[Modding Guide] - Custom Vehicles

Discussion in 'PC Mods' started by Phacops, Jun 7, 2014.

1. Just awesome guy !

2. Phacops

Phacops Here To Help

Thanks! Reworked all the rest now too, phew.

Now I expect to see some cars out of you, Nomadfr ;)

3. Phacops

Phacops Here To Help

Proof that you can rework the mesh solely through that file and have it export properly:
    [​IMG]

Made a super small car with a 55MPH top-speed and massive acceleration...it's a deathtrap, and it can drive through the front gate on the Savini residence due to the low width :)

4. SilentResident

SilentResident Got Your Back

I am stunned!

5. Phacops

Phacops Here To Help

Stuns?! Oh no, negative status effects and I'm all out of cure potions!

SilentResident likes this.
  6. SilentResident

Well, I am sure a that a gentle slap by the lovely Juggernauts will bring the stunned people back to their senses pretty fast! :D

7. Phacops

Phacops Here To Help

I know I've always felt they were misunderstood; I agree, such gentle giants they are. Kind of like "sea monsters" just politely checking the integrity of your rigging to make sure you get to your destination safely - "Yep, all clear!" he says, "Bon voyage, me hardees!"
    [​IMG]

8. Phacops

Phacops Here To Help

Looks like the model extends easily to in-game models that can easily be ported from CGF to CGA just like we did with CGA to CGF for remodeling, as seen in the main custom mesh modding thread.

See two examples, one being a fan van made as a mod that I then turned from a stationary CGF into a CGA, and a Semi that was road waste, which is now driveable - though I had to get creative since you can only have 4 wheels. So the back 2 are single units glued together to look like two wheels each, and the middle 4 don't move but will be covered with armor so it isn't visible ;) That will become the attributable Meat Monster I wanted to make in the first place but couldn't design outside of bounds. Get ready :)

Example #1:
    [​IMG]

Example #2:
    [​IMG]

Next stop, approximately, is as seen on the Fan Van thread:
    [​IMG]

9. SilentResident

Omg, man, thats awesome. Pls send us the files so we can replace Red Pickup, Blue Sedan and such color variations with these new unique vehicles in our games :)

10. Phacops

Phacops Here To Help

You can get the fanvan files from that thread. I'm fully redesigning the Semi right now. Takes a while since I'm building it from scratch using only the dimensions given from the previous. I may scrap it though...I like the idea of it but I'm not a bulky meatwagon kind of person so I lack the creative pre-existing ambiance for what I'd want it to be. Might just drop the normal Semi in and do something else, haha. Oh well, maybe I'll figure it out. Note that the 3D model shown above is not mine but just an example I pulled from the internets.

Oh and the little car will be added to the Debug tool along with whatever comes of the semi.

11. Phacops

Phacops Here To Help

Good enough? I was going with the general modern Semi but decided I didn't like the big brick. Crossbred it with a Diamond T:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 11, 2014
    SilentResident likes this.
  12. SilentResident

It is impressive that with this, the modding of the State of Decay is brought to a new record level :)

13. Phacops

Phacops Here To Help

So true :)

Take away the single thing limiting size and shape and we're good :)

The meat monster and the little dragster which I'm nicknaming The Sepulcher because it's a deathtrap are now packed into the debug tool with the other vehicles. Get em there if you'd like to use them.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Moving onto a rat rod next, I think. Something like:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 11, 2014
    Dallas and SilentResident like this.
  14. Silver-CPC

Silver-CPC Got Your Back

Very good news so, thank you very much. When you created the topic I wanted to ask if it was possible to use the in game wrecked models like... the bus! But I guess you already gave us the answer.

So, next step: more customized vehicles a la Mad Max? :)

[​IMG]

LiNanMian1984 and SilentResident like this.
  15. Phacops

Phacops Here To Help

Well, I have a whole idea in my head of what I want things to look like and now that I can achieve something comparable, I just need the time it takes to build them.

Mad max cars have been on the list from the start somewhere. Although I can appreciate highly developed and well engineered vehicles, I like the idea of raw utility and that fits the bill.

I think the one that actually was in mad max looked a little cheap and underdesigned but I like the look of the one you posted there. I need to figure out how to make decals work so I can plug them in - the game refuses to load the geometry if I put them on :(

Sorry, design brain gets rolling sometimes, haha.

But yes, it was intended but I really want the rat rod first.

And yes, like you said, any model in the game that can have 4 wheels attached to it can suddenly become a vehicle. Making it into a vehicle is a 10 minute job, fixing the mechanics in the XML file to place drivers and have it work correctly is what takes many hours.

So, drop your suggestions here for what you want :)

16. Phacops

Phacops Here To Help

Demonstrating the further possibilities based on the tutorial, I completed the latest and packed it into the debug tool -
    241540_screenshots_2014-06-13_00009.jpg 241540_screenshots_2014-06-14_00005.jpg
    [​IMG]

Dallas and SilentResident like this.
  17. Phacops

Phacops Here To Help

Just a quick note:
    It looks like the methodology contained here will also allow CGA's of all animation types to work correctly though with a couple added layers for that handling and a different deployment method, of course. Such as the fact that we wouldn't have wheels, the nomenclature could be more versatile, setting up animation keyframes, etc.

I have that working now with animations fully setup, able to travel into CryEngine, then get placed into the game and work correctly. I'll deploy the How-to on that in the future once I'm sure I understand it well enough not to lead anyone astray. Currently working on base traps to kill zeds through animations with rigid body physics engaged to gain the desired effect - a comical effect it is ;) - therefore that will be the basis of the tutorial when it comes, probably.

18. spacemousetw

spacemousetw Famous

Optimus Prime!!!:eek:

19. Phacops

Phacops Here To Help

Certainly more than meets the eye, if you ask me.

20. LiNanMian1984

LiNanMian1984 Here To Help

I saw the humvee... And thought oh god ... Want!.... Got to page two and see those trucks.... Oh My GAWD... Triple the desperation and then quadruple the want....