Our Final Farewell Thread to forums.undeadlabs

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Alan Gunderson, Jan 5, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Alan Gunderson

Alan Gunderson Here To Help

You: What is that?
    Lily: I just... I wanted to leave something behind. For the people that didn't make it.

Even if nobody knows what it means but us... they deserve to be remembered.

You: Come on, Lil'.

Due to an influx in new content, the final product of the project may be found once it releases on this channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCA54LgcRTFyizHeJgdmJRcQ?

With the upcoming influx of news, the unfortunate demise of forums.undeadlabs has arrived.

This will be a rough month for all of us long-term and dedicated members. So many lifelong friendships have been forged here. Legendary threads, conversations and discoveries have occurred within these subforums. At the end of January, the forum will be frozen in time.

As upsetting this news is to some, we must remember that the community is not dying - merely dispersing to other channels.

The fact is, this forum was our community anchor. It was a universally accommodating board that did not require a separate app or social media account to access. It was a place for us to relax and chat with fellow State of Decay fans. It was a place to peruse recent events within our lives and share our experiences with others. It was a a thriving home to be visited between classes, during our breaks at work, de-stress as we came settled for our nights and simply have an active, fun and open space to feel comfortable among our peers.

As a long-term member from the development days, I am obligated to stick by the friendships I have made here and do my damnedest to make sure the history and memories we have built here live among us as this forum lies dormant in cyberspace.

I ask all of you to respond to this thread with a memoir of your favorite memories of this forum. All responses will be preserved in a video, which I will share upon completion.

What relationships have you forged here that will last a lifetime? How did you find out this forum existed? What experiences here helped shape you to who you are today? Where will you go once the doors to the forum shut for good? Summarize your experience with our favorite forum and community.

Hopefully this thread will provide you all with the space you need to express your feelings adequately now that your time with this website is coming to a close.

To the forum staff at UndeadLabs

I think I speak for everyone when I thank you for the memories we have created here.

@Undead Nicole ,@Undead Sanya , @Undead Brant , Lori and others. You have helped make this community what it is today. It is a community that will be dearly missed. I wish the best for what future adventures will be had with our community directors, past, present and in the future.

It is thanks to you that we have this community standing today.

This thread is dedicated to the members we have lost along this forum's journey, and the ones we will unfortunately lose with the move to other channels. All of you will be missed dearly by those of us you have touched with your presence. Our conversations, debates and brainstorming will never be forgotten.

To those of us who are still here, and those who will continue to serve this community as it travels outside of this forum - I ask that you please contribute to this thread. Leave your farewell on this thread before the month ends, so we have a memorial of our time here.

I will preserve any and all posts on this thread into some form of scrapbook for our favorite experiences and interactions with our forum family.

Catch you later.

-Alan Gunderson
    Last edited: Jan 29, 2018
    M >>>, xGbHx, The Stray Cat and 20 others like this.
  2. Thanks to the forum members that created great memories for me!
    • @Misaki for that awesome State of Decay RP we had going
    • @QuarantineRoad for the awesome artwork on the forums, personal art provided to me and for being a treasured friend throughout
    • @Undead Nicole and the entire team for being so great to me, both in the public channels like here and in person. You guys and gals ROCK HARD. Also...I still share the theory that the *always goes missing* Warden's apprentice was really an evil Warden and we were leading up to an epic Solari battle. May we one day have that great battle!
    • @YojimBeau for his tech support and navigating of Seattle, which otherwise would have left me wandering for hours and probably getting freaky with or getting freaked on by an alley thug
    • @ThatChristmaskid and the others of the audio mod group for the amazing effort (over 16,000 audio files!!!)
    • @DeadK9Handler for the help with my MOUT mod, getting the notes done
    • @Undead Foge for ruining Take on Me forever by continuously playing it as your helicopter music in MGSV streams
    • And everyone else who has made it worthwhile to come out here daily to see what's going on
  3. Cejao

Cejao Famous

Here are some songs/videos that express how I feel about the community and our time together, and the coming end.

KC & The Sunshine Band - Please Don't Go

The Verve - One Day

Europe - The Final Countdown (Video)

Vincent Price - Goodbye So Soon

Queen - The Show Must Go On (Video)
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2018
  4. Bob Crees

Bob Crees Banned

I remember why I came here in the first place. I bought the the original Story Game and really enjoyed it, playing it over and over; despite the quirky bugs, and then I got the original Breakdown. Now I was really struggling with this, especially went I started to go up levels. So many of my people were going missing and it was really becoming a bit of a game breaker for me. So I thought to myself, there must be a reason for this and did a quick search on google and came across these Forums. Well it took just one question from me and I had maybe 10 people all give me advice - I was failing to clear out the Infestations - Something as simple as that. Just one question answered from genuine people here, who were willing to help a newbie to the Forums, has given me 1000's more hours of playing a game I love, when I was at the point of moving onto something else.

What really stood out for me, was that the Forums were not just about SoD, but included other things like the 'Off Topic' threads, along with the 'Role Playing' Threads etc. Although I am competently computer illiterate, I was amazed at how some people were able to Mod their games.

But for me the BIGGEST thing about the Forums was the willingness of people to help others. Members taking out time to assist strangers when they had problems with their games not loading or simple advice like I recieved. Or when people shared personal thoughts and got support.

Having been here nearly 4 years, I could go on and on about my feelings. Though I think its best to conclude:-

Thank you UL for starting the Forums in the first place and so allowing me to have many many hours of fun over the years. I now need to find another place where I can spend 6 - 8 hours a day lol. Edit - Now might be the time to reach Level 99 and conquer LifeLine

@Undead Nicole Thank you for putting up with me over the years:)

Thank you to all the people I know here, who I can call a Friend (whether on my Friends list or not), even though we have never met. It really has been great fun to chat with you all, in a nice relaxed environment. Hopefully we will find a good way to stay connected.
    Last edited: Jan 5, 2018
  5. Del44ZSlayer

Del44ZSlayer Here To Help

Can't reply... chaining myself to the forums gate in protest! ;-) (jk).
    I have loved State of Decay since the beginning, and I regret not becoming active online sooner, the internet up until a little over a year ago, never held much appeal to me. However, when I wrote my first actual query about something in the game, and got such a friendly overwhelming and unexpected influx of responses, I was hooked! The feeling of being part of a community that felt like a family, was addictive. Since then Iv barely missed a day. I will sincerely miss this forum, as my ritual of opening the UL forum shortcut on my phone is something I automatically perform whilst eating breakfast every single day, and seeing all the new notifications everytime I did always gave me pleasure in anticipation of what new and interesting things I might read and learn.
    The UL forum staff esp @Undead Nicole have always been incredibly responsive and helpful, often going above and beyond to help out.
    Overall I'm genuinely incredibly upset and saddened that soon these doors will be closed for good. I will always hold dear my time here, and the Undead Labs forums will always retain a special place in my heart.
  6. XzerothreeX

XzerothreeX Famous

Thanks for the memories, guys. Remember, if you remember nothing else, Zero loves you and will never forget you. The finest group of people I've ever been a part of. God bless.
  7. Cejao

Cejao Famous

And you'll give us discounts on HVAC work. ;)
  8. XzerothreeX

XzerothreeX Famous

You bet. It must be said that my hourly rates are hideous, so that discount will be a small comfort.:D
  9. chikawowwow

chikawowwow Here To Help

The Undead Labs forums are special and somehow managed to avoid all the cliches that make other gaming forums intolerable.
    For example:
    The highly knowledgeable people @Phacops @QMJS @SwissArmyKnife @YojimBeau to name a few are not patronising f*** bags, helpful nice people who don't make you feel like a twat.
    You actually get welcomed to the forum by an actual person @Bob Crees ,there's no initiation to prove yourself as a peer, if you're here you're us :)
    People share 'unconsumables' and they're loved @QuarantineRoad @MonPrinCyCLoPe
    ** Consumables being mods, code etc etc / stuff that people can use
    The douchebag who made fun of my screen name @Cejao isn't actually a douchebag..
    Someone actually likes all the South Park gifs I have @Del44ZSlayer
    The moderators are so reasonable @Undead Nicole @Undead Sanya that when they do finally ban you (as I have been) you feel like an utter prick for the 4 days until you can sign in again to apologise. I can't show how I know because it's in a PM but Nicole is a sincerely good person, not half or almost, and if Undead Labs push her out next I'll seriously find some way to fuck with them. Not today not tomorrow but I'll kill them - TWD reference.
    Lastly everyone reading this is the reason this forum is special because you aren't on the internet anymore, you're in the undead labs community. Save us.

There are sooo many other people I feel I should mention in order to remain fair but it would just bloat the page to unreadable. I've interacted with and ghosted so many people in the 4 years to the day I've been here that to mention everyone is impossible especially as I mostly go by pictures. I mean no disrespect whatsoever if I haven't mentioned you directly.
  10. Applesintime

Applesintime Famous

Well, this is is boys. I figure there's one thing that should be memoralized, that all good men should know and fear... THE BRENSTEN! BrenSten.jpg
    FTcivic, Arc79, maltriagon and 16 others like this.
  11. chikawowwow

chikawowwow Here To Help

I disagree, the Alan Gun is superior :p @spacemousetw @Alan Gunderson
  12. orgelambart

orgelambart Here To Help

yo I'm gonna miss all you people,, can't believe I joined the forum in 2013, when someone told me about State of Decay.. Got banned a few times for a few days, but shocking enough been here forever and never managed to get perm banned.. So I guess since the forums are going to be gone I might as well say Fu... never-mind.. have a good one..
  13. Righteous Ham

Righteous Ham Here To Help

When Alan asked for my contribution to his scrapbook the first experience that I considered sharing was how it was that I came to be here the first place. Yet, that story has been shared before and something fresh seemed like a better idea.

Some hours were spent with the question idling in my mind. During that time, other great experiences worthy of remembrance came back to me, but I couldn't quite let go of the first idea. I came here through a series of errors, assumptions and miscommunications. In other words perfect comedic fodder.

In the coming days I'll likely share other standout stories of my time here but as this is for a scrapbook there can be no better place to begin than the tale of blunders that was my early time here.

The first time I became of State of Decay as a thing was through an advert that popped up on my dashboard when browsing for something interesting on Xbox. I clearly recall the surprise I felt when seeing the game because I didn't think it was anywhere near complete.

No doubt observant readers will be squinting their eyes in suspicion at that seemingly contradictory statement. Please, reference above. You see, I'd been semi-closely following the creation of another community based zombie survival game. This game which was being developed by Double Bear and Iron Tower studios was called Dead State.

They had a simple forum where every Monday one of the dev team would post a blog about what was being done in the game that week. I perused said forum casually but never bothered signing up or really participating beyond reading the dev blog. Naturally, this would lead to certain assumptions later on down the line.

At some point prior to the release of SoD I lost touch with the forum. Either it moved or I simply stopped going there, the memory eludes me now. As result of this, when SoD arrived, confusion abounded. The tenor of the dev blog along with what small sampling of posts I'd read outside that seemed to indicate the game was not nearly ready for release. Curiosity, along with what I recalled of the dev blogs drove me to purchase the game.

Imagine my surprise when the game turned out to be vastly different from what the blog had claimed. Still, what was there worked well for the most part and I ended up deeply enjoying the experience. After a week or two playing the game I again wondered why it had turned out so different from what the dev team had been describing. Games change during their creation often enough and the core themes (zombies and community management) remained intact, so there wasn't much suspicion regarding the possibility of it being another game.

With that in mind I decided to go the forum and see how it all came together. Luckily for me Undead Labs was nice enough to advertise their forum in a text crawl on SoD start scree so I knew precisely where to go. One would think coming here would quickly disabuse me of the notion that this was the game I'd been reading about before, but one would be sadly mistaken in that assumption.

At the time I joined Undead labs had just moved to this new forum from their old simple board - old timers will know the one - and many people made references to it frequently enough that this place being vastly different didn't clue me in. There was even a thread by Sanya about the change over. I lurked for something like two weeks to a month looking for the information I sought and nothing I came across was divergent enough to my assumptions to point me in the right direction.

Many might wonder why I didn't sign up and ask but since my information was based on bad assumptions and what I read was close enough to what I already believed there was really no way I could've reliably known what to ask to set me on the right path. SoD itself had gone through some changes during its development time, and I assumed that covered the changes in the final game. The reason I was reluctant to sign up at all was due to having been burned quite badly by poor experiences on forums in the past and was in no hurry to go through such again.

Eventually I did sign up mostly because I liked what I saw of the community here. A community which had been established on another forum, just not the one I'd being reading for a year. You'll recall I only paid close attention to the dev blog and had a marginal interest in the forum proper.

I would be member of the Undead Lab community a full year! A YEAR! Before the truth came out. In the end Dead State was a passing fancy that ultimately lead me where I needed to be.

@Alan Gunderson how's that?
    Last edited: Jan 6, 2018
  14. liamypoo

liamypoo Famous

Holding place thing. I wanna make an actual good statement that wont be sucky so gimme time :D
  15. liamypoo

liamypoo Famous

Also if you people dont come to the discord imma haunt you all
  16. Phacops

Phacops Here To Help

Love you people.

I'd like to thank basically anyone that ever set foot in the Mod section, and all you lovelies that went around helping people after making your own tidy things.

Particularly in the manners that have been presented already, but especially in that which @chikawowwow spoke of--to be wholly accepted and not rejected for lack of knowledge, or asking simple questions.

And, within that, corroborating that it was always a place that felt welcoming, both in community and in @Undead Nicole keeping out all the nasties :)
    Where a great mass of the world, from YouTube Comments to Steam Communities to Reddit are wastelands of hate and ennui--this was one of altruism & philanthropy, of incomparable wonder.

Note that when I say "always," that I speak from the world of "Member Since: Mar 18, 2013"
    (I was ready to mod for PC before it seemed to even be sure it was for PC at all ;))

I'll try Discord again but I'd go to work and come back to 400+ messages then give up trying to comb through it for what may have been meaningful.
    ...Perhaps Mid-life Lizards have become the new Elder Dragons and I can't keep up with the hatchlings anymore, who knows ;)
  17. Bob Crees

Bob Crees Banned

Why not come to a Forum rather that a Chat Room?
  18. Dunadain

Dunadain Famous

So long, and thanks for all the fish!

(and pie)

Hey UL staff: thanks for a game we can gather around, and a place we can be a family. So much so, we actually don't want to get kicked out!
    Last edited: Jan 7, 2018
  19. Vers

Vers Here To Help

I came here bitter from the Gearbox forums and the Undead Labs forums were on the opposite side of the spectrum. How the devs treated their community, to how the community treated each other. I honestly believe SoD became a better game because of these forums-the community that gave their feedback, and the team at Undead Labs that sifted through all of it to figure out what info would make their game a gem.

Thank you for hosting us as long as you did, Undead Labs. For listening to us. For allowing us to be creative with contests, places to write, places to post our fan appreciation, for the games, and for the family. We all made a special history here. And it was wonderful.

I'll speak frankly enough and say that I think closing this forum is a mistake. And that if a game is good enough, people will come to information. The game doesn't need to go to them. And that's exactly what we all did with SoD. We went to where the info was, and I think they chose wisely in using the forum as a platform. A game might have ten other media outlets, but why go through the trouble? And why split the community in doing so?

I get that if things aren't growing they're dying, but plants don't grow without any rain. And it hasn't rained with big buzz info in a long time honestly. These forums would have lit up like the Fourth of July upon release. The platform may change, and while the people will go to those platforms, the dynamics are going to change the interactions we have. I already see it in discord, I'm just waiting to read a good discussion, but that's not possible. It's brevity stripped of dialogue (though I love the emojis).

I'm pissed. I'll say it. I'm pissed that this ground is being taken away by someone who doesn't deem it important enough despite the ability to post News, Bugs and glitches, consolidate information, search for similar issues, conduct polls, amongst other things. And maybe I do feel a bit entitled, but I want to read what happens next with my friends here. And no one's going to post that on reddit, or the facebook, maybe twitter? Our deep discussions on discord? Maybe in a private message. But my thoughts and feelings would be packed into saying this: "Man, I'm going to miss you guys. I wish this wasn't happening. Well, bye." And that's it. And if you were grabbing a cup of coffee, you probably missed what I said because it was chatted over with people saying hello and goodbye.

I'm going to be on the discord, because what other choice do I have? It's the best way to stay in the loop and maybe talk with Undead Nicole or Undead Geoffery, but it's not the same. I could go on but it's just going to make me more upset over the decision, and my post is toxic enough as is. I'll play ball and be happy and excited about the game on discord--because I will be happy and excited about the game, and I want Undead Labs to get the credit they deserve, but I'm so incredibly disappointed in this decision, and I'd be doing the community a disservice if I went out quietly.

I hope to see all of you at SAK's forum that he created for all of us. I hope that those that flock back when State of Decay II comes out, only to find this place a relic, that they find us there. Especially you, @Rock33B. I still say prayers for ya almost every night, buddy.

How's this for my quote:
    It never felt like quantity here. It was special, built by a community's passion. And that's what I loved about it.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2018
    FTcivic, e5futter, M >>> and 19 others like this.
  20. ErnestK7

ErnestK7 Here To Help

Damn, will people in the future look over on the relics of our forum games, and will they be able to see the connection we all shared through SoD.
    Probs not.
    But its nice to think about.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.