Moving our Community

Discussion in 'News From the Lab' started by Undead Nicole, Jan 2, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Undead Nicole

Undead Nicole Community Manager Staff Member

Hey, everyone. It’s a brand new year, and we’re looking ahead with excitement, as we prepare to share with you what we’ve been working on for the last four years. We’re entering a new chapter in the evolution of State of Decay, and with that, we’re laying down new foundations for an even bigger State of Decay community.

We've decided that we need our community channels solidly in place well before the Great Launch hits us. You all know that the forum has been dwindling, partly because there's no new game information, but partly because most people just don't use forums anymore. We need to make sure that we go where the players are, and not ask players to come to us.

Now is the time to make the jump from a forum to a combination wiki /Discord /other channels strategy, before new information hits the internet.

Honestly, most of you are already on the Discord, so this change means next to nothing for you. Keep on keeping on. For our few remaining holdouts, would you please give it a try? We've set up a thread here on the forum to help you. []

I think you'll find it's simple and easy, and if you're as old as your community manager, you'll find it feels like old school IRC.

In order to keep all the amazing information you've helped us hoard over the years, we're going to drive the horde over to a wiki - We're going to need plenty of help with that, so if you're willing, please tag in.

Finally, your friendly community manager will be moving around to all the places players like to be. Just as a straw poll, would you mind telling me where you'll probably hang out the most, besides our Discord?

- Facebook
    - Twitter
    - Reddit
    - Steam
    - Other

The forum will be open until January 30, 2018, and then will transition to Read- only after that. We recognize that there is a wealth of invaluable knowledge on these pages, and we don’t want to lose that. You’ll still be able to read them.

To those few of you still here: Thank you. Please come with us. You were the ones that pushed the community up the hill at the beginning, and we need you riding along wherever the train goes.
  2. Fabian907

Fabian907 Famous

Twitter at most, Discord was a bit confusing and I can't remember if there was a moderator only section for news?
    Facebook is where I see some sight but not my cup of tea.
    Twitter is where I'm at, and also, lighten up that YouTube channel!
  3. Bob Crees

Bob Crees Banned

It's very sad to here that this Forum will be closing for Posts at the end of January. I guess after being here nearly 4 years, it was time for me to move on anyway.

@Undead Nicole as you know I messed up joining Discord and unless I can resolve that, I doubt I will be around.
  4. Fabian907

Fabian907 Famous

The truth hurts, I'm gonna put your name in my memorization book(once I start one) it'll be called Fabian's Bestest Friendz, If it is true that the forums will close, i will miss everyone friend I met.
  5. Cejao

Cejao Famous

wow, 2 days into 2018 and already the worst year ever...

what about the forum games? the zed gallery? the off topic threads ive been keeping updated for over a year...
    now its all for naught. ;(

Time for some thread necromancy it would seem, since its all new posts going to be shutdown in a month.
    Worst day of the year today I bet.
  6. Vladtheimpalerr

Vladtheimpalerr Got Your Back

Well all of the people I met here are free to add me on Xbox or Facebook. I like these forums, undead labs has a amazing fan base. Everyone I have talked to on here is amazing, super friendly and open minded.
  7. Undead Nicole

Guys, the community isn't going away. We're just moving.

Bob, send me an email. We'll try to work through your discord problems together, so you can join us.

Fabian, I'll create a read only channel for news for you. That's a good idea, thank you for it.

Cejao - I am really sorry to hear that you feel that way.
  8. Cejao

Cejao Famous

You should join the undead labs xbox club to keep track of your friends. ;)
  9. Vladtheimpalerr

Vladtheimpalerr Got Your Back

I will do that, thank you lol
  10. Bob Crees

Bob Crees Banned

Can Xbox Users join Discord?
  11. Cejao

Cejao Famous

receiving the blow that Sanya was departing was bad enough, but now this? :(
    I wish you could see, the pain and tears at realizing my second home where I have devoted much of my spare time is being closed to replies in only a month.
    I feel like a piece of me is being torn away and I want to keep it whole. :oops:
    Is there no way to keep the forums alive for those of us still here? Maybe close down applications for new members? I would gladly pay each month to keep it up if that was what it would take.
    Im not willing to give up my community dwelling without a fight..:mad:

(so much for my hopes of getting the rest of the profile point trophies.)
  12. Undead Nicole

Yep, they sure can.
  13. Bob Crees

Bob Crees Banned

14. Undead Nicole

I can't answer that question yet, Bob.
  15. Goonie

Goonie Here To Help

Hmm...interesting news, but I can understand your reasoning. I can't help but wonder, when SoD2 releases, what players will do first when they're having problems or questions. My first instinct would be to go to the game's official forums, since you know you'll be among people knowledgeable about the game. I know it's been quiet lately, but I feel like it'll surge when the game is out. Just my thoughts, though! I'm sure you all have more insight into this subject and it's why you're making this decision. Would having mods change anything?

If this site does go under, you'll find me mostly on the ResetEra forums. I'll have to get into Discord more, too, and I still have Twitter alerts on for the UL and SoD channels specifically.

Not sure how much it'll affect anything, but I do ask that you reconsider this! :)
    Ever Last, DJB204, rebel36 and 11 others like this.
  16. zechs

zechs Here To Help

17. QMJS

QMJS Famous

On first look, I am not liking it a lot. Mainly due to everything being smashed together into a channel, instead of threads for specific topics.

It may simply be a matter of getting used to where and how things are sorted.
  18. My personal concern is more about the mods...because I refuse to go back to Nexus Mods and Discord is rather distracting (I keep the whole thing muted 90% of the time because it's too active at times).

As for Reddit, I'm on there near constantly...though I haven't been keeping much track of the SoD sub.

Twitter...I tend to flick over just to see if I've been mentioned and to post new releases for my own stuff. Beyond that, it's been a cluttered mess ever since they went to Facebook -styled news feeds of "Here's what you missed!" and "Best of schtuff from the last week that you didn't look at because it's not what you wanted to see anyway!"

Facebook...I don't think I even know my Facebook passwords anymore. Other than using a sorta-fake-sorta-not account for apps that require Facebook verification...I don't track anything on there.

Honestly, the forums are about the most organized place to go for information/interaction. Beside that, Reddit and Discord are the easiest places to reach me (personally). Everywhere else is lost in the noise.
  19. Bob Crees

Bob Crees Banned

Well having looked at some of the 'Chat' on Discord since this news has been posted there, I can see that there is little support from a handful of people to keep these Forums open. They feel that 'older' people need to keep up with the times! ( This/ these comments were not made by Nicole) There are nearly 50,000 people here as members and there are always around 40 Guests showing online, so to me that would seem to be where the 'people' are - You 'Fan's' are already here. There have been nearly 800,000 messages posted since the Forums was opened.

Certainly from what I have seen on Discord, there will not be an opportunity for me to ask a direct question, as @Goonie mentioned, without having to read through a lot of junk stuff.

Look at all the work that people have done on mods? Where will they be able to post that stuff. What about people asking for help with their game not loading? How will they be able to get help? Certainly not from Discord, again unless you want to spent time reading through mundane comments.

I am sure the 'powers to be' could keep these Forums open, as well as using 'Chat' rooms for messages?

Edit - What about all the wonderful stuff @QuarantineRoad has done?
    Last edited: Jan 2, 2018
  20. SomeRandomGuy

SomeRandomGuy Famous

I don't use FB, steam is.....yeah I'll just say I felt bad for Lori, and I don't much like discord. My experiences on reddit have been just as bad as steam so I doubt I'd be moving there either. I'm oldschool, I like forums, they're easy to maintain and moderate so if that's going away I guess all I can really say is it's been fun.
    Ever Last, rebel36, DicheBach and 8 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.