Survivors always 'Away From Home'

Discussion in 'State of Decay Bugs' started by Stinkyfish98, Oct 9, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Summary: More than half of my survivors are 'Away From Home' at one time. At the Farm Homesite, I had 18 population. 11 of that 18 were 'Away From Home' while another 2 were on a mission. Fully leveled Ed ended up dieing after fending off 3 or 4 hordes on his own. At least he went out with a bang. I've also noticed that no one is really manning the Watchtower. This could be due to no one actually being home. I can't walk out the front door without having at least 2 or 3 zeds waiting for me, and while this was only a minor nuisance before it was kind of a put out to lose Ed.

Frequency: 65% of the time I'm at my home base at least 6 or more survivors are 'Away From Home'

Steps to reproduce:

1: I couldn't tell ya.

Observed Results: Ed exploding while 3 hordes bore down on my completely unguarded base.

Expected Results: Ed to be joined by 3 or 4 other survivors in repelling the attacks.

Note: I have not called for any scavengers since the start of this issue. Also. The 2 other survivors that were with Ed just kinda sat inside peering out the window. While at first it was amusing it just kinda annoys me now that they don't do anything.

I'm not really sure if this is a bug or some kind of game mechanic I'm just missing, but an explanation would be wonderful. Thanks.
  2. babylon

babylon Starting Off

I'm getting this as well - most of them "away from home" or "on a mission" all the time. Hard to find people to swap my tired guys out with, 99% of time there is only one person to swap out with, and nobody mans the watchtower. Often some poor tired guy is assigned to man the watchtower, or even if it's an ok survivor, he's found skulking round the back and nowhere near the tower. I'm like "yay finally found someone to swap my tired guy out with" then realise the one guy at base is supposed to be on the watchtower :rolleyes: One of my group has been away for days now and hasn't come back once. I really want to take this one out and suicide her, so this continued absence is annoying.
    Last edited: Oct 9, 2013
  3. Normally, when it says they're (Away from home), It's because they're waiting for you.
    If you have a mission to kill a special zombie like a Feral or Armored, they are over there waiting for you.
    But then, it's still that extra 8 that are missing for who knows what reason.
  4. babylon

babylon Starting Off

It's not that, because no missions are showing up on map. I do those as soon as I see them. The guys are just mysteriously gone.
  5. Could always drive around until you find one of them being attacked by a horde or stuck at a wall; then save them from that predicament.
  6. babylon

babylon Starting Off

No I just want them to fix the bug.
  7. What will you do in the mean time? Sit there and let the others die? I'd love to have run running over hordes in the Camero. ^_^
  8. CaptainAssassin

CaptainAssassin Here To Help

'Away From Home' doesn't prevent you from switching over to them...

Just open your journal, place the cursor over a friend, and the option "Switch To" will be available along the left side of the journal (only works on friends). The game will then teleport the selected survivor back to home base, now under your control. If you're having issues with zeds entering your base, the watchtower's Snipe Zombies command will help secure the perimeter. Outposts with planted traps will also help prevent hordes from approaching/attacking your base.
  9. babylon

babylon Starting Off

Thanks for that, never noticed this before. Goodbyeee Gracie ;)

Still a bug having them all "away from home" with no missions needing to be done though.
  10. CaptainAssassin

CaptainAssassin Here To Help

Considering the rendering limitations of the game currently (8 vehicle limit / joyride), maybe there's a limit to how many survivors can be in one place too.
  11. babylon

babylon Starting Off

They should increase the limit for PCs, the limit is only there for the weakest link - consoles.

Also I can't see the limit being as low as three or four people on home base site (including myself, the alleged lookout on watchtower duty, and Lily), which is what this bug is causing.
  12. OldDogF14

OldDogF14 Here To Help

No, it's not a bug. When a survivor gets hit with the "away from home" tag, it means that the game is getting ready to give you a mission - "ally in trouble," "feral/bloater/Big 'Un/armoured zombie hunt," or "clear infestation," for example - for that individual. Just wait, and you'll see something like that ping.
  13. babylon

babylon Starting Off

Yet as I said, they are not "about to give a mission". In one case I had one survivor away for REAL TIME days, not a peep out of them.

I always do the missions.

It's a bug.
    mystyk likes this.
  14. OldDogF14

OldDogF14 Here To Help

"On a mission" or "away from home"? There is a bug, especially with one mission in particular, that will take survivors away forever. But "on a mission" is a story-generated event, and "away from home" is a random event. You can not do anything about the former, but with the latter, all you have to do is switch to that survivor and the game automatically returns them to your base, aborting the quest.
  15. babylon

babylon Starting Off

But there are no quests showing on map, with 95% of all survivors "away from home" or "on a mission".

16. on the PC Version i have encountered several same issues too

mostly its like everyoe isnt "at home" at one day, but two or three restarts fix this issue...
    the watchtower is always empty in my game
  17. Julia_Faye

Julia_Faye Famous

There can only be so many missions at one time. It's annoying I agree but it's not a bug. It's been like that since the beginning, before any patches. You can always switch to "away from home" survivors to bring them home, but they or 6 others will leave again once you turn your back. I'm just hoping Breakdown cuts back on that a little bit. I get that it's a game and they want you to always have something to do but I'd rather have the option to keep majority of people home. If they did something productive I would understand but they just get into trouble constantly with no benefits whatsoever.
  18. babylon

babylon Starting Off

No it's definitely a bug. ALL but Lily and the guy on lookout (who isn't even manning his post), and if I'm lucky one other guy who is probably tired is at base, while all others are "away from home" or "on a mission".

Today in another game, which isn't as bad as the last game I played for getting this bug, even Pastor William was listed as "on a mission", while he was sick with Black Fever.

19. The good pastor knows he is on his last leg and he has but one more thing he needs to do before he leaves this earth and that is to find some BACON, but because there is no bacon in this game he will never come home.
  20. Karstedt

Karstedt Got Your Back

Better survivor management would be nice, maybe in a sequel. I think at the least you should be able to manually limit how many people can go on missions at one time (of course, people in a poor mood may not abide). I have just started breakdown and I couldn't give my poor random starting psychopath a break, even when I got two other people to swap, one was always on mission and the other tired. I actually had two of my 3 down to -%80 stamina (the other -%40) before getting a 4th... then things got a little better.

Being able to recall or switch to people who run out to missions would help too.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.