Survivors still dying offline when 'missing'

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by TitusMaxThong, Feb 10, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TitusMaxThong

TitusMaxThong Got Your Back

I've had this happen twice to me on Breakdown playthroughs.

The first time was on an unmodded version of the game on Breakdown level 12. I had Erik Tan run off an go missing somewhere WELL inside the safe zone of my outposts, heck it was a grenade's throw from my home base.

I was about to go grab him when something came up irl. I quit the game. when I log back on in about 30 minutes he's dead.

Same thing happened in another (modded) playthrough of breakdown. The car hero goes missing at the very start of a new breakdown stage. Im about to go get him, rl pops up. log off. log back on, and he's dead.

I'm fine with the perma death system if I'm the one stupid enough to get my heroes killed. but having the game killing off my max-level heroes while I have no control over the system feels really retarded to me.

Del44ZSlayer likes this.
  2. KatArus

KatArus Got Your Back

While it is stupid indeed for survivors who killed 1000+ zombies and are packing top gear to run away like pussies, I don't get why you didn't just set the game on pause if you plan to get back to it soon.

3. TitusMaxThong

at the risk of sounding snarky, you know, because rl is unpredictable like that and there are massive thunderstorms that can wipe out electrical systems in the part of the world I live in

Del44ZSlayer likes this.
  4. Undead Nicole

Undead Nicole Community Manager Staff Member

Hi Titus, I'm afraid to say that your friends aren't safe in Breakdown. We only have that no friends die while you're offline rule in the Vanilla game.

Del44ZSlayer and CTANKEP32 like this.
  5. GTigers55

GTigers55 Here To Help

Can't ever get off if someone's missing. Doesn't matter where they are, they are still zed food. Tough luck though having to get off on a spot like that...

Del44ZSlayer likes this.
  6. TitusMaxThong

Hi Nicole thanks for your reply. Can't say I'm particularly fond of that system, but if that's the system that's the system I guess.

*grumblegrumble*

Del44ZSlayer and Niah Trujillo like this.
  7. GTigers55

GTigers55 Here To Help

Also, like Kat said above, just pause it if you wont be gone too long.

Del44ZSlayer likes this.
  8. TitusMaxThong

the last time I did that a lightning bolt from the heavens exploded my computer. the point is that I think it's silly that the game should punished me for having rl take precedence. It's unrealistic to assume that I will know exactly how long I will be away from the computer and should plan my schedule around the very random occurance of a survivor going missing

9. GTigers55

GTigers55 Here To Help

In the end, it sucks but remember its just a game! Have fun with it and try your best to enjoy it. Just pretend he left your base and stepped on a mine at one of your outposts! ;)

10. TitusMaxThong

11. GTigers55

GTigers55 Here To Help

Hey, realistically those traps would be killing more humans than zeds probably.
    EDIT: Hope I didn't offend you, just trying to help you cope with your loss. ;)

12. Redstar

Redstar Got Your Back

Mind if I ask why?
    I just think that it is completely unfair for your characters to die, just because you have a life outside of the game. This guy said he was only gone for 30 minutes and seems like turning it off was the intelligent thing to do, what with the storms and lifes unpredictability.
    What about people that only play casually? I know people who usually only play on weekends, so it's like they would be punished for not playing the game all the time.
    My best friend said this is the reason he is not going to buy the game.
    The first night I had breakdown, a survivor died when the xbox was off. Just one night and I'd already lost a hero because I had to sleep...

It hasn't happened to me in a while now but it's always a concern when I turn the game off. I of course try to make sure everything is ok but sometimes you just have to turn it off when real life happens.

13. Andius

Andius Starting Off

In my experience only the "missing person" missions will cause a char to die.

Look : a call is coming in " We lost a friend out there " - it is the highest priority ! So if you dont look after them, they are Z food.
    There is no " Yeah, just hang on i have to get this rucksack back to base "

I like this gamemechanic

VerdantSF and GTigers55 like this.
  14. Redstar

Redstar Got Your Back

No one said that's the problem.
    It's explained in the title of the thread, as well as in the original post, that the issue is when missing people die while the game isn't on, so you can't prevent it.

15. GTigers55

GTigers55 Here To Help

RL will interfere sometimes, I understand that. BUT the game is not "punishing" you guys. The game was designed that if you get off with a missing person they are highly likely to die as a consequence, because realistically if someones missing for a day or so, they are probably dead.

Missing people should die because of the passing of SoD days during the time your off. I've had the same thing happen to me to a decent character. It sucked but then instead of tossing your others to the hordes build them up because after all this IS a COMMUNITY GAME.

EDIT: Its also why you should have a COMMUNITY full of good useful characters rather than a few select elites.
    PS~Not trying to be rude, just being brutally honest.

16. Hardfighter7

Hardfighter7 Here To Help

and this is why it was removed from vanilla and the traits system lost all matter. it isn't punishing you but itis kinda thing. if you leave someone missing without going to find them they will die, the zombie apocalypse waits for no one your group is either capable or it isn't depending on which one the sim will calculate moral level and whatnot and determine who will die and who will live. in vanilla on the first day i got the game 2 members were dead, 1 or 2 were sick and several people were hurt during the sim thanks to having a psychopath in my group who thought'd be fun to shoot up my base so i fed her sorry ass to the zeds *evil laugh and grin here*.

there's a soft point where you can log off and noones missing use that time to log off and come back when your up for it agian. #1 rule (*besides having lotsz and lots of cardio) is NEVER LEAVE ANYONE MISSING WHEN YOU LOG OFF.

sorry for your loss tho but you can get them back when you progress a level (unlike in vanilla) so count your blessings.

P.S the ones that died was Marcus and a medic guy think his name was Ben so yeah....

17. Redstar

Redstar Got Your Back

I do build them all up and avoid hordes when I can while on foot, especially now that I'm on level 8 and attracting more zombies is really easy. I don't know why you're assuming I need to be told to do that, though. And it has nothing to do with missing survivors.

I wasn't meaning "punish" literally, it's just like that, because if you stop playing when someones missing, you suffor for it... even if it was out of your control. Say the power suddenly went out, you have work to go to, friends to see etc.

Of course I don't want to leave anyone missing when I stop playing but sometimes you don't have a choice or you just don't want to play anymore (and you shouldn't HAVE to). That's the whole problem!
    You shouldn't have to lose a precious character just because you have something to do, other than play this game. How do you not see that?

When someone goes missing and, for whatever reason, you turn the game off (especially if you have to, due to responsibilities) and while you're gone, that characters dies... you had no control over it. There was nothing the player could do to prevent it. Please, tell me how on Earth that is supposed to acceptable?

18. KatArus

KatArus Got Your Back

Life is not fair. Devs build the game the way they see fit and, while some of their concepts and choises are weird or bad, the game is pretty solid. You're just too used to games where you have a protagonist or a party (those dudes you load into RV). In SoD the only way to LOSE is to get all your 'friend' survivors killed which is pretty difficult since there is a literally unlimited number of survivors in the game and skill caps are very low, so losing them is mostly a sentimental drawback. While silly, it can be refreshing because after 10-15 hours into the game you'll only lose survivors if you act reckless or careless. Game chooses who runs away randomly so think of it like it's a random death by accident.

If you can't get over it (like I couldn't get over my beautiful army medic/tech/braggart chick dieing like this *sob*) you can set your device's time back to the time you last played so offline simulation wouldn't start (starting the game overwrites save, do it before starting the game or backup savegame regularly (do it regardless, it's still buggy, my save got messed up 2 times in my 60 hours playthroughs). The person will still be missing and if both of rescue missions haven't timed out yet, the game will spawn you a rescue mission. Keep in mind, it's still buggy (or by design, duh) so eventually missions stop spawning in Breakdown levels, so if it's the case, nothing can be done at all except for reading all of your survivor's stats via Cheat Engine excluding the 'missing' state and overwriting one of your unwanted survs with missing one after he/she dies. Manually resetting 'missing' state to 'at home' doesn't work for some reason, probably due to game already thinking that surv is dead.

19. Hardfighter7

Hardfighter7 Here To Help

i don't see it because it doesn't bother me. i liked tthe mechanic in vanilla version like that and actually embraced the fuck out of it (very rarely do you see the mechanic in the game where the game continues while offline and depending on how you leave your group bad shit can/will happen). sometimes life is cruel this game points that out very clearly and i grieve with you on that but just turn the clock backwards to when you last played the game and it won't happen. either way tho your gonna have to deal with it sooner or later as losing an important character is a loss it's counted as a "minor setback" by most. i understand life can sometimes get in the way but generally i just pause the game (if it's short enough for it) instead of shutting down the game and/or make sure everything is fine at home and shut it down before anything bad happens. it's acceptable in the terms of persistant online world in which case (i've said this time and time agian and i'll say it agian) *ahem* the zombie apocalypse waits for no one just like it would in real life (which this game prides itself on with perma death and the old traits effecting sim things) you leave your group in bad shape or leave someone missing (despite what you have to do in the real world) your gonna suffer the consequnces of your actions. In which case it's better in breakdown because you can get them back via enclaves or radio calls so agian count your blessings.

Andius and e5futter like this.
  20. TitusMaxThong

Okay I just had it happen again, and frankly, to put it politely, it's complete and utter nonsense.

I had an hour in the middle of my day today, in which I decided to dedicate to my breakdown play through. Just as I'm about to log off because I have a meeting to rush off to, one of my max level heroes goes missing. I have no choice but to log off because of rl. And when I log back on, he's dead, and I can't even find his corpse to retrieve the machine gun and bucket loads of ammo he had. It's as if he just got deleted from my game.

Call it a gameplay feature or whatever but it's fucking insane to rob a player of all their achievements because of some game mechanic. I don't want to have to constantly worry that I'm going to lose survivors whom I've invested hours into just because rl calls and I only have a brief window of time to play.

To Nicole, if you read this, I politely ask that the team revise their stance on this. I'm behind you guys every step of the way in your journey with this game and beyond, but his mechanic is a real slap to the face.

Ps and to the wise cracks out there, please don't give me that 'you could just pause' or 'lol it's a game' or it's a simulation . I play this to have fun, and having achievements I've worked hard on robbed like this is utter bullcrap

Thank you
    Titus

Redstar likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.