Punishment for killing other survivors?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Blitzify, Jun 29, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I was wondering if there will be any punishment for killing other survivors. Lets say you are getting overwhelmed while holding out with a few other survivors will killing one to make a distraction so you can run away effect how other survivors interact with you?
  2. Kodyack

Kodyack Starting Off

I could see an AI react differently depending on how far they were during the kill, the nature of the kill, and how long its been since the kill.
  3. I hope there isn't a "moral compass". Or a "honor bar". If they didn't see you kill him, you should have no penalty. Ofcourse, you will have a guilty consience later. ;)
  4. Kodyack

Kodyack Starting Off

Well if I use a gun or rather noisy implement of murder I can see an AI being slightly suspicious if they heard it.
  5. They can't be THAT suspicious if you're being attacked by a horde of zombies.
  6. I don't think there should be a penalty. You're doing everything you can to survive, so it ok to off on ai to continue escape like The Walking Dead tv series.
  7. There still should be a penalty, even if you just did it to survive. If people know that you'd to anything to survive even sacrificing other survivors they would be wary of you at the least and wouldn't trust you. So maybe the rest of your group would leave you behind or if they were good friends with the person they might attack you.
    But it should only be if someone actually saw it and told others.
  8. would be cool if you could gain notoriety among the survivors which would make people you find less likly to join you and if you go so far bad they would fear you or run from you and you could intern take them hostage and force them to build you home upgrades and so on.
  9. DariusG187

DariusG187 Starting Off

I think there should be a loyalty system in the game. For example if your crew isn't really loyal to you and you kill somebody while they witness it they should just leave you and if they're loyal to you loyalty should drop down and you would have to gain their trust again. Though that's probably not gonna be a feature since 2GB cap.
  10. If only, that could be a really cool feature.
  11. I would like to see it reflected in your appearance. Maybe not as big of a change as in DayZ where you get a complete skin revamp as a bandit, but something more subtle along those lines.
  12. That would sort of conflict with the player customisation a bit though. I didn't like that about Day Z, especially if you created a unique character you wanted to keep.

It's difficult to find a way of distinguishing the way a player might kill another on purpose, or whether it was in self defense. What if you're a good guy, but have had to fend off so many bandit-like survivors, but as a result the game gives you a bad rep?

I guess one remedy to this could be some sort of reflection analysis, where a few minutes after a player-vs-player conflict occurred, the game would ask a question or two on what happened and why. This would then determine how the player is "punished" or whether his reputation can be saved from the encounter.

Just an idea :)
  13. Dantron

Dantron Here To Help

Dantron states that the most obvious & immediate "punishment" would be the loss of the skills that the now dead survivor brought to your group. Other than that, as others have mentioned, if there are no witnesses, then perhaps the other NPCs would not react negatively. However, if there are witnesses, then their loyalty (as DariusG posted) would waver.
  14. I think that if there would be some kind of penalty that your example would be the best (so far). A reputation/loyalty or whatever system where if the other survivors knew about your rogue endeavors, they would be less likely to join your group or try to kill you themselves. It would bring a lot more to the table when it comes to making that decision of "We have x amount of food for y survivors.... should I just kill a few of them off to save more food for those that are actually useful?"
  15. I'd like to take a little bit from EVE in terms of loyalty. Best missions and equipment are only available to those who work with a certain group of individuals for an amount of type.
    If you're a new-comer, it would be unrealistic for someone to suddenly allow you access to their big weapons now, wouldn't it?
  16. I just don't hope other survivors magically know I silently killed a survivor 5 miles away from them in a dark alley.
  17. yeah I totally agree with this. I feel that if you want to be in a group lets say for example with a doctor. you should have to maybe help him get something some medical supplies or medicines in order to prove that you are even worth being around. If you can't help each other what's the point of being with each other.
  18. Love it, perfect. It's an important aspect to capture in a Zombie MMO. Survival.
  19. sounds good to me
  20. Cargot35

Cargot35 Starting Off

Agreed! If you have a group with a certain set of skills you need, you shouldn't want to kill anybody or anything like that. But if you do, you have to find out how to get those skills back, and the people in your group who now don't trust you need to be made friendly again. It's perfect.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.