Strange lag / game 'slowing' every two seconds [SOLVED]

Discussion in 'For PC Players Only' started by Kurgyn, Sep 6, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Kurgyn

Kurgyn Got Your Back

Well, thank you for your help.
    How can I unpack the textures?

Also, I tried the "MaxViewDist=5" in a user.cfg placed in the SoD folder next to the .exe, but it doesn't seem to be doing anything. Am I doing that right?

Last edited: Sep 8, 2017
    XzerothreeX and Bob Crees like this.
  2. Kurgyn

Kurgyn Got Your Back

I think this all has something to do with throttling. The back of my Surface is getting hotter with YOSE than any other game. I'm going to try to limit the CPU usage to prevent it from overheating.

3. Kurgyn

Kurgyn Got Your Back

*****BREAKTHROUGH*****

After initial testing, I believe I have finally resolved the issue.

After noticing my SP running hotter with YOSE than any other game, I decided to look in to it.
    It seems SoD:YOSE, unlike the original, possibly due to lack of optimization for Win10/DX12/or SP, is putting ridiculous amounts of stress on the hardware.
    I believe that my CPU/GPU are being put under enormous stress and overheating quite fast; almost as soon as the game loads. This in turn causes the CPU to throttle; a lot. To battle this, I went in to the registry to enable advanced power options. After enabling the additional options, I was able to reduce the maximum amount of CPU usage; capping the CPU to, for example, 75%, would in turn prevent it from running so hot that it would throttle down to unacceptable speeds. Implementing an exterior cooling apparatus such as a USB fan could probably net the same overall goal without limiting the CPU, but it seems to be worth it; cutting the CPU down to 75% is an excellent payout as it turns out: the CPU and GPU are still more than qualified to run the game at 75% of their potential, while simultaneously preventing severe overheating, and, as a result, overkill throttling down to abysmal speeds.

It is a compromise that seems to have remedied this rather unique issue.
    SoD:YOSE is now running flawlessly and my SP is keeping nice and cool.

TL;DR
    SoD is forcing my system to get unnecessarily hot and throttle down to horrid speeds. Forcing 75% max usage cut down the heat and eliminates the need for such throttling.

Thank you @QMJS, @Undead Nicole , @YojimBeau , and @chikawowwow for your assistance. It turned out to be a combination of software and hardware issues, and a simple fix. Sorry for the undue research into what the issue was; it's my first i7 Surface Pro so I'm a newb to these kinds of issues. I feel pretty dumb for overlooking such an obvious issue on my end.
    I hope anyone else trying to run SoD on their Surface Pro comes across this and looks into cooling their machine or limiting their CPU. It'll probably be beneficial for other games as well.

Edit 6:45 P.M. CST: SHOT A FERAL IN THA FAYCE, yasssss

Last edited: Sep 8, 2017
  4. Bob Crees

Bob Crees Famous

@Kurgyn - It's good to see that you have persevered with this and the game is now working for you:)

I am sure others will find this useful:)

LiNanMian1984, XzerothreeX and Kurgyn like this.
  5. Kurgyn

Kurgyn Got Your Back

Never give up! ;)
    Thanks!

6. QMJS

QMJS Famous

Excellent. Now, have fun with it.

XzerothreeX, Kurgyn and Bob Crees like this.
  7. Kid Kayole

Kid Kayole Here To Help

As an Xbox player I obviously don't suffer with issues such as these but I've been following this thread closely, hoping for a resolution. It's been great to see everyone chipping in ideas to try and get to the bottom of it, and things like this are one of the many reasons why I'm such a big fan of this little community we've got here!

8. Undead Nicole

Undead Nicole Community Manager Staff Member

This is amazing news! Thank you so much for sticking it out and figuring it out. :) Hopefully this will help future players. :)

LiNanMian1984 and Kid Kayole like this.
  9. Kurgyn

Kurgyn Got Your Back

FYI, if anyone else having problems running SoD:YOSE on their surface pro comes across this thread, I've now found that implementing an external cooling solution (USB fan >=65 CFM; Arctic Breeze, Thermaltake mobile fan 12) on the back of their surface will allow you to avoid limiting your CPU and disabling the turbo boost. As long as you keep it cool it won't throttle down to 0.8 ghz; you can let it run at it's full potential and play SoD above minimal settings/resolution at better frame rates.

10. LiNanMian1984

LiNanMian1984 Here To Help

Trying to see if this might help with minor slow downs and speed ups that I am having as well. I read that you remedied your situation.

I get as far as control pannel and I go looking for advanced power options... and entirely can not find it at all.

I then have to go back to the beginning and go looking for it again. Done this a couple times now... found it at last. I wish I had Dantron's ability to multitask.

Bob Crees likes this.
  11. LiNanMian1984

LiNanMian1984 Here To Help

This issues and the the resulting work around work on even weaker PC's to speed them up a bit.

I lost my CPU and my Nvidia GPU both when my laptop burnt out. This issue was minor for me, but i knew about it. lowering the cpu to 75% worked well.

Undead Nicole and Bob Crees like this.
  12. Kurgyn

Kurgyn Got Your Back

You have to do the whole regedit process to change CS_enabled from 1 to 0. This is only on Surface as far as I know. This will enable the advanced power options that are normally hidden. You can use google to search for the registry path. I don't remember it off the top of my head.

But more importantly, as far as SoD on the Microsoft Surface goes, instead of limiting CPU power to keep it from throttling, you can instead implement an external cooling solution to keep the CPU turboboost (which you will definitely want to do). I use an Arctic Breeze desk fan centered over the CPU location on the back of my surface and it helps IMMENSELY with overheating and throttling. Now it doesn't overheat or throttle and my CPU can handle 2x the speed. I can even play Escape from Tarkov and Rainbow 6 siege on my 2017 i7 surface pro very well with the fan on the back.

LiNanMian1984 and Bob Crees like this.