PAX East '17 Interview with Gamespot

Discussion in 'News' started by Undead Nicole, Mar 10, 2017.

1. Undead Nicole

Undead Nicole Community Manager Staff Member

2. Doomen Gloom

Doomen Gloom Famous

I think I got this right 4 times the development team 4 times the size:D

Cejao, rebel36, Fabian907 and 2 others like this.
  3. DJB204

DJB204 Famous

This game will unify the entire community here. Players on both platforms can play with eachother.

Unfortunately for modders, this game is starting to look like it won't support mods.

4. Gmutant

Gmutant Here To Help

No more simulation, at least for offline or daily resource reset.

Cejao, rebel36, Doomen Gloom and 2 others like this.
  5. DeadK9Handler

DeadK9Handler Here To Help

My favorite part was "[PR person] It's something we'll talk about at E3." LOL

Cejao, rebel36, Doomen Gloom and 2 others like this.
  6. FallonMacSmore

FallonMacSmore Got Your Back

You know, I'm ok with this because it makes sense in this type of setting. If this were real life, which is kind of what this is just in video game form, the zombies wouldn't suddenly get harder because your bff came over and helped you loot houses for supplies. So it's cool that they want us to have fun with our friends and not be like "oh there's 4 of you now so the zombies are 4x harder or there will be more big'uns spawned".

Also I'm super glad that they are getting rid of the offline progression. I can't play everyday and it's especially annoying when I've not played for a few weeks and I come back to "So-and-so has killed themselves because they were depressed" while I was offline. Or suddenly everyone is "away from home" because the Moral dropped to 5% while I was offline, which is something that I can't control.

7. QMJS

QMJS Famous

Technically, the current game does not support mods either.

8. Thunder Ice

Thunder Ice Here To Help

That's more likely due to the fact that it's a 2GB arcade game that is literally out of space that was created in an outdated engine.

SoD2 is being built on the up-to-date Unreal Engine 4 with potentially as much space as Infinite Warfare. They could literally do everything they wanted and still have enough space for people to make mods up the ass.

I mean, they likely won't be adding mod support, but something like the GECK would probably help benefit UL in the future, especially when it comes to features or community support.

Cejao, Bob Crees, rebel36 and 3 others like this.
  9. LJay

LJay Got Your Back

"At some point we just decided, "Hey, you know what? Crazy idea. We should probably just build the game THAT PEOPLE ARE ASKING FOR." That was the design genesis for State of Decay 2"

Finally, a studio that listens to their fan base :D

Sailorwolf, Shatznr, Cejao and 8 others like this.
  10. nomotog

nomotog Got Your Back

I would bet it was mentioned before this, but removing the offline play is the best news I have seen. Hated that feature. It's the number one reason why I don't play SoD.

I also like the talk about doing other survival fantasy games I want to see what twists they have on the idea because well I am into the idea of SoD2 I am not really into the idea of a SoD3. I would rather see the core idea spun out into new places. My pitch, dinosaurs and cavemen.

Cejao, Doomen Gloom and GEO THUNDER like this.
  11. Twitter2530651.jpg the new ZedApocalypse Flag in SoD2!
    my new flag idea made yesterday before sleeping!

12. DJB204

DJB204 Famous

This is a Microsoft multiplayer game with cross-platform play, so what I'm saying is. Modding the game will get you banned.

Cejao and Doomen Gloom like this.
  13. QMJS

QMJS Famous

Not necessarily. It has been assumed in the past (since before the tech was actually released) that because of the cross-platform access, mods wouldn't be available. But, for roughly a year now, Microsoft has indeed allowed mods in UWP games. I think it is more likely that it will either require all players to have the same mods installed, or that you won't be able to connect or host a co-op session with mods installed. But in terms of the single player game, I don't think there will be much of an issue, and according to the article, it is a developer's decision to make... but I suppose that doesn't actually address games where Microsoft is the publisher.

Here's a few related quotes from a short article about it, but it really doesn't say a whole lot.

Microsoft's UWP will support some mods, but not all (http://www.pcgamer.com/microsofts-uwp-will-support-some-mods-but-not-all/)

"Phil Spencer announced at Microsoft's //Build/ 2016 conference earlier today that its Universal Windows Platform will support mods and overlays."

"Spencer referenced Steam Workshop as the model for how it'll work, which appears to suggest only developer-sanctioned mods will function in the environment."

"I would always try to find an endorsed path by the game creator to say, ‘here’s how we want people injecting code and modifications into the game’ and us supporting that, which we will go do."

"This basically means that, while developer-sanctioned mods (such as those allowed for Bethesda's ESO and Fallout games via Steam Workshop) will be fine"

At any rate, it is still premature to make any assumptions about it. There's just not enough information out there yet.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2017
    Doomen Gloom, Bob Crees and DJB204 like this.
  14. DJB204

DJB204 Famous

Well, I'll leave my previous statement as is until release. But I have strong feeling that come release I will be reviving this thread with "I told you so"

I'm all for mods. I play mods on PC and on Xbox One, but I've been an Xbox customer since the original console, and to my knowledge there has never been any authorized mod support on the console's multiplayer games. It's a violation of the TOS. Modding multiplayer games has always led to getting banned.

15. Bob Crees

Bob Crees Famous

If the Co-Op game is to be 'Cross Platform', then I cannot see how Mods would work or be allowed. But there should not be anything stopping someone modding a single player game?

16. QMJS

QMJS Famous

It could be one of two things, but I am not sure about how the UWP architecture works... haven't taken a close look at it yet. But, either both machines (XBoxOne and PC) can run the same code, or the process to port one to the other is fairly simple, sort of how the Fallout 4 mods are being done.

I am hoping that the single player game is moddable without much trouble. The coop stuff is something I will probably try, but isn't a big draw for me. On the other hand, with the time and resources they have for SOD2, it may be close enough to what I want without needing to be modded.

17. Takuro_Spirit

Takuro_Spirit Here To Help

While I'm all for modding single player games (I've dabbled in the past), asking for an online one to be moddable is asking for trouble. One of the main reasons I don't play anything online/multiplayer is because of modders and hackers and cheaters.

Ruins the experience, IMHO.

Doomen Gloom, DJB204 and Bob Crees like this.
  18. Darth_Necron

Darth_Necron Got Your Back

RTS games are a great example for this espcially the warhammer 40k dawn of war series seriously do not play online unless the host has a check box to allow cheats, mods, trainers etc etc turned off or your match will last about 20-30 seconds i know the lobbys are full of cheaters mostly

its rare to actually have a fair game one of the reasons i stopped playing it online

at least with command and conquer you had to have the same game build/updates mods etc or your games wouldnt sync which i preferred as yes i will admit i mod the hell out of sp mode but i prefer vanilla for mp as balance is crutial sure you miss the sp mods but i wouldnt have it any other way but you can guarentee somone out there will find a way to mod mp as thats just common place in todays gaming culture

Last edited: Mar 14, 2017
    Doomen Gloom, DJB204 and Bob Crees like this.
  19. Erudain

Erudain Here To Help

Civilization games handles it pretty well, for online multiplayer everyone has to have the same mods enabled to be aple to play together.
    In case you have more mods installed than the rest of them, then the game has an easy in-game interface to disable whatever extra mods you have, or all of them if you want to play a vanilla session.

Option B, is allowing for different saves to have 2 or more sessions saved.
    One for online playing with no mods and other for offline playing with mods.
    Example: you can have a saved character in BD lv7 without mods to play with friends or solo but without mods, and another save in BD 10 where your glock 22 is moded to look like a banana for offline gaming.

Doomen Gloom likes this.
  20. Hype

Cejao likes this.