Look, new forum!

Discussion in 'State of Decay News' started by Undead Sanya, Dec 5, 2013.

1. Undead Sanya

Undead Sanya Administrator

What a week.

SPIN YOUR PASSWORD BEFORE YOU READ ANY FURTHER.

Okay. As before, proooooooobably not necessary. The encryption held. But we do know the database was entered.

Just posted to the website: "One, you'll note we're on a new platform. We like the speed and technical support, and we think you will, too. Don't get too attached to the visuals, though. We'll be changing those over the next few days, time permitting. We just thought you would rather have the forum up as soon as we could put the "fun" in "functional," instead of depriving you while we messed around with colors and icons."

I also made a note about "less said, the better." You all know as well as anyone knows on the internet that the number one rule is Don't. Feed. The troll. While I admit part of me has enjoyed the more colorful comments some of you have made about the kind of person who goes after an indie game company's forum, one run by a community weenie, a community minion, with tech support by the company's president because there is no tech team... well, the fact is, no matter how much I've enjoyed those comments, they've just added moisture to the mold. So help me out, and speak no more of it. At least, until the first gathering of the players, where I will perform an interpretive dance on the subject.

Some tech notes about the new forum: I lost our title ladder in the move. Also, the new forum package has an intriguing like-based system. So! There are still post-count-based titles to unlock, but not as many as before. There are also trophies to be earned from people liking what you say. I even put in one called "The Sniper," which is earned by having a likes-to-postcount ratio that says you may not post OFTEN, but when you do, people love it.

I am still learning what all this sucker can do, so please be patient with me if I screw up for the next week or so. You can start mocking me next Friday ;)

Last edited: Dec 5, 2013
    Axios, Sexmachine and Virgel like this.
  2. Undead Sanya

Oh. Almost forgot! Avatars.

We also lost our avatar gallery, and the new software doesn't support one. We are looking into plugins to bring back the avatars you've known and loved for the last year point five. HOWEVER. Jeff thinks I'm being unnecessarily paranoid, and has convinced me to allow user-uploaded avatars for the time being. My rules for avatars are basically the same as the forum rules: Don't be a jerk. I am the one who decides what "jerk" means in this context. To be safe, stick with something zombie related and avoid text.

And positively no animated anythings. THIS FAR AND NO FARTHER.

gish, Sexmachine and Virgel like this.
  3. Undead Sanya

Aaaaaaaaaand now you can all post on this thread again.

4. Monkfish

Monkfish Starting Off

Hurrah! Thanks Sanya :)

5. Virgel

Virgel Here To Help

I personally love being able to choose my own avatar (My username makes sense now) but I can see where it can be abused... Hopefully my avatar is agreeable :).

People, don't abuse it! I'm not going to spend time enjoying my new avatar to have it taken away!

Thanks to both of you guys and everyone at Undead Labs for this!

6. Adeno

Adeno Starting Off

EDIT: Oh wow, you're fast! I can edit the original post again, thank you very much :)

Hi there!

Can we please have the ability to edit our original posts back without time limit? For example, the PC Mod forum can potentially turn into a mess because modders would have to create new posts for every new update/change they make because they can't edit their original posts right now. In my opinion, I think it's a lot easier to have a cleaner forum if the thread makers can edit their posts without limit. Everything can remain clean and organized since they'll just have to edit one thread all the time and people interested can just post in that specific thread instead of having to hunt down whatever is the latest thread the modders made.

Thanks in advance, I hope you consider this idea :D

7. Undead Sanya

Hee :) Yeah, as I was saying in another thread, enough of our old settings copied over that I'm occasionally getting thrown by what didn't. Like my news forum suddenly going read-only across the board. Or edit functionality, which is much more granular here than it was there, but I still had to find the damned button.

8. jon274

jon274 Starting Off

Go to sleep Sanya! :p

9. Undead Sanya

I haven't needed sleep since I developed this skin condition of mine. Just look at my pic!

Sangrash likes this.
  10. redkorssquad

redkorssquad Got Your Back

Its back. Yay.

11. Hmmm it's got that new forum smell

12. redkorssquad

redkorssquad Got Your Back

I know I aren't one to talk. But.
    This be needed.

13. Undead Nicole

Undead Nicole Community Manager Staff Member

I think once we get some spackle up and new carpet, it will be nice and cozy. :)

14. DrakeGmbH

DrakeGmbH Starting Off

It's like a flashback to vBulletin 2.

15. codybuck0

codybuck0 Starting Off

New forums yay!

16. Zaph

Zaph Starting Off

Congratulation to Undead Labs, all of you guys rocks !
    (I must add, I usually never roam on forum, but I had a lot of difficulty to wait all thoses days without reading you fellas)

17. liamypoo

liamypoo Famous

I love this new look and feel!

18. Dantron

Dantron Here To Help

Dantron waves to everyone enjoying the new forums. :)

19. Axios

Axios Got Your Back

The new look is wonderful!

20. Arc79

Arc79 Got Your Back

Oooh, it's all so shiny! Thank god it's back up properly though and custom avatars? Win! Now I need to go bugger about with everything and see what UL forums 2.0 can do.... Be warned, I'm a tech moron and if the site crashes, my apologies, I was probably just trying to change my signature.... ;) nice to be back online and thank you to the whole UL team for taking care of us!