Patrick Poll #2: Should Cars Require Fuel?

Discussion in 'Polls' started by Patrick, Aug 13, 2013.

1. Cejao

Cejao Famous

Love that game, L4D2 is my shet

2. Doomen Gloom

Doomen Gloom Famous

Definitely make scavenging one of the most important thing you need to do, Don't come back empty handed.

Backpacker Lee and Cejao like this.
  3. Felio

Felio Here To Help

I would rather they just remove fuel as a resource.

Making us gas up cars would be less realistic. Most vehicles get what, 300 miles on a tank? More depending on how long you can run on empty? And the SOD map is what, two miles across, if that?

Sure, adding another layer to the game sounds interesting on the surface, but in practice... do you really want to have to scavenge gas on top of everything else, carry it to each car, and fuel it up? How often? If it is realistic, maybe once. How often would it be fun for you?

Keep in mind that if a player can run out of gas, the designer cannot create missions with the assumption the player has gas. So cars become much less useful.

Bob Crees likes this.
  4. Cejao

Cejao Famous

Hummers get like 10 miles to the gallon, which isn't alot.
    My aunt has one, she says she only gets 8 miles to the gallon in her H3 Hummer.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2017
  5. Felio

Felio Here To Help

It gets more than 10, but let's say it doesn't. Then its 32-gallon tank can take it 320 miles.

It isn't about MPG, it's about range. Most people will fill up when they get down to a quarter of a tank. Yeah, you might find the odd vehicle that was abandoned when it ran out of gas. But if it's a vehicle that was left where it was when its owner died, it's going to have a lot of range left.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2017
  6. Bob Crees

Bob Crees Famous

I think Mt Tanner to the Fairground is further than 2 miles?

I think having to worry about Fuel would make the game more realistic for the 'Survival' genre. Does your 5 Gallon petrol can go towards your vehicle, making petrol bombs or generator (If the latter is ever introduced).

At the moment when you find your 'favourite' vehicle, you can just keep driving around, the only real limit being your playing characters cardio, when it drops for having done too much.

7. Wouldn't change that much for me... Thought this was already in effect for current game... WELL that will be changing moving forward..
    " BEHOLD!! The power of the Duncecap that Noobs bring. "

Bob Crees likes this.
  8. OldDogF14

OldDogF14 Here To Help

The map is, IIRC, 4x4 kilometres, so sixteen square klicks, only a little over half to just under three-quarters is accessible. You'd have to be really trying, given the time limits in story mode (and even Breakdown), to run out of fuel in your car.

Bob Crees likes this.
  9. Geoff728

Geoff728 Got Your Back

Great post. I also think each character should have different driving skills. Some good drivers and some really bad drivers that could cost you lives and resources. You could better the driving skills by frequently driving with the character that needs their skills improved.

Bob Crees likes this.
  10. DJB204

DJB204 Famous

I thought fuel was confirmed as being in the game already?

I hope it is, fuel had little purpose in SoD1, and I'd prefer they give fuel more meaning in SoD2 rather then eliminating it as a resource all together.

The SoD series is about managing a community and its resources, but having unlimited fuel always felt off. I always felt that vehicles were suppose to be a luxury in a ZA, but they were almost limitless in SoD1. Easily fixed and always full of fuel, plus they were all over the map and never required and repairs or keys before we could drive off with them. They were too OP, just ask the hordes and infestations.

SoD2 will also be a multilayer/co-op game, so working together to get a single vehicle operational should be the focus. If all 4 players in a session can instantly drive any vehicle they see at anytime with no consequences such as resource consumption (fuel), then vehicles could be OP again. I personally think fuel consumption is a must, and the amount of vehicles should be limited.

Dbomb 12 and Bob Crees like this.
  11. Bob Crees

Bob Crees Famous

Now that is a good idea - having 'Driving' as a skill that can be increased.

Geoff728 and Cejao like this.
  12. Geoff728

Geoff728 Got Your Back

It would make us question taking a top fighter out on a risky mission if that good fighting character has poor driving skills. It could end badly.lol Imagine using Amelia Crasman and we find out she is an awful driver. She goes on a rescue mission loses control of the vehicle, it flips into a farm yard full of zombies. She is attacked by 2 hordes and a feral. She rolls out of the car with her health half gone from the crash. She ends up being torn apart by zed filth. All because she wrecked in the wrong spot. All because of her dreadful skills behind the wheel. Lol

Last edited: Jul 21, 2017
    Bob Crees likes this.
  13. Bob Crees

Bob Crees Famous

Yes exactly and could also have an impact on fuel (that's if using a vehicle and fuel, will feature in SoD2 ))

14. Geoff728

Geoff728 Got Your Back

Good point.

Bob Crees likes this.