Player vs NPC survivors

Discussion in 'Polls' started by Forger, Dec 15, 2013.

1. Yes.

2. No.

3. Maybe.

Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I honestly think that hostile survivors would be a great addition to the game.
    It would not only make the game more interesting but also more challenging.
    The survivors would carry guns and be out scavenging, they could also try to raid your base but also raid your neighbors too.
    When you kill the survivors they would drop rucksacks of random materials (Ammo, Fuel, Food, Etc.)
    The survivors can be found in groups of 1-3 survivors each of which are carrying either melee weapons or guns.
    The hostile survivors could surrender but you have a choice, you could let them, A-Let them join you. B-Kill them, or C-let them go.
    A- will add more survivors to switch to, but you would also have more mouths to feed which means more scavenging, and a higher risk of being killed.
    B- You can kill the survivors/bandits and loot their rucksacks but killing them would cost influence and morale.
    C- You could let them go and in result gain some influence.
  2. MattyDienhoff

MattyDienhoff Here To Help

I like your concept, it could be good, depending on how well it's executed. On the other hand I'm lukewarm on the idea for a few reasons. For one, the movement and shooting controls in the game, while fine for fighting melee-based foes, are a bit clumsy if you're going to be thrust into a shootout (which would be inevitable at some point if there were hostile survivors). That's probably not a big roadblock, just a thought.

More significantly, at this point I'm just plain weary of the focus on survivors fighting each other that plays out in almost every zombie apocalypse story under the sun. From Romero's movies (he loves the "humans are the real monsters" trope) to The Walking Dead, it seems like the 'survivors' in these stories spend more time fighting and massacring each other over petty bullshit than they do surviving or fighting zombies. I'm tired of it, so I was actually relieved to find that State of Decay doesn't have much of a focus on survivors fighting each other (except for the echoes of that in the Wilkersons' sub-plot).

That said, I'm still open to the idea, as long as the implementation is pretty subtle, so that it's not a big focus. I think hostile survivors should be a fairly rare (and appropriately severe) threat, so that it's a big deal when you encounter some, unlike STALKER, Fallout, or many other post-apoc games where there are more bandits than regular folks and killing a dozen of them a day is just routine pest control. In State of Decay, there are so few survivors of any stripe as it is, so hostile ones should be rarer still.

Actually, that gives me a couple of ideas. If hostile survivors were to be added to the game, they could become likely to appear only as resources become scarce. If much of the map has been scoured of resources (food, meds and ammo especially), it stands to reason that survivors might be willing to fight each other over it rather than go find some of their own someplace else. Likewise, if hostile survivors raiding your base was to become a thing, the likelihood of it could be determined by a combination of factors, like how many resources you have and how secure you are. I'm not sure how 'secure' would be determined though. Maybe number of outposts, number of armed survivors, amount of ammo, or perhaps your ratio of supplies to survivors. So, for instance, if you're flush with resources but don't have many people to defend them, raids would be more likely, but if you've only just got enough resources for your group size (lean and mean), the bandits would be unlikely to try anything.
    Jakeypake and Jayy323 like this.
  3. Byerly724

Byerly724 Here To Help

Active shoot outs would undermine the threat of the zombie, but subtle use of player vs npc survivors could work.

Have random events during simulations or like you get from journal events.
    Jakeypake likes this.
  4. Nokrahs

Nokrahs Got Your Back

this would add some flavor.
  5. CaptainAssassin

CaptainAssassin Here To Help

WhisperFire26 likes this.
  6. Oh, I did not know that. I just thought it would've been a good idea because the shoot outs would attract near by infected. Oh well, I just think it would've added a little spice to the game.
  7. doom pookie

doom pookie Starting Off

Personally, no, I don't want it. But most of the idea would work except allowing hostile survivors join you. Would you want someone who tried to kill you live with you? Also, it only takes like 4-6 bites from a zombie to get to no health and a jump from 6 feet does damage, so a bullet would be like an instant kill unless they make everything but freaks do less damage
  8. CTANKEP32

CTANKEP32 Starting Off

I think it's prolly the stuff of a DLC campaign, but it definately could be something that could happen in any zed apocolypse at anytime, imagine if the enclave system was a bit more in depth, meeting one could very well prove to be a double edged sword, maybe they are helpful and are just happy to be alive or on the other hand maybe they are just at one of their outposts and are part of a larger community much like your own, they may be friendly or they can be hostile for any number of reasons, did you reject them?, are resources running out?, do they want your base? do you want their base?, could it be that the battle for the Matherson RV is yet to be fought?.
    Last edited: Dec 23, 2013
  9. Paroni

Paroni Got Your Back

During the SOD basic campaign I was certain I would have to tango with the Wilkerson family at some stage. It was a little bit of a letdown actually that it never happened. If executed properly I would really like for it to be implemented. Just hope they could not 1 shot my survivors with headshots. While realistic that would suck pretty bad.
    Jakeypake and SPARE like this.
  10. Mcgroarty

Mcgroarty Starting Off

Want this?

Go play DayZ on a server with AI.
  11. Mcgroarty

Mcgroarty Starting Off

Pays to use the search option.
    SPARE likes this.
  12. Paroni

Paroni Got Your Back

I really hope that DayZ will become a good game. But at least the standalone which is in Alpha stage does not look all that appealing atm. Hopefully before full release it gets better but I am still quite doubtful.
    Jakeypake likes this.
  13. IrishDead

IrishDead Here To Help

I don't think it would really be a nice addition to the current game, but more so to a sequel or new IP of theirs. As far as costing influence and/or morale...I agree slightly with the morale part, but I think it should affect different survivors in a different way, and I think it should affect how the survivors view you (again differing with differnt survivors). Some would support it, while others would be against it. Kinda like it would add a bit of a political aspect to the game where pleasing some, would displease others.

Ideally, I'd love to see them take their time with the next game and refine it as much as possible (possibly taking 3-5 years developing it). The base concept is there already with State of Decay, and I'd like to see them as I said, refine the idea a lot more.
  14. Alan Gunderson

Alan Gunderson Here To Help

You're right that it would be great but the matter has been examined already to the point that people have stopped talking about it for a reason.

Sorry to be a dick but I'm sure you'd get a 1000 results if you searched for a thread discussing this.

Actually, if you have ideas for how it would work, feel free to make a thread for it, as the devs actually read those things.
    Last edited: Jan 23, 2018
    Jayy323 likes this.
  15. Jakeypake

Jakeypake Got Your Back

I really think this is something that could and would spice up the game, however I believe randomly getting shot to death on your favourite survivor would be really shitty, and thus would have to worked around. Regarding the MMO, I believe Player Vs NPC would prove much more beneficial, fun, and enjoyable than PvP elements of the game. Games such as: WarZ (or whatever the fuck it's called now), and DayZ have showcased the PvP elements, and although atmospheric, it works against everything State of Decay currently stands for (I understand the MMO and SoD will be a seperate entity, but we can assume they will have show signs of similiar craftmanship).
  16. It's been asked over and over again, but long argument short, it's not happening for State of Decay. Possibly in future UL titles, but not SoD.
    Vers likes this.
  17. Vin153

Vin153 Starting Off

I would love to see npc players and community argue with mine or other communities in the next SOD. Undeadlabs has a bright future with its partner ship with microsoft! I rather have SOD 2 with co-op and new features than a mmo, but thats just my opinion.
  18. GTigers55

GTigers55 Here To Help

Dead Island did this, and I didn't like it there so no reason to think I would on SoD. Maybe something like inner conflicts within the confines of your community however. Such as someone stealing or hoarding food for themselves. Have an option to ask them to leave, verbally warn them, or let them be.
  19. Undead Nicole

Undead Nicole Community Manager Staff Member

Just for clarification, this isn't going to happen in State of Decay.
    Steven R likes this.
  20. GTigers55

GTigers55 Here To Help

Everyone knows. We just feel the need to discuss it for some reason! ;)
    SPARE likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.