Outpost and Resources Followup Q&A, 7/30/2013

Discussion in 'State of Decay News' started by Undead Sanya, Jul 30, 2013.

1. GamerGirl82

GamerGirl82 Here To Help

Food and materials are the two items I can't ever attain or keep. I have medicine and ammo out the wazoo, but those don't help when you need more food and need to upgrade.

BOWi likes this.
  2. What I want to know is if there is any grand plan by the mods to archive old, outdated articles like this since we are now upto Title Update 6 and these "FAQs" seem to be riddled with misinformation in accordance with the state of the game that we're actually playing nowadays.

Quite frankly, as a relative newcomer (nearly 100 hrs of gametime, but only about 2 months worth of ownership), this forum isn't the least bit friendly when threads like this are always near the tippy-top of the reading list--and it claims to have still relevant info.

fenrathjurath likes this.
  3. QMJS

QMJS Famous

Since the last post in this thread before yours was January 11, and the title of the post includes 7/30/2013, it should have been fairly clear that it is old. However, now that you actually posted in it... it is near the top of the list. It wasn't a problem before that.

Bob Crees likes this.

4. Right, okay, but that was my point is that this was at the top of the "news" forum category when it was last updated in January and more to the point that the information given in this Q&A has been antiquated by all of the Title Updates since this came out.

Maybe I'm just used to a more organized forum but aside from the passing-curiosity to read about what used to be true about the game, threads like this are no longer of any use to anyone. Why not tuck away all the "official" threads that no longer pertain to the game anymore?

5. Bob Crees

Bob Crees Famous

^^ You have contradicted yourself, as you say ' but aside from the passing-curiosity to read about what used to be true about the game'. Some people do like to read old posts, unfortunately many people then post something on a thread that is well out of date.

I have seen many posts on a Poll Thread, where the Poll closed months ago. That generates a few posts from new members to the Forum, then the thread disappears, until the next time. I am not sure I would like to see old threads 'Archived', with a read only, as then that stops a new individual from giving their view.

What I would like to see is a better Search Engine, so people could use that, before they post a Thread on a topic, that has been raised many times before.

6. I'm not necessarily saying ancient topics need to be "Read Only" and again, I'm only referring to these super-old threads about the game that are supposed to be pertinent info regarding the working mechanics in the game and official information from the Undead Labs specifically.

It's like the argument I got nowhere with arguing with a mod that the "General Discussion" category, which specifically says it's for on-topic discussion by users, is not the best place to post the only info about what the latest Title Update entails--especially when all the other TU articles are posted, more appropriately in the "News and FAQs" category. This whole site just feels disorganized to me and like it needs a de-cluttering.

I'm sure this must seem like an argument for the sake of argument for users who look at this forum and know what's outdated info and aren't fighting to figure out which articles still actually apply to gameplay.

fenrathjurath likes this.
  7. Undead Nicole

Undead Nicole Community Manager Staff Member

This is really a moot point and not worth the debate happening here. :)

Please move on.

SangesTheLurker and Bob Crees like this.
  8. that would be cool for the 50 cal, that gun is a beast, blows up armored zeds like pinatas

9. SinceDay1_Zack

SinceDay1_Zack Starting Off

Wait so a materials cache does

+3 -1 =2?

10. Felio

Felio Here To Help

(Infestations + home size) / 10 is seldom going to be a number greater than 1. It is never going to be 2.

If I have 17 facilities (8 outposts and 9 base slots filled) plus 1, that's 18. Why, then, am I still running a deficit with 7 construction outposts, rather than a daily surplus of 3?

11. OldDogF14

OldDogF14 Here To Help

Because its not a one-to-one correlation. The further you upgrade a base facility, the more it costs to maintain it - i.e. a med lab costs more materials to maintain when resource usage is calculated than a simple med tent does. I forget off-hand what the exact costs per facility upgrade are, but the system itself is designed to slowly drain your resources. The only sure way to generate a net income of materials is to set all of your outposts as construction materials outposts, and then never upgrade any base facilities past their most basic iteration.

12. Felio

Felio Here To Help

Oooooh, thank you.

That formula is bizarre though, isn't it? Most of it dedicated to deciding whether or not to add 1 to resource costs. I must be reading it incorrectly, but I can't see how.

Now I know the formula is wrong.

I just moved to the Savini house with six construction materials outposts. It comes with a bedroom, library, kitchen and watchtower, for a total of four facilities. Plus six outposts is 10 facilities. The outposts pull in 18 materials. My daily net gain should have been 8, but it was 2.

There would have to be 57 infestations for the formula to be correct, and there are zero.

I read the statement about there possibly being other contributing factors, but given the silliness of how it counts infestations and home size divided by ten (there would have to be more infestations than the game allows for home size to make any difference whatsoever), I think it is more likely the formula was not communicated here accurately, for whatever reason.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 20, 2017
    Bob Crees likes this.
  13. QMJS

QMJS Famous

The three parking spaces and the command center count as facilities. The watchtower there is automatically an upgraded (double) version, so it counts as 2. So, instead of 10, you have 15 facilities "points", assuming you haven't started building anything else.

15 + ((0+3)/10)) = 15.3
    18-15.3 = 2.7, which displays as 2 (whole numbers only, rounded down)

In an unmodified game at breakdown 99, there can be 80 infestations on the map. At level 1, there can be 6. Some are placed on the map nearly instantly. Very few are automatically revealed.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2017
    Bob Crees and Felio like this.
  14. Felio

Felio Here To Help

So I'm trying to figure out how self-sufficient the home sites can be. When I do things like this, I tend to do it on the forums or wikia so other can use it, since I'm doing it anyway.

Church: 5 facility cost, 3 spots available. 4 outposts for 8 materials.
    Kirkman: 6 facility cost, 4 spots available. 6 outposts for 12 materials.
    Farmhouse: 8 facility cost, 4 spots available. 6 outposts for 12 materials.
    Alamo: 7 facility cost, 3 spots available. 4 outposts for 8 materials.
    Savini: 9 facility cost, 3 spots available. 6 outposts for 12 materials.
    Warehouse: 10 facility cost (workshop is a machine shop upgrade, costing 3, yes?), 5 spots available. 8 outposts for 16 materials.
    Fairgrounds: 10 facility cost, 5 available. 8 outposts for 16 materials.

I noticed that preinstalled facilities cost materials whether you fix them up or not.

Generally add an extra 1 to daily materials drain. Large home size (4) plus 7 infestations divided by 10 would equal 1.1, apparently getting rounded up to 2 daily materials drain. Large home size with 17 infestations would get you to 2.1, rounded up to 3.

I could have sworn I read it only counted discovered or nearby infestations, but maybe that was for ammo usage.

Bob Crees likes this.
  15. QMJS

QMJS Famous

Only the display is rounded. The actual costs are exactly as the calculation works out to. As you mentioned, it is somewhat difficult to determine exactly because there may always be infestations you aren't aware of.

If you had 13 materials left, and it uses 12.1, that 0.9 remaining is rounded down and shows up as 0, but still exists as 0.9 in the stockpile.
    You can't do anything with the fraction, but over time (multiple daily resets) the fractions will add up, and you'll get an otherwise unexplained increase (if you are tracking it that closely to notice the 1 difference.)

Also:
    That is because they still exist as a facility, Variant.BuiltIn, which generally becomes Variant.Fixed after you repair it. Facilities under construction are also counted as a Variant.UnderConstruction.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2017
  16. Felio

Felio Here To Help

You must either do a lot of modding or just xml reading to figure his stuff out. :D

But um... I have six materials outposts, and I just checked and they all still have a materials cache in them. But the bonus report is only giving me 15 materials, not 18. Plenty of materials to support the outposts each day, too.

The only thing I can think of is that one of them is the warehouse across the street from Snyder's, and it has both indoor and outdoor resources. Any one of them flags the outpost for that resource type. But could it be only the indoor ones work for the bonus report?

Bob Crees likes this.
  17. QMJS

QMJS Famous

Both... (https://forums.undeadlabs.com/threads/mod-qmjss-extended-functions-2-01-yose-current-release.42464/)
    I've read every xml and lua file for the game many times, and it's been over three years since I started playing, and probably close to that that I have been modding it.

The bonus report has nothing to do with whether or not you left resources in an outpost. It is based on how long it has been between the last daily reset and the next login... if it is well over the normal time for the next daily reset, you'll get the bonus report, which is an extra day of outpost production without the extra day's costs. It essentially functions as a way for people who can't play much to have a little extra to keep their home running, instead of every time you start being out of everything.

The only reason to actually leave any is if you want to be able to switch to another outpost temporarily (to get a different resource, or to have one near where you are scavenging). For example, you can have one fuel and medicine outpost available because you left resources in them, but use the slot for a materials outpost most of the time, and switch if you get critically low on one of those.

There are a LOT of false assumptions people have made about this game, basically aggravated by the fact that there isn't a manual. Some of the worst offenders in terms of bad information floating around are the mercy shots, bonus report, and individual mood issues.