Strange lag / game 'slowing' every two seconds [SOLVED]

Discussion in 'For PC Players Only' started by Kurgyn, Sep 6, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Kurgyn

Kurgyn Got Your Back

I have 1,600 hours in SoD and 300 in YOSE on multiple machines and devices. Recently I installed YOSE on my new 2017 Surface Pro (Windows 10 / i7 / Intel Iris Plus 640 / 8gb RAM / 256gb SSD) and I've been experiencing strange lag I've never seen before. I was hoping since it should theoretically surpass the minimum specs it would run fine, but no matter what spec or resolution I set, the same type of lag occurs in game; it seems to 'slow' every two seconds like something is rendering or loading in the background. I know the Surface Pro isn't the best setup, but I've seen several users of outdated Surface Pros run SoD with no real lag and with consistent 30fps at least, when their Surface has half the processing / GPU power mine has. It doesn't seem like conventional lag; when I'm running for example, it's like I'm going in slow motion every 2 seconds, then normal for 2 seconds, then slow motion for 2 seconds, then normal for 2 seconds, consistently. The FPS remains consistent, but the game world itself slows down. I'm only using about 30% of my available CPU and RAM.

I would think it's because it can't handle it, but there is no more additional lag at the highest resolution and highest graphics settings than the lowest resolution and graphics settings, which makes me feel like the problem isn't the hardware. When indoors or moving the camera top-down, it seems to stop.

I've tried several mods that optimize minimal specs and disable shadows , SSAO, etc., running in windowed mode, updating Intel graphics drivers, but it makes absolutely no difference. The exact same amount of 'slowing' / lag occurs. It's very strange to me that it'll run at like 60fps while the game world intermittently seems to slow down every couple seconds.

Any ideas?

Del44ZSlayer and Bob Crees like this.
  2. Undead Nicole

Undead Nicole Community Manager Staff Member

I read your post on the Steam forums and started looking around. I'm glad you posted here as well to keep this fresh in the noggin. Frankly, I think that it's a matter of cooling. I had a Surface Pro that got really hot. The game is a beast with CPU and it's possible that your system is working so hard that your cooling system is lagging? I know that doesn't make traditional sense, but it's honestly the only thing I can think of. It's also possible that the game isn't optimized for the newer Intel onboard GPU. That doesn't make sense either, but the game is a few years old now and it wasn't optimized for the DX12 cards.

3. Kurgyn

Kurgyn Got Your Back

Interesting. Shouldn't the lag start once it heats up though? It can be nice and cool for the first couple minutes yet the lag is still there. As far as optimization goes, is there any way to get it to work correctly with newer DX12 integrated GPUs?

4. Undead Nicole

I know. I did admit that it didn't make sense.

Unfortunately we've got 1 build machine buried under someone's desk that may or may not work properly. There won't be any further development on YOSE. :( However, if you'll post your dxdiag, I'll summon in some amazing players who know more about PCs than I do.

@YojimBeau and @QMJS

5. Kurgyn

Kurgyn Got Your Back

Haha, funny you mention QMJS. He's a SoD modding phenomenon.

I'll get it posted soon.

6. Kurgyn

Kurgyn Got Your Back

It's extremely odd to me that when looking straight down with the camera while running around or driving, the game runs so incredibly smooth that there's screen tearing and I have to turn vsync on...

7. Kurgyn

Kurgyn Got Your Back

DxDiag is attached.

Also, I just tried running vanilla SoD (non-YOSE) Breakdown;
    ran at 1920x1080 with ultra settings; no lag whatsoever, and my Surface was just as hot as it was with YOSE.

Attached Files:

8. YojimBeau

YojimBeau Famous

Gonna start off with tablets =/= PCs.. I'd not consider myself very knowledgeable when it comes to a Surface, other than understanding the individual components. Heck, even then, I'm not up to speed on the Iris, but it's still an Intel "graphics solution" (for what that's worth).

Truth be told, I'd have to be hands on to offer anything more than a shot in the dark.

Things to consider:
    Bloatware, (if it still exists on this device) use msconfig to remove all bloat and do a clean reboot.
    Roll back to an older driver, sometimes they actually work better (especially with 'older' software like YOSE).

Sorry to be unhelpful, but I can't say that I'm a fan of gaming with anything less than a 40lb tower, so...yeah. Sorry.

9. QMJS

QMJS Famous

I don't see a whole lot to point to right off the bat, so I'll have to take a look in more depth later today. But, from the description the symptoms seem to have something to do with the increased draw distance in YOSE.

Try this first- Shutdown Steam and start it again as an administrator, then start the game normally.

I think that on touchscreen-enabled devices, Steam also automatically runs in Big Picture mode? You might want to try to override that. It has caused some problems for some people.

XzerothreeX and Bob Crees like this.
  10. Kurgyn

Kurgyn Got Your Back

I don't run in big picture mode. I've tried running steam as admin and YOSE as admin and compatibility mode (Win 7, 8) in several combinations to no avail. I do feel like it has something to do with draw distance maybe. But it's definitely something added or changed in YOSE from the original that is a problem.

I don't usually use tablets or laptops. They're a absolute waste of money in my own opinion as far as gaming potential goes. My PC specs are FX-8350, 16gb RAM, EVGA 1080 FTW, 500gb Samsung EVO SSD; its no surprise YOSE and everything else runs flawlessly on it. However, recently I've had to switch to a tablet (and no exceptions) at my office at work instead of my desktop, and as a result I went out and got the most capable tablet I know of. And it's shocking what you're able to run with it's i7 and the integrated Iris graphics plus 640- GTA V, Rainbow 6 Siege, etc. My surface pro is strictly for gaming at work.

I was just amazed that SoD:YOSE of all games is what I can't get to work correctly.

11. QMJS

QMJS Famous

Ok, no guarantees for any of these but possibilities. I did some checking, and stuttering seems to be a common issue with the Surface Pro 3 and 4 models. It is odd, but most people seem to report it as an audio issue, and almost always say something along the lines of "most programs work fine except this one".

Some of the suggestions I found for that that corrected the problems for some people:

Video drivers- The Intel drivers interfere with the brightness settings for the screen hardware. Try resetting the auto-dimming settings, and make it one step below full brightness.

Sound drivers- Update Realtek drivers for sound.

Power management- make sure that the CPU isn't being throttled.

If up to date with the content update, try Windows-G while in game and test out the game mode to see if that helps by isolating the memory in use.

Clearing the internal caches:
    Step 1:
    Swipe in from the right and tap or click Settings, tap or click Power, and then tap or click Shut down to shut down Surface. If you can’t shut down Surface normally, press and hold the power button on your Surface for 30 seconds.
    Step 2:
    After Surface turns off, press and hold volume-up button and the power button on your Surface at the same time for at least 15 seconds, and then release both.
    The screen may flash the Surface logo, but continue holding the buttons down for at least 15 seconds.
    Step 3:
    After you release the buttons, wait 10 seconds.
    Step 4:
    Press and release the power button again to turn your Surface back on.

Let us know if any of these work.

12. Undead Nicole

@QMJS You're a hero. Thank you.

13. QMJS

QMJS Famous

Nicole, this one appears to be something to suggest to anyone with Windows 10 that is having problems:
    It basically tries to prevent other processes from interfering with the memory in use by a game. That could alleviate some of the 'pushy' windows defender/antivirus issues. I had heard of it but not really any specifics, so it may not be particularly widely known.

14. Kurgyn

Kurgyn Got Your Back

Okay, update:

Video drivers: Tried resetting / disabling auto-dimming and making one step below full brightness; no change.

Sound drivers: Tried updating audio drivers, tried disabling audio device in device manager; no change.

Power management: Everything is set to performance instead of battery life; tried running with brightness all the way down and a fan on the back, pretty sure no throttling was occurring at least for the first couple minutes of gameplay; no change.

Game mode: Did enable game mode, which wasn't enabled previously; also disabled game DVR and such; no change.

Clearing internal caches: Done, but no change.

Some extra things I've tried: Running in compatibility mode (Windows 7, 8); setting process priority to "Realtime"; running Steam as admin; running SoD as admin; disabling full screen optimization; disabling override high DPI scaling; testing SoD in all resolutions and all graphics settings; testing with V-sync on and off; testing with all sound set to 0 and from stereo to 5.1; tested SoD in window mode; set Intel graphics panel settings to force fullscreen / scaling to maintain SP aspect ratio (3:2).

I'm not sure if it helps, but the 'slowing' starts as soon as the SoD logo loading screen starts. The barbed wire circle perfectly replicates the in-game occurrence of slow, then fast, then slow, then fast.
    To support the theory of it being a rendering problem: as soon as the game loads, destructible items like mailboxes and signs, along with cars and such, take a lot longer than usual to appear. Also, the lag seems to completely disappear when the camera is facing the edge of the map (where the cliffs are). As long as I look at the cliffs, the game runs perfectly smooth.

This is pretty unrelated, and I know the performance of one game has nothing to do with the performance of another, but I just tried running Rainbow Six Siege on roughly the same settings as SoD and had a pretty flawless 60fps.. As far as the slowing issue with SoD goes, I haven't seen it in any other games I've tested on this 2017 SP.

15. chikawowwow

chikawowwow Here To Help

Have you tried running in windowed mode?

I'm not particularly familiar with the Surface Pros but I would see an integrated GPU being a problem. Especially if both the CPU & GPU processes are both using the same core.

16. Kurgyn

Kurgyn Got Your Back

See "Some extra things I've tried:" up above. I have tried running in window mode, no change.

I know many aren't familiar with Surface Pro, but the newest 2017 model like mine with the i7 and Iris 640 has phenomenal potential, despite being integrated graphics. I have yet to come across something other than SoD that I have problems running. And in the case of SoD: YOSE, it is very playable; just extremely bothersome for me.

I'm pretty sure the Intel HD 4xxx they have listed as the minimum req for SoD is way below the performance of the next-gen Iris integrated graphics like the 640.

I'm fairly certain the performance of this SP is not the prime issue with the game. I feel it's something to do with the game engine or being unoptimized for DX12 and/or Windows 10. Especially because it's not exactly a drop in frame rate but rather the game engine itself 'slowing' every other second. It's almost like you're using Focus Aim every other second. The game goes in somewhat slow motion, then speeds up real fast to catch up, then goes in slow motion, then speeds up again. Just like it does when you're entering the town of Marshall on a super-rig regardless of its specs; but it is all the time and everywhere.

17. chikawowwow

chikawowwow Here To Help

Same issue if you start a new game & without using mods?

18. Kurgyn

Kurgyn Got Your Back

Yes. Sorry, I should've noted that. I've reinstalled three times, started new games with fresh installs several times and tried traveling to Marshall, Spencer's Mill, and Mt. Tanner to check for any differences, tried QMJS's mod (what I traditionally play with), tried some shadow / SSAO disabling mods, tried another 'minimum spec optimization' mod.

I wish I had a way to try disabling YOSE-specific features one at a time to figure out why it's happening on YOSE and not original SoD..

19. Undead Nicole

do you have vcredist 12 installed? I swear that one thing causes so many issues.

20. chikawowwow

chikawowwow Here To Help

Have a look at something like this. Just a collection of different user.cfg commands.