Official YOSE release announcement

Discussion in 'News From the Lab' started by Undead Sanya, Jan 21, 2015.

1. ChuckP

ChuckP Starting Off

So let me get this straight, and please correct me if I'm wrong, because I wanna be wrong. You're basically re-releasing the exact same game with a few but vital new additions and improvements (better graphics, animations, more vehicles, weapons missions and characters and an expanded unarmed combat system), but instead of being a separate update, or dlc, or whatever you wanna call it, the only way to get those is through buying the whole game again at relatively full price, and if you don't you're essentially left with and outdated version of the product, is that it?
    And while I appreciate the discount and unique content which shows you haven't forgotten about old customers (which is more than I can say for the likes of Namco and their handling of the Dark Souls 2 debacle) I still can't quite shake the feeling that this is a somewhat shady business practice. Especially considered from the PC view point, which unlike the Xbone and the 360, which are separate platforms altogether, suffers no such limitation.

MattyDienhoff likes this.
  2. Undead Sanya

Undead Sanya Administrator

You're kinda making it hard for me to answer, with the undertones of "have you stopped beating your wife?" ;) Just kidding, mostly. I'll try:

- Some of the best games on earth are "outdated" (System Shock 2 is the first thing to come to mind) but still worth playing. I like to think we did stuff so differently that the existing game stands on its own. You may disagree, which is totally fine. I've been saying for a couple years now that the game was definitely not for everyone. We did patch it multiple times for more than a year to address what we could address within the limitations we were stuck with.
    - We certainly did not want to just crap out a port. While our baby was flayed out on the operating table, why NOT put in what we could? Especially with animations and combat mechanics and general smoothness. We remember rather vividly that nearly every review was along the lines of "diamond in the extremely rough" and so on.
    - We knew for a fact from talking to players that there were a lot of people who had mothballed their 360, bought a One, and wanted State of Decay back. Those players were willing to buy it again (not all that different from people who had it on the 360 and decided to buy it again on Steam). We wanted to tell those people how very, very much we appreciated their support. Hence the exclusive new stuff and the best discount we could swing. From where I'm sitting, it was a thank you to those people, people who were going to buy it again no matter what. Not an incentive for people who only sort of liked it the first time, if that makes sense?
    - I admit I personally would like to do more for PC players, given the viewpoint you cite. But here is the thing. This game's development was paid for by our publisher and they own the IP. Having platform exclusives is a big deal to publishers for obvious financial reasons. We did not think there was a chance for this game to EVER be on PC, and we look at it as this wonderful unexpected joy that we were able to bring the game to PC at all. Now flash forward to 2014 - our publisher approaches us about bringing the game to the One. They'll also do a Steam version. You see? It wasn't about upgrading the game, full stop, it was about upgrading the game FOR THE ONE.
    - I will be as liberal with review codes as I always am, so you will have plenty of second opinions to decide if it's worth your money, and I will not be at all offended if you choose "no." But I do hope you'll continue to follow us so you'll be the first to know when a really new SOD game comes out.

3. Mcgroarty

Mcgroarty Starting Off

I <3 Sanya :) she can outline things without needing to put you in your place, but then..she can still put you in your place LOL

4. Zombie_Coats

Zombie_Coats Here To Help

RE: pvp, kos, trolls - Maybe if you (or others) want a simulation.... others may just want to spend their rare and precious spare time not getting wound up or seeing all their effort of 100hrs wiped away by some neanderthal who just so happens to have a better t'internet connection, or is so stunted that they have to purchase hacks to defeat ppl unfairly because thats how they get their kicks. If anyone wants that they can play any number of games out there. H1Z1 seemingly being the latest one.

No doubt if everyone is playing that way then great... they should get on with it... but others dont want to play that way. Others (I spk for myself here) may just want to play with the spirit of cooperation. Its just a video game right!? Well if it is why do these delinquents get so much of a kick out of kos, spawn camping, hacking, griefing and any other deviant online game activity?

It always ends up as some dodgy gamey gameplay action, exploit or some technological advancement. I.e. playing is not done in the spirit of the game.

Dont take it personally but everything you argue for pvp just makes want to not play a game like that. Which is why those ppl who enjoy it can go play: Rust, Nether, IIS, H1Z1 or anything else out there. And heres me (and a fair few others) hoping for a mostly coop experience or at least one where ppl can go play pvp somewhere else (another servers which youve pointed out and I agree with) and we can go actually fight the real menace... that would be the zombie swarm heading our way! ^^

Thats the bottom line.... its a zombie apocalypse... not a free-for-fall of who can kill most other human players!

(If we see a game where the ai zombies scare us players shitless and actually make us want to run away when our bases are about to become home to 1m strong zombie horde, then maybe pvp will be a mute point because only noobs and a**es will be doing it!)

Last edited: Mar 5, 2015
  5. Undead Nicole

Undead Nicole Community Manager Staff Member

This is hands down the best phrase. I'm stealing it.

6. IrishDead

IrishDead Here To Help

Agreed 100%

Bob Crees and XzerothreeX like this.
  7. Applesintime

Applesintime Famous

Dead Zone? Loved that.

8. XzerothreeX

XzerothreeX Famous

Blargh! Hurry up with the April 28th business already!

ThatChristmaskid and Bob Crees like this.
  9. Bob Crees

Bob Crees Famous

Chuck, as Sanya states, us PC users are lucky to be able to play the game(s) in the first place. I for one am glad that the games are being released separately, as I would hate to loose the Original Story game:)

As I have stated before (many times), I can live with a coop game, but not a PvP game, for the reasons stated above.

10. There is just one thing I want to point out. Undead Labs publisher is Microsoft who also own Windows OS for the PC. I'm not sure why it's so hard for Microsoft to support both platforms they have ties to. I could understand it if the publisher was Sony but it's not therefore it shouldn't be difficult to bring Undead Labs games to both Xbox and PC. I guess Microsoft only wants to support One of their platforms and we all know which One that is :)

I'm glad the updated version is coming to PC but not sure if i'll be forking out again for updated graphics and some new animations. Maybe later in a steam sale but not at full price.

11. OldDogF14

OldDogF14 Here To Help

Except that it's not just "updated graphics and some new animations." Whether or not the other things being included in YOSE are worth the asking price to you is, of course, a value-judgment to which only you have the answer. Nor is it particularly a question of favouring one platform over another; it has always been UL's position that there would be no significant differences between the Xbox and PC versions of the game, and that everyone would have the same gameplay experience. :)

Last edited: Feb 16, 2015
    XzerothreeX likes this.
  12. Zombie_Coats

Theres just one problem with your logic (as good as it is)... Microsoft is not the publisher... its Microsoft Studios which may be related or belong to the large overall Microsoft corp.... but Microsoft Studios is the games related end of the business. Therefore one of their primary concerns is to publish games, games which make money. And as far as Im aware games on consoles make more money per unit than they do per PC. Theres also more chance of getting games pirated on PC than consoles. (Though Im not 100% sure on the exact bottom line.)

In addition as its MS studios their other primary goal is to support their console platform.... so games are going to be made for consoles first and PC only if there is a substantial market for them.

So its only natural to see console ports from them for the most part. Lets face it developers arent going to cut themselves off from the consoles, PC or mobile markets if they can avoid doing so.

Im honestly not bothered about playing a console port as long as its to the immersion levels of SoD. Even if we had to wait for PC standard controls for a few weeks! :p ;)

13. DZax

DZax Starting Off

I don't like the idea of not upgrading the game on PC to the people that bought the game and DLC when they came out on day one, that's sad... I've enjoyed SoD a lot, but enjoying the same game with just a few improvements is meh in my opinion.

14. Undead Nicole

Undead Nicole Community Manager Staff Member

I'm not sure what you mean by this. PC players who already have the original game will be receiving bonuses to their content.

15. sort of off topic
    @undeadleabs team just wondering if the game will be available "on time" in australia
    big fan of the game just don't want to be delayed like the 360 version
    i know you have no say in this but just wondering if you know

Last edited: Feb 21, 2015
  16. SomeRandomGuy

SomeRandomGuy Famous

Really excited to see a release date, though I probably won't be getting it (at least not right away) because of money issues. Kinda sucks I'll likely be missing out on the goodies but eh.

That works there because the game was built around it, but let's not forget the people who spend $30 on the car upgrade dominate everything because it takes them no time at all to scavenge the resources to upgrade their base and rebuild it if someone manages to wreck it, I can't see that working in a SoD game mostly because pvp just does not fit the setting. Then again I just despise pvp in a game where the focus is shown as fighting AI enemies.....either do pvp or co-op but not both because it don't work. Just look at day z and war z, they're advertised as pve with pvp elements but the zombies are little more than a minor distraction from people killing eachother over a can of beans or a bottle of water. Do not want in a State of Decay title.

17. Zombie_Coats

I think its a lament on the time honoured tradition of developers/publishers bringing out a souped-up version of the same game later on. And then charging those ppl who purchased the game and dlcs at full/release price for the privilege. Rather than rewarding those ppl who did so with either a free upgrade of the "new/extra" content or at least the option to purchase that bit separately. Rather than paying full-price for the same game, just to get the "new" content. #sometimeslifeaintfair #luvSoD #spend2muchtimeonSoDforums

Last edited: Feb 21, 2015
  18. Is it just me or does it seem a shame that all of us who bought SOD for our 360's and cant afford an xbox one will miss out on a better version of a game we've supported since it first appeared? Undead Labs are great, don't get me wrong, I am proud to have their awesome game and am an avid supporter, but it feels like we are being left behind?

Zombie_Coats likes this.
  19. CaptainAssassin

CaptainAssassin Here To Help

The 360 is being left behind... just like every console before it. Industry follows technology, and we can't fault UL or Microsoft for that.

Dantron and Zombie_Coats like this.