Q&A - World of Class3 6/29/12

Discussion in 'State of Decay News' started by Undead Sanya, Jun 27, 2012.

1. No co-op? Won't that change a lot of things in game?

2. DariusG187

DariusG187 Starting Off

Thank you for this Q&A, Sanya, you're doing an amazing job! I'm not really that upset about no co-op on release because chances of me surviving are way bigger when I don't have to save my friend's ass all the time :D. Though co-op is always fun. Co-op aside, everything else is really amazing, I love the home/outpost feature because it's nice to set up a home where you can organize your shizz, barricading feature is cool too for tactical play when getting overrun, though furniture moving would be amazing. Imagine an intense moment, tons and tons of zombies outside overrunning you, you run into a building, shut the door, push down a closet onto the door as quick as you can, zombies are climbing through the windows, not enough bullets to kill them! You run up to the roof and jump from roof to roof to escape them. Wow I am way too hyped right now :D.

3. Dantron

Dantron Here To Help

Dantron thanks Sanya for the interesting information! :D

4. I'm really loving the news we are getting now. Although there is no co-op, I still am looking forward to this game. At first I had my doubts of this game flopping; but for there to be this much ambition, drive, determination, and hard work being put into this game that's only an arcade title, I have faith that Class 3 will revolutionize zombie games and set a new bar for video games. Keep up the work back at the lab!

-Best of wishes,
    Dustin

P.S. Thanks Sanya for putting my question up there :D (Savage Saint=Batman)

5. With each new Q&A, Class3 sounds better and better.

Keep up the good work. =)

6. ok i'm weighing in on the weapons durability seeing how none of the games i've played has gotten it right.
    1st: baseball bats, crowbars and anything simular should not have to be maintained. in real life a bat or a crowbar would last forever and deal lots of damage.
    2nd: anything with a blade should not have to be sharpend after only killing 10 zombies with it.
    3rd: guns! :) these are kind of difficult but i should'nt have to do any maintenance after only firing off 5-10 clips/mags. especially if its an ak-47. anything carbine based ar-15, m4/16 and so on does need more maintenance but not as much as most games require.
    these issues have bugged the hell out of me in games like dead island, dead rising, and the fallout series.

PS: welcome to the team! and keep up the great work!

Last edited: Jun 29, 2012
  7. ok i'm weighing in on the weapons duability seeing how none of the games i've played has gotten it right.
    1st: baseball bats, crowbars and anything simular should not have to be maintained. in real life a bat or a crowbar would last forever and deal lots of damage.
    2nd: anything with a blade should not have to be sharpend after only killing 10 zombies with it.
    3rd: guns! :) these are kind of difficult but i should'nt have to do any maintenance after only firing off 5-10 clips/mags. especially if its an ak-47. anything carbine based ar-15, m4/16 and so on does need more maintenance but not as much as most games require.
    these issues have bugged the hell out of me in games like dead island, dead rising, and the fallout series.

8. Mr McDillard

Mr McDillard Got Your Back

Wow, I can't tell you how nice it is to get a direct response from a member of the UL Team! No other game I've followed has had this kind of direct interface between the gamers and developers. I think that's why everyone got so desperate when the umbilical chord got cut a few months ago and we stopped getting new info! So nice to have you all back.

Anyway, follow up question (though I know you can't reply to every single 1), what did you mean by "there will be options?" As in, there will be a number of different homes to choose from? Or something more enigmatic? What I gathered was that we WILL need to find locations that already have some sort of perimeter protection in order to use as a home base, and we CANNOT make a location suitable for a home base by simply building a wall around it (and in fact we may not be able to build walls, period?).

Loving the way all of the strategic planning and mechanics have been thought out and integrated into the game. Sounds like this should make for some really interesting game play.

And finally, Sanya, we are all very aware that you don't exactly love the sight of mobile necrotic flesh, but last I checked, the UL office is covered in Zombie decor ... how do you make it through the day???? Blinders?

9. I'm kinda being torn in two directions at the moment. There's a lot of info in the Q&A about the higher level play i.e. once you get to the point where you're semi safe, you can do all this cool stuff like building vegetable patches and researching land mines etc. etc. all of which sounds awesome and I really love the idea of being able to upgrade the initial base I choose (though, I'm a little bummed you didn't let us pick any building and just say - "you don't have enough space for a lab... well, you picked it! move if you don't like it")

I am more than a little worried that this depth and longevity might be coming at the expense of the tension in the early game. One of the things I love about Day Z is that you wind up restarting the game a couple of times before your new found caution yields the necessary traction to get your character off the ground. Once I'd died a few times I realised that I was learning when to run, and where to run - lessons that paid dividends later in my play. I want the first couple of in-game hours to be very touch and go (this is the apocalypse after all!), by the skin of your teeth stuff. That's why I'd also like to be able to throw furniture against the doors and run out the back exit to get away. All of this makes for heart pounding player stories which really add to the immersion. My hope here is that UL will make the first 5-6 hours a pretty tough grind which might well threaten to frustrate a little. Trust in the fact that games which are a little tougher keep your attention a longer and reward so much more. Don't make it too easy to get through the first stages (remember spore - who actually WANTED to leave the pond stage? it was the best bit!). Surviving the first few hours is what will make the strategic element so rewarding. Please, be brave!

Yeh Coop's a bummer but I tend to play a lot of single player so I'm ok with being solo for a while. I'll be really sad if it doesn't turn coop at some point though. There's a MASSIVE difference between playing a coop game with a friend or two you enjoy spending time with, and playing an MMO with, a minority to be sure, of hardcore douche bags who go out of their way to make life miserable for others. I'm not an MMO player. I have a wife and a career and just can't dedicate the time required to an MMO to justify it. Please don't consider MMO as COOP unless we can decide who to share the world with.

On the story front, I'm also little antsy. This is the kind of game I would love to play again and again. It's got the kind of depth and flexibility which would keep me coming back for more, but having set missions and a single story makes this less fun imo. Ok, so the game mechanics change depending on whether I choose to build in place X or Y and there's a good deal of emergent game play tied to that decision. But, if the characters are always the same, and end result is always the same, the story becomes the single part of the game which is unchanging and starts to bore rather than entertain. If there are several endings, and game is very emergent then you've got something really special.

I know this sounds like a moan of a post but if you consider I really only have 3 gripes and pretty much LOVE everything else, from base building, resource economics, zomb-zomb death physics, weapons (thanks for not making dead island chainsaws of death - though on that note, dead island had throwable machetes and there was NOTHING more satisfying in any FPS than landing a machete in the face of the infected, only to hoik it back from his twitching corpse!!), including researchable land mines!! and outposts... all in all, colour me IMPRESSED!

10. Mr McDillard

Mr McDillard Got Your Back

I'd just like to weigh-in on the the vehicle fuel subject. It sounds like there might be some sort of general fuel meter to represent your group's available fuel resources, and as you build more, and use more electricity, etc. the general meter depletes until you add more fuel, by scavenging etc. If this is the case, then I could conceive of vehicle usage also depleting the same resource. That would be a very clever way of integrating resource management with fast travel!

However, as for not "running out of gas in the middle of nowhere", I personally think it would be AMAZING to run out of gas in the middle of nowhere! In fact I'm a little giddy just thinking about it. What a perfect zombie scenario that could create ... you end up having to take a detour on your way back from a scavenging mission, you get a little lost, the car dies, night falls, and the nearest refuge is a barn you passed .5 miles up the road. And of course there are zombies.

I totally understand that this sort of thing can't just be thrown into a game that is this far along, but I think it would be a great thing to consider for class 4, especially with the community aspect, where you could radio for help, and stand your ground until the cavalry arrives with new wheels. At the risk of using an overused word, it would be EPIC.

11. In response to weapon durability: If you are going for the realistic approach then I think there should be maintenance items in the game (a sharpener for knives/swords, and a cleaning rod/ gun lubricating oil to clean guns) after a day of fighting zombies and collecting resources you have fired your rifle a few times, same as I do with my gun after a day at the range the first thing you do when you get home is use your cleaning kit. this prevents damage to the gun. If someone were to neglect their gun it could take damage, and accuracy/damage could be reduced until they repair it. For the knives and swords, their sharpness level would decrease with use, and be replenished when the sharpener is used. The reason I suggest maintenance is because repairing stuff costs resources and time which is a pain, especially when it would require venturing out into danger to GET those resources.

12. I'm with Dillard on this one! In addition to creating real opportunities for unexpected experiences it's going to create tension. Let's face it, who's fault is it if you run out of the gas in the middle of nowhere? That's both a rhetorical question and a genuine one. This kind of situation is bound to happen, but mistakes cost lives and that kind of blunder is bound to cause ruptions (read: aggro for those of you not in the UK) within a group. Who's job was it to fill that tank up before we left? Genuine tension like this is what will make this game seriously worth playing (look at EVE; it's politics and intrigue are what make it a titan in the world of MMO's. It's a world, not a game).

Don't baby the player. If you force us to man up and deal with the consequences of our actions, Class 3 has the capacity to change how people think, both inside and outside the game.

13. Bturn

Bturn Starting Off

I'm happy that my question was answered :D I'm also happy about how the world is going to be like in Class 3 but I'm disapointed that they couldn't add cooperative in time. I hope they add Co-op in their first DLC.

14. What I think it should be for xbox and pc with cross play to play with your friend console gamers for class 4.

15. I really hope Class 4 is Xbox exclusive too, PS3 and PC users get far too much compared to us Xbox fans.. I mean, Day Z, Uncharted 3, Last of Us etcetc.

16. I think they stated early on they are committed to make an amazing Xbox360 title and to do that they weren't going to water down their resources and develop for other platforms.

17. With Microsoft as a publisher, I can guarantee that the PS3 won't see Class 3/4. I doubt that PC will get it because the two platforms are very different and will require a much larger team to develop the two at once.

I am extremely happy that this is on track to be an Xbox exclusive and I hope that it stays that way.

18. Demoniku22

Demoniku22 Starting Off

I Disagree, cuz I can assure you two weeks after release the forums will be flooded by PC user's complaining how the XBox is holding the game back, just like they do with every other game.

19. Although the co-op is what I wanted most, I think I must still have this game regardless! It still sounds like the best zombie survivor game out there to me.

20. foxhound400

foxhound400 Starting Off

hey i think my question was replyed to and mentioned =)

Hey i think a thans iin order, because my name was rick grimes back b4 the forms, my question about the buildingd you can use and stuff, e,g prisons, so erm thanks sonya =)