanks. The military is totally overrun, cut off, and in over their heads. Its not the blitzkrieg.

Humvees make sense, transport trucks too... but APCs, tanks, anything the zeds can't tear apart would break the balance.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2014
    Claire Redfield and GTigers55 like this.
  12. Kiel555

Kiel555 Here To Help

I think a tank would be very appropriate for the lifeline dlc. Not an M1 Abrams of course but some type of APC like a Bradley. Think of it as the military equivalent to the RV. This is your base, communications center and even explains how you entered/escaped the city until something with 10 facilities like a hastily built base on the outskirts of Danforth can be built.

The APC would give you an advantage....for a little while. If you think an RV is a gas hog wait till you put the pedal to the metal in this bad dog. Likewise, life is good so long as the ammo drops keep happening. Once those ammo drops stop you'll be guns dry in no time.

An Air Force C-17 could air drop you and your Bradley anywhere on the planet any day any time.

13. XzerothreeX

XzerothreeX Famous

Don't forget about National Guard Armories. Could have a couple of APCs/Light Tanks on hand for urban pacification duty. (quarantine, rioting, pie obsessed maniacs burning down bakeries)

14. Kiel555

Kiel555 Here To Help

Yeah if this happened to be the one weekend a month when they are there training. Otherwise tough to borrow a tank when no one is home. Haha. It's probably best to bring whatever you need with you on this one.

15. XzerothreeX

XzerothreeX Famous

Local government is pretty incompetent, but one would hope the Governor would activate the states guard when things started going pear-shaped.

16. OldDogF14

OldDogF14 Here To Help

Except . . . a Stryker brigade, say, wouldn't deploy without its Strykers. Or a Mech battalion without its Bradleys. Sure, you could say that the dismounts would be out on foot for the most part, but the mounted elements would also be present, either manning roadblocks, doing roving sweeps of their own, or acting as a QRF for the dismounts. And it's better to have something you don't need than it is to not have something you do need.

You could have, say, an M1A2 and limit it in some way. Give it a limited number of main gun rounds - and, let's face it, APFSDSDU is pretty ineffective as an anti-personnel round - and give a good chance of throwing a track when you try to go squish things. Then all you've got is an immobile pillbox, probably a good distance from your base. Or make it a special ability you can call in and put it on a hefty cooldown timer. Is that really any more OP than the artillery strike?

Not trying to argue with you, just playing devil's advocate and spitballing an idea.:)

Relentless and XzerothreeX like this.
  17. niftyeye

niftyeye Got Your Back

I could imagine your typical noob zerg rushing the zombies with Tanks and Bradleys, while artillery rains down ahead and every single soldier within 10 miles is pouring fire towards the horde.

Fast forward an hour, they have no fuel, no ammo left and are surrounded by a huge horde of pissed off zombies, lol

Mind you, that would be all kinds of awesome.

Dantron and XzerothreeX like this.
  18. koolaidman35

captainassassins right I guess that it makes no sense for there to be choppers and all the like. but I do kind of agree with the Bradley idea, and also it probably wouldn't hurt toput a few military Humvees in the mix to. that way there isn't a bunch of soldiers being awkwardly dropped in in normas and stuff like that.

19. koolaidman35

or a pizza deliver vehicle.......

20. koolaidman35

also captainassassins right about tanks and stuff like that just making the game too damn easy.