Quick and easy way to build Fame. (Not Influence.)

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Biker Steve, Nov 14, 2017.

1. Biker Steve

Biker Steve Got Your Back

Tired of draining Influence because you don't have enough Fame? Here you go...

Long time lurker, first time poster. I found a number of threads on multiple forums for (s-l-o-w-l-y) building fame, but never saw this mentioned:

Build a sleeping area. Takes 3 minutes and 5 building materials. Nets you 25 fame. Remove it.

Rinse and repeat.

I typically do this after I've fixed the RV on Breakdown, and usually end each level with 1500+ fame. With the larger bases, you can build two or more at a time.

Now you can build up your Influence to impressive levels, which is really important for inventory management. (Attached is a pic that shows that I have plenty of room to expand my Influence, so I can drop off scavenged weapons and whatnot without getting the Daily Influence limited by Fame message.)

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 15, 2017
  2. MrFish

MrFish Got Your Back

Interesting. I'll have to play around with that given that I just started breakdown. Would really help with the whole farming of artillery strikes and manufactured goods.

3. Bob Crees

Bob Crees Famous

It is much easier to loot buildings and drop items you find straight into an Enclaves Locker:)

SonnyJim likes this.
  4. Biker Steve

When you're done "building" fame, I recommend building two Munitions Shops in addition to the Machine Shop in Snyder's. Choose which guns you want to use, and manufacture as much ammo for them as you can, along with machined suppressors, steel pipe bombs, and chemical incendiaries. I also loaded up on potent stims using the Medical Lab. Clean out your storage locker to the bare necessities. The later levels will thank you for it. Hint - any painkiller less than Codeine really isn't worth stockpiling. Give them to the other enclaves. For guns, I think that .22, 9mm, and .357 are not powerful enough, and shotguns (regular ones anyway) and revolvers are too loud. Unload them. The only ammo I stockpile is .40, .44, .45, 5.56, 7.62, incendiary shotgun shells, and grenades for launchers. For the guns that fire them, try to balance weight and capacity. Get rid of rifles that are too heavy, and lower capacity handguns if something is available in higher capacities. (IE, I get rid of all the 1911s, as there are G20s that hold twice as much ammo in .45.) If you don't use powerhouses, stick with the CLEO 3 shot grenade launcher, and drop the 6 shot model.

Right, but you need the Fame to hold onto that Influence earned. I figured everyone knew how to build Influence up (either by depositing into other Enclaves or disarming your NPCs), but I hadn't seen anything on quickly increasing Fame.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 15, 2017
    SonnyJim, Jeama Bowers and Bob Crees like this.
  5. Bob Crees

Bob Crees Famous

Ah Yes I miss read your post. It does seem a good way to increase 'Fame':)

SonnyJim likes this.
  6. Biker Steve

No worries, I figured that's what happened. :)

Also, a quick caveat. If you have a larger population, be sure to leave the sleeping areas in place before quitting. I tore them down and started rebuilding them, knowing they'd be there when I restarted. Well, I got hit by sleep deprivation in the few minutes the sleeping areas weren't there. :p

Attached Files:

SonnyJim and Bob Crees like this.
  7. MrFish

MrFish Got Your Back

I did the same thing when I first read it. Thought "well duh, you're just swapping 5 Materials for 25 influence, big whoop." Then I realized it was fame and thought it was worth a try.

8. Biker Steve

My fault for trying to be funny with song lyrics in the thread title rather than clear. Unfortunately, I can't edit the thread title, but I did edit the first post a bit to clarify.

9. QMJS

QMJS Famous

Up on the top right (next to the first post) is a little dropdown named Thread Tools... you can change it there, for any thread you create.

10. Biker Steve

Done, thanks! I think I'm used to another forum where thread tools was available *after* you hit the edit button on the first post. :)

11. QMJS

QMJS Famous

I think it was well over a year before I ever noticed it.

12. Takuro_Spirit

Takuro_Spirit Here To Help

Cool! Never thought of that. Now if only I could figure out a way to not lose influence taking something out of the locker (say, a melee that's worth 90) and putting it back (same weapon is only worth 75 going back in) unless that's tied to Fame then nevermind, I never paid attention to fame really :D

SonnyJim, Jeama Bowers and Bob Crees like this.
  13. Bob Crees

Bob Crees Famous

When I have been on a looting spree, I unload all my unwanted items into the vehicles that I have parked at my Home Base or nearby. Once the vehicles are full, I do several trips to nearby Enclave(s) and unload. Therefore I do no loose Influence, as I have never placed them in my Locker in the first.

14. Biker Steve

I do the same thing. On my last BD level, I had 6 SUVs parked around Snyder's, and 5 Normas parked in the parking lot of S&B across the street. I made a *huge* amount of ammo in the earlier levels though, so I do have limited slots available in my locker, so I do have to clean it out often. Most rucksack drops will add things to the locker that you may not want/need. (Materials will give you some blunt or heavy weapons, when all of my main survivors use the Cutting Machine Blade, Fuel rucksacks give you petrol bombs when I use chemical incendiaries, Meds give you Aspirin/Tylenol when I wouldn't use anything weaker than Codeine or Tussin, etc.)

This is when having a high level of Fame is crucial, as I want to make less trips. :D

15. Takuro_Spirit

With my way of flying from level to level I never have the time. I do drop off a few things here and there at enclaves though.
    My main issue is with influence boosting on the next BD level. I.e., taking out a backpack full of guns, moving to the next level, then depositing them to start off a fresh level with a nice bit of influence.

OR, because my locker is so dang full, if I want to take out a gun for a new survivor, or make a mistake and grab the wrong weapon, I get back less that what it cost to take it out.

16. Biker Steve

Build that fame up, get a bunch of influence, and clean that locker out. You'll be able to find things quicker, and have less junk cluttering it up.

I have 8 melee weapons, 62 guns, 15 slots being taken up in the misc. tab (with most of them approaching 255 items), and the rest is ammo. I probably have about 10 slots free. :eek:

SonnyJim, Takuro_Spirit and Bob Crees like this.
  17. Takuro_Spirit

My issue is, whenever I do free up a slot, someone puts a dang 2X4 in it.

18. Bob Crees

Bob Crees Famous

Yes that is so annoying.

SonnyJim likes this.
  19. CaptainAssassin

CaptainAssassin Here To Help

95 slots accounted for... and the rest is ammo? Sounds like you have too much ammo.

20. Biker Steve

Whenever you drop off a rucksack, you sometimes get the items that made up the bundle. So you'll get petrol bombs with fuel, blunt weapons with materials, etc.

I'm ready for the next 74 levels.

Takuro_Spirit, SonnyJim and Bob Crees like this.