Renaming survivors?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Byerly724, Nov 17, 2017.

1. Byerly724

Byerly724 Here To Help

This was always a wish of mine was to be able to alter survivors names so that could role play with characters that look like people I know.

Is there any chance of this?

( sorry if it’s been answered, I’m just returning to these forums as I’m rebuying SoD 1 for Xbox1 today)

Bob Crees likes this.
  2. MrFish

MrFish Got Your Back

Depends on what the mod scene looks like, though it's pretty easy to do in SoD 1. Having an actual rename option in game is probably not something anyone is looking in to, although it COULD be interesting as far as how names worked in Zombieland or just a general "Welcome to the group. Your new name is Mittens. Stay alive long enough and maybe you'll get a better one."

3. Byerly724

Byerly724 Here To Help

Before my Xbox 360 stopped working I honestly tried a couple of game save editors to try to change it but couldn’t get them to work. There was easy ways on PC from what I hear though

Bob Crees likes this.
  4. Furie

Furie Here To Help

While I can't see renaming being a feature (it's pretty weird in game terms) I love the idea of a nickname editor. Even if there's just (just he says) a thousand or so names to choose from, that ability would give us that little bit of extra personalisation that makes all the difference.

5. Sailorwolf

Sailorwolf Famous

That would be cool if they added it....maybe make it where once you become friends with a survivor you can give them a nickname.

6. DJB204

DJB204 Famous

This is a good idea. I like games that offer this as an option. I'm currently playing the escapists, and I named all the other inmates and prison guards after my family lol. The scenarios that play out are hilarious because I automatically picture my family members when i interact with their ingame counterparts lol. I find that the experience is heightened and that I care for these other characters more then I do in other games because I automatically link my ingame relationships with my real life relationships. I think this would bring relationships in SoD2 to a personal level.

7. Byerly724

Byerly724 Here To Help

This is my feelings also. Imagine the drama by breakdown and having to choose family members...

8. Alan Gunderson

Alan Gunderson Here To Help

Likely mod material, otherwise any character customization of any kind is a confirmed no.

I don't see this being something that's added as playing with who you get is a core theme and being able to change a character's name just doesn't fit that bill.

If anything this probably detracts the personal connection overall as new survivors can just be renamed "Best Girl (or whatever)" to replace who gets lost and you go on with your business, or worse, "Cannon Fodder #1". You get attached to a name, not the survivor. "I won't be doing that", you tell yourself. However how many new games on the same game have you started and given yourself the same name every time? Probably a lot.

So overall, immersion breaking. I don't see the opposite happening at all in retrospect.

9. YojimBeau

YojimBeau Famous

I agree and in a nut shell...
    This idea detracts from the concept of who you meet is who you get. Personalizing and personification has never been a part of the SOD experience, it has always been about building a community of random survivors and even something as simple as renaming them could dispel that magic.

I vote "no".

10. QMJS

QMJS Famous

It has been a while, but I seem to remember one of the twitch streams where they were asking for additional potential nicknames. I believe the point was that the characters would have a regular name and a nickname based on their personality and traits. Anyone remember any more details about that?

11. Sailorwolf

Sailorwolf Famous

I disagree being able to nickname survivors who are my friends would not take away immersion in the game. It would add to in most cases because I already give nicks to my survivors it aids in story building when I play BD . Even have a notebook in which names and nicks are kept so I have tons to use :D Yes I'll use the same name over again if I restart a game but I change names when I replay a game.

My brother agrees with you but wants nicknames added so he can rename his survivors Zed Happy Meal but then he wants the game to be lone wolf lol

Bob Crees and Vers like this.
  12. Vers

Vers Here To Help

If I remember correctly, nicknames are already planned for SoD II. And they're tied to the character themselves. So I don't think it's going to happen where we edit their names at all.

But... it would be pretty cool if someone killed 1,000 zombies, so we got a chance to call them "Punisher". Though they never gave any hint toward titles making it into the game when they discussed this topic earlier in development.

Bob Crees, GEO THUNDER and QMJS like this.
  13. MrFish

MrFish Got Your Back

I would disagree. Modding aside, customizing characters is a big part of the game with choices in skill selection and weapon specialization. You end up attached to characters because you spend the time to make make them worthwhile. Having a naming option adds another level of finding a character in the wild and making them yours. Characters in SoD1 are only barely random, given that they are a collection of like 150 templates with fixed or not fixed names.

On the one hand, building your enclave from the randoms you find is really cool, but on the other, customization can be really fun too. Kind of depends on how the game is even set up to begin with. From what I've read as far as there being thousands of potential traits, I get the impression SoD2 survivors will be more of a series of rolls that randomly build a character as opposed to the list-based system we currently have. With that level of randomness, it would be nice to have a few characters that are customized to your preferences as opposed to a sea of randoms.

Bob Crees likes this.