Motorized bike kit.

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by jackstack, Dec 6, 2017.

1. jackstack

jackstack Here To Help

I was looking on ebay at one of these engine kits, and was just wounding if anyone ever tried building one. By the looks of it, they look stupidly simple and easy to maintain. Even if you never built one, wouldn't these be an interesting mode of transportation for the end of times? (and not necessarily the zombie apocalypse either.) Also, I think it would be just cool to build one.

Doomen Gloom and Bob Crees like this.
  2. Bob Crees

Bob Crees Famous

Whether it is Hand Built, or bought from a Shop - The biggest problem with anything that runs on an engine, would be the lack of fuel over time. BUT for a fun thing to do, then yes have a go at building it. I remember as a Kid, building a little Steam Engine Model and when it first 'turned over' and started to work, I am sure I did a 'Fist Pump' :)

Doomen Gloom and jackstack like this.
  3. jackstack

jackstack Here To Help

I'm not gonna lie, the thought of my kid saying something to their kid about it (if it's around that long) "Look what grandpa made when he was about your age, and used to too!" I can't deny riding around on a bike you built* yourself is kind of cool. And the fuel problem is something I thought about, but hey, still got a bike if you need it, just throw off the engine.

Doomen Gloom and Bob Crees like this.
  4. Bob Crees

Bob Crees Famous

As far as I can remember I have had a an interest in the Military. When I was about 8 years old, I was handed 2 medals from the 1st World War, in a small cardboard '50' cigarette box. Both medals were named to my Great Uncle Lewie - My Grandmothers Brother. Later I found out that he worked on the steam railways in Pakistan before WW1, served in the Royal Engineers - Railway Company and then after WW1 worked on the steam railways in India. I have some black and white photos of him in the 1950's with a 1/16th steam locomotive running around a railway track, built in his back garden.

So I guess I am saying - keep a record of what you do - so your children's, children's, children know:)

Doomen Gloom likes this.
  5. Dunadain

Dunadain Famous

My only issue with tiny engines really is the racket they make. I imagine it's inefficient or not cost effective to do a muffler for a 2-stroke? Plus, the California Enviro-so-n-sos ban anything even remotely fun.

Bob Crees likes this.