Notes and News From the Stream, 7/16/2013

Discussion in 'State of Decay News' started by Undead Sanya, Jul 16, 2013.

1. ZedsDead

ZedsDead Got Your Back

Good news all around here. I'm hoping that 'harder' means resources playing a larger role in maintaining your well-being. I.e. don't make my camp invincible once all my characters are playable. Instills no sense of fear. I actually hope this is introduced in TU3, but I'd still buy sandbox if the challenge extended beyond 'zombies all now hit as hard and have the HP of juggernauts'. Test my strategy as well as my button mashing ability.

Also, would the reload of the map only occur once? Or will it continue to reload and ramp difficulty more than once? Like, say, an infinite number of times? Of course the difficulty would have to cap somewhere, though.

I'm hoping TU3 adds some depth on the strategic level. I found that once 1-2 characters are maxed and everyone was your friend that there was zero reason for me to fear, resources or not. A feat that could easily be achieved in only a few hours.

2. JPMurdock11

JPMurdock11 Starting Off

This was an awesome read

3. Yes quite refreshing to read they care about giving out info to us, I can see working with a partner, it must be difficult to throw away info but please continue in this vain.
    I appreciate the teams honesty and find it quite easy to accept when things wanted cant be done.

4. i am the only one around that feels kinda frustrated when sanya said it will be ""this year"" ?
    :(
    thats not cool...i tought it was faster
    i mean...i appreciate 100% UL but
    as a player from the day 1 im getting bored of waiting ...
    i want sandbox mode.....now :(

5. That's a good question actually. will we start off totally single and build up our community from scratch? and if so how will things like the radio work? will there be extra voice acting so other npc's can take the helm for you?

6. Faryn

Faryn Starting Off

Hmmm I`d almost imagine we would start alone at the ranger station, only that this time we actually find a survivor or two in the tents/houses surrounding it, then take it from there

7. IrishDead

IrishDead Here To Help

Since this is pretty much the most important part of the entire post, can we consider this to be a promise? ;)

8. xr1st1anos

xr1st1anos Got Your Back

Well, from what I saw on Twitch, Jeff was the one who promised he will make Brant dance the jig. But then again, Brant said we had to pay for the viewing of said jig

9. IrishDead

IrishDead Here To Help

[​IMG]
    Take my money...This is must see TV

Last edited: Jul 17, 2013
  10. SNIP *Last Page'd!

Last edited: Jul 17, 2013
  11. Kelvar

Kelvar Starting Off

I'm curious about Sandbox mode in many respects, for now, though, I'm curious about what the plan is in terms of the character with which one restarts. I assume it would be the character one was controlling when one left the valley. If so, I wonder if this means that character could restart with all the gear he or she was carrying at the time? I also wonder if that could include a rucksack?

One thing that wasn't mentioned, but that appears to be a popular request, is whether we could get the ability to tell certain survivors to "stay put" and just remain at the base. I'd be happy if we could do this with even *one* character. For example, say I have Virginia Dahlgren, DMD (i.e. the dentist) in my group. Virginia has a bad back, but she's a medical expert. I'd like to be able to develop her Rifle skill, equip her with a good, scoped, rifle and ask her to stay at the base. That way she could tend the injuries/illnesses of my other survivors and help man the watchtower when she isn't busy in the medical lab. Perhaps more importantly, this would also give me a little peace of mind knowing that my "Doctor" was relatively safe and wouldn't be out hunting Juggernauts or responding to requests to pick up rucksacks and possibly getting devoured.

12. Sandbox mode sounds good -- except for the part about respawning into the exact same map. That's just weird. Is there no way of procedurally generating some variations in the next location?

13. Sanya, can you please ask Jeff if they've considered making a custom settings screen like this for starting a new sandbox game:

World Options
    [table="width: 700, class: outer_border"]
    [tr]
    [td]
    Offline Simulation
    • On *Default
    • Off
    [/td]

[td]Story Missions
    • On *Default
    • Off
    [/td]

[td]
    Randomized Pre-Built Base Facilities
    • On
    • Off *Default
    [/td]
    [/tr]
    [/table]
    [tr]
    [td]
    Custom Starting Character
    • On
      • Name
      • Voice
      • Up to 1 Combat Trait
        (Reflex\Powerhouse)
      • Up to 1 Profession Trait
        (Cop\Doctor\Mechanic\Ect)
      • Up to 3 Background\Personality Traits
    • Off *Default
    [/td]

[td]Pitch-Black Nights
    (Turns off ambient lighting at night)
    • On
    • Off *Default
    [/td]

[/tr]
    [/table]

Zombie Options
    [tr]
    [td]Zombie Spawn Rate
    • Reduced
    • Normal *Default
    • Increased
    [/td]

[td]Zombie Health
    • Reduced
    • Normal *Default
    • Increased
    [/td]

[td]Zombie Damage
    • Reduced
    • Normal *Default
    • Increased
    [/td]

[/tr]
    [/table]

[tr]
    [td]Zombie Speed
    • Slow
    • Normal *Default
    • Fast
    [/td]

[td]
    Zombie Bite Lethality
    • Normal *Default
    • Chance of Black Fever
    • Chance of Instant Death
    • Random
    [/td]

[td]Special Zombies
    • Disabled (None Spawn.)
    • Reduced Health
    • Normal Health *Default
    • Increased Health
    [/td]
    [/tr]
    [/table]

Survivor Options
    [tr]
    [td]Survivor Health
    • Increased
    • Normal *Default
    • Reduced
    [/td]

[td]Survivor Stamina
    • Increased
    • Normal *Default
    • Reduced
    [/td]

[td]
    Vehicle Durability
    • Increased
    • Normal *Default
    • Reduced
    [/td]
    [/tr]
    [/table]

Resource Options
    [tr]
    [td]
    Respawning Resources
    • On (Every 7 In-Game Days)
    • On (Every 14 In-Game Days)
    • On (Every 30 In-Game Days)
    • Off *Default
    [/td]

[td]
    Base Resource Usage
    • Reduced
    • Normal *Default
    • Increased
    [/td]

[/tr]
    [/table]

Item Options
    [tr]
    [td]Ammo Availability
    (The item for re-loading guns, not the resource.)
    • Plentiful
    • Common
    • Normal *Default
    • Scarce
    • None
    [/td]

[td]Consumables Availability
    (Snacks, Painkillers, Coffee, Etc.)
    • Plentiful
    • Common
    • Normal *Default
    • Scarce
    • None
    [/td]

[/tr]
    [/table]

Thank you!

14. Personally, I hate horde mode style games. (Ones that you play until you die.) Especially when you play the game as long as this one, it is just pretty unsatisfying to think that you'd play for a week or two and then just at some point lose the game.

Not only that, I like having the missions to mix it up a bit, it seems like it would get boring to just have infestation/kill freak/save survivor missions repeat over and over until you die from the game being too hard.

The reason goal-less sandbox works in other games like minecraft, is because there is a ton of stuff to do. But in SoD, there really isn't that much to do apart from the story missions.

To me, this just reinforces the idea that a Custom New Game option is the way to go, rather than just the currently described sandbox mode. Without a ton of things for the player to do, the only "easy" way to make the experience interesting is to vary what conditions you can ala a customizations screen so that it is up to the player.

15. redkorssquad

redkorssquad Got Your Back

Last i checked the bases which had pre built facilities were similar all around, at snyders you had a chance of the workshop up to whatever it is that repairs cars.

But the rest sounds rather good, though I still don't see why people hate on the simulations.

On topic: This all sounds good and I'm looking for forward to see the patch notes. :)

16. Coyote

Coyote Got Your Back

AS former law enforcement and , as I understand, Brant is former military I hold him to this. Similar to the pact of "Whoever dies first, the survivor has to wear a dress to the funeral."

17. Sounds freaking EPIC, god i can't wait

18. noooooooooooooo

19. Wyndrusher

Wyndrusher Starting Off

Not having the tools isn't really that big a deal, especially on such a well known engine, there's many things people can do!

20. Capt.C.Baker

Capt.C.Baker Here To Help

I've heard it's actually harder to mod on the CryEngine without the tools. Still possible, but harder. ;)