State of Decay YOSE guide for Base Game, Breakdown, and Lifeline. (WIP)

Discussion in 'State of Decay Guides' started by e5futter, Apr 28, 2015.

1. e5futter

e5futter Here To Help

*Gives ya a heart pie*

Last edited: May 20, 2015
    ThatChristmaskid likes this.
  2. GoldenLight

GoldenLight Here To Help

One of the first games to have that ability was Perfect Dark on Nintendo 64.

Cejao likes this.
  3. Athan_Untapped

Athan_Untapped Got Your Back

The phrase bullet time comes from the Max Payne series though. The skill in State of Decay is, of course, Focus Aim.

4. Dutchdynomite

Dutchdynomite Here To Help

I second that bullet time comes from Max Payne. I still remember the fight, in the lobby of the office building from The Matrix, that you got after you beat the game. That fight was so badass.

Cejao likes this.
  5. e5futter

e5futter Here To Help

Max Payne is one the most well know games with bullet time feature but it wasn't what originated BT. A game that already comes to mind is Unreal Tournament. Bullet Time comes in a variety of different names, Focus Aim/Time being one of them. Also, the shooting part of the skills guide I already gave it the game's name of focus aim. :)

Cejao likes this.
  6. Dutchdynomite

I was just commenting that the actual term 'Bullet Time' comes from Max Payne, not neccessarily the system of slowing down time. At least Max Payne is the first time I can recollect hearing or seeing the term. I never played Unreal Tournament nor do I know the camparative years the two games came out to know which came first, the Unreal or the Payne.

7. e5futter

e5futter Here To Help

Oh I cpletely understa

Cejao likes this.
  8. Dutchdynomite

Is that English?

e5futter likes this.
  9. e5futter

e5futter Here To Help

Sorry about that. Tablet died and I'm still learning it. :(

I understand what you mean. I was just on a BT ranty rant cause it's one of my most favorite mechanics in gaming. :oops:

Cejao and Dutchdynomite like this.
  10. Athan_Untapped

Yeah, no, hundreds of games use the mechanic. It's only the phrase 'Bullet Time' that Max Payne owns entirely. Not to mention that , to me at least, Max Payne's Bullet time is unique in that it not only slows down time to line up shots, but also involves dramatic action movements as well, such as jumping and diving to avoid enemy bullets.

I've loved Max Payne since the first game, but still one of my most epic moments I can remember from that series is from 3, the most recent installment. In on of the levels where you're attacked in some basement bar, I remember (vividly) entering bullet time and diving to the left. I shot a couple enemies but my bullet time ran out rather fast, but of course the dive continued. I had entered the jump with no idea what was actually in the area I was diving towards, and it just so happened to be a pool table; thanks to the awesome mechanics in Max Payne 3, I landed perfectly on my side atop the pool table, and continued to shoot while the little light hung above me. It was awesome.

11. e5futter

e5futter Here To Help

Bullet Time is actually not owned by Max Payne. Warner Brothers owns the Bullet Time name. They've owned it since 2005 for use of their game Matrix Online. Before that though, Max Payne did use the words bullet time. Before that, Matrix used it in the original script, Hard Boiled, along with other Jon Woo movies used bullet time, but it wasn't named bullet time, it was named Tequila Time.

In 1997 MDK had Bullet time in one of it's training modes.
    In 1998 Unreal Tournament had it as a feature.

Other examples of bullet time are

FEAR: Reflex Time
    Fallout 3: VATS
    Fallout: New Vegas: VATS, Turbo.
    Skyrim: Slow Time
    Mirror's Edge: Concentration Time
    Killing Floor: Zed Time
    Singularity: Focus Time
    State of Decay: Focus Aim
    Stranglehold: Tequila Time

It's also called Haste, Adrenalin, Hell time, and many more.
    I am a fan of Max Payne, loved the series ever since release and I can say that Max Payne definitely perfected Bullet time, especially in the Fall of Max Payne. But it wasn't the original game to have it and it doesn't own the term. What I'm getting at is bullet time has many other different names, and comes in many other different forms. Max Payne just used the actual name bullet time.

ThatChristmaskid likes this.
  12. HeatherLaRue

HeatherLaRue Got Your Back

Just because it is my other favorite game: deadeye in Red Dead Redemption.

Genious, EreWeGo and e5futter like this.
  13. Genious

Genious Here To Help

A suggestion o your guide on combat:

Rolling into zombies.

It works on sleepers, sitters, ferals and pretty much anything that can be interrupted without exploding or ripping you in half.

'tis glorious.

Cejao and e5futter like this.
  14. Athan_Untapped

@Genious yeah, that's always been my tip too. Combat rolls take a bit of stamina, but they help a ton. It's the only way I've found to reliably counter a feral's leap attack.

Genious and e5futter like this.
  15. HeatherLaRue

HeatherLaRue Got Your Back

This is true in general, except that you don't actually have to roll to evade a feral. Just wait till they leap, then take one step to the side (I know I keep saying this, it's my pet obsession, but it is true and has gotten me to YOSE BD11 without losing a single character).

Cejao and e5futter like this.
  16. e5futter

e5futter Here To Help

Editing and adding the rolling as part of the kills for the zeds.

Also: Lifeline Survival Guide is up!

QuarantineRoad and Genious like this.
  17. Genious

Genious Here To Help

Yaaay, I'm helping!!

Just as a note, for Ferals (no autocorrect, ferals not Gerald!!), you don't even have to "dodge" them. You can roll into them just like any normal leaping zombie. XD

It also works to get Ferals off friendly survivors and to break a zombie's bite-hold on your buddies too. Which is especially useful when things really hit the fan, you're up shit creek without a boat and the survivor you're dragging around belongs to an Enclave you didn't plan on pissing off.

Not that I would know, of course. Much too much of a genius for THAT kind of mistake. ;)

18. Hello Everybody,
    I had gurubani asking me for a mercy shot and i refused to do it...well, later on she disappeared...she commited suicide!
    Have a nice Day/night/game. ,-)

Cejao likes this.
  19. Genious

Genious Here To Help

@e5futter: I saw your avatar's face as I roared down the highways of Lifeline, realized you were haunting my game because I've been using your guide all day trying to understand what the hell was I supposed to do with outposts when hordes magically appeared on the other side of Danforth.

I studied your map pretty closely for the outpost locations and finally got them all (I think). I never got an achievement for it (sad), but having more markers are always nice. Though your base on the far left is marked as a food outpost when its a gas station (so mine was fuel-- I panicked for a little bit). Not a big deal.

Thank you for covering the basics!

... Now please stop haunting my game. :(

20. e5futter

e5futter Here To Help

I'll post a screen of just the military outposts. There's two extra on my map from upgrading Sat-comms. Sorry about that. :oops: