The best homebase possible?

Discussion in 'Polls' started by Tsewe, May 9, 2015.

?
  1. A school

2. A farm

3. A (small) airport

4. A (small) hospital

5. A (somewhat big) church

6. A jail/prison

7. A stadium

8. A manor

9. Other (please write down your idea!)

10. A warehouse

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Tsewe

Tsewe Here To Help

What do you guys consider as an awesome homebase in a zombie universe? You can choose up to 2 answers.

SoD homebases are cool, but not all of them are quite useful/practical, while I believe none of them ar really "badass" (except maybe the truck warehouse). You know, the big last badass homebase you can have access later on in the game, building a fortress.

If you select "Other", please post your suggestion!

This is mainly to give our dear developpers some homebases ideas :)

Last edited: Oct 4, 2016
  2. A prison would be very good, as would a small hospital (though that would be harder to defend)

A farm would be good as it is out of the way from all the violence, and you could grow your own food.

A church seems like a bad idea, a lot of people would look towards church and congregate there during the black death, only hastening its spreading.

I would like a prison (though it makes no sence in trumbell valley) personally. Very easy to guard and has most facilities necessary for survival

Cejao, Lukebazz91 and Tsewe like this.
  3. Primus

Primus Starting Off

Given your answers I believe you're talking about 'what if' scenario, nothing to do with the game?

Out of all your suggestions prison seems to work the best since its built to keep those inside - inside; therefore keeps those on the outside - outside as well. But my perfect type of base would definitely be a - pyramid like structure with terraces. You live inside it, but outside, on the terraces you could farm,... Height advantage for defense both human and zed alike (+few modifications like minimal walls on each terrace level to provide cover,...). Or just plain old medieval castle, that could work as well, heh.
    [​IMG]

Genious, Cejao and Lukebazz91 like this.
  4. Tsewe

Tsewe Here To Help

I guess you're right, wasn't the Machu Pichu built just before a Z apocalypse anyway? :)

I am talking in general, but also for an ingame scenario. Who knows, we could give UL some neat ideas!

A castle is a sweet idea, never thought about it.

Last edited: May 9, 2015
  5. Greyhound501

Greyhound501 Here To Help

I would say a docked aircraft carrier or a docked ship would be a great place to survive for one only a few ways on and off and if it is still able to go to sea you can cast off and leave also plenty of space

CoreWorld and rebel36 like this.
  6. JPG619

JPG619 Starting Off

I think the jail and the farm would be the best

Jail already has things like watch towers, barb wire fences and that stuff to keep things safe from zombies

Farm you can grow your own food and have animals to eat and or produce food like Chickens for eggs. However there could be chances to be over run by zombies since it wide open unless you build a strong fence around the property.

Geoff728, rebel36 and Tsewe like this.
  7. Jeanna_Q

Jeanna_Q Here To Help

Jails/Prisons have come up many times in the past and we have all noticed one major problem with those. They would almost always be filled to the brim with zombies because guards are not likely to release prisoners. Then if it did manage to survive you would likely not be allowed inside, and really would you want to share a space with some, possibly very dangerous prisoners?

Genious and Tsewe like this.
  8. Tsewe

Tsewe Here To Help

Yep, very good point.

And about the farm, I agree building a fence would be a top priority.
    However the cons are you're probably very far away from places worth scavenging (as it is in soD). You would need to rely a lot upon cars and/or horses.

9. Biggles

Biggles Here To Help

Either a farm, orrrrr

The USS Cobia docked in Manitowoc, Wisconsin. Its a WW2 Gato class submarine docked in the harbor. As long as you secure the deck and know someone who can captain the ship, you can basically roam the great lakes. You don't even have to go under water, just get below deck and button up. If I can't reach the sub, then I would probably go to an island in one of the Great Lakes. If that is not possible, then I would go to one of several bug out locations I have in my town here in Tennessee.

Also, I just checked that the diesel engines, radio, and Radar still work on the Cobia. It basically has all the materials one needs to survive, except for food and water. That must be brought along or fished. It also might be a good idea to set up a solar still on it so you can filter out the salt from the lake water and again, salt will probably become a commodity in the ZA. There is a huge bunkroom too, as well as officer's quarters. All in all, its a great, mobile base, but it requires people with knowledge on how to operate it.

Last edited by a moderator: May 10, 2015
  10. OldDogF14

OldDogF14 Here To Help

^ Salt . . . in a freshwater lake? o_O

rebel36 likes this.
  11. Biggles

Biggles Here To Help

Oh, I just realized that, sorry. Regardless, you should still boil, purify, and clean the water. There is salt in the water, however. There is 0.01 pounds of salt per cubic foot of water in Lake Michigan.

12. OldDogF14

OldDogF14 Here To Help

Mostly from Milwaukee, one would presume . . . they keep floating their garbage and sewage down to us every time it rains. :mad: But there are still parts of the lake you can drink straight out of. Oh, well, I suppose it's just karma's revenge for us reversing the flow of the Chicago River and sending all of our garbage and sewage to the Mississippi River . . .

13. Biggles

Biggles Here To Help

Yeah, ton of shit washes up down here in TN. We even got a Manatee from Florida once.

14. cleio81

cleio81 Starting Off

I would absolutely love a castle! Especially one with a small village built into the exterior walls. That would be so much fun! But for the realism of the game I would say the prison. Everyone always forgets how large a prison yard actually is. Lots of room for farming.

Backpacker Lee and Tsewe like this.
  15. Seta

Seta Got Your Back

That might make things easier if a lot of them are behind bars, that means you could have your group deal with them in burst rather than getting swarmed by all at once.

16. L0rd Shogun

L0rd Shogun Got Your Back

16 shipping containers.
    stacked 2 high, and 2 x 2 placement into a square shape.

The steel is very sturdy, 2 stacked on top of each other would be too high for even a feral to jump over.
    You could cut out gun windows.
    And then you would have the inside of the square to grow food and get some sun light, gather rain water, etc.

17. Tsewe

Tsewe Here To Help

Interesting.
    So how would you ease its access (go out/enter easily), assuming you would live inside those on top? You'd still need to go scavening from time to time.
    Place/remove a ladder?

18. L0rd Shogun

L0rd Shogun Got Your Back

Ladders on the inside. Cut out holes in the upper level floor, as many as wanted, to move up and down.

Once placed, you would weld each container together, then cut out the inside walls that weren't needed. basically having 4 long hallways. (per top and bottom)
    The containers have doors on the ends, so you would pick one or two, on the ground level, and use those as entrances, then weld the other shut.

19. Seta

Seta Got Your Back

Why'd you limit it to a small hospital, a large one would be fantastic if you could clear it out as long as you had enough people to defend the perimeter.

Think about it, who would want to try to mess with a community that large and it'd be a great center for trying to put the world back together instead of just trying to survive. Chances are it'd be a long time before you felt guilty because you had to turn someone away because of lack of room.

20. Blackthorne

Blackthorne Here To Help

*grins* my mates that work in the CBD area of Adelaide and I already have a planned area for a base for when the ZA hits; the RiAus Science Exchange on Exchange Place.

http://www.weekendnotes.com/im/001/01/riaus-science-exchange-fringe-festival-adelaide-fe11.jpg

That place is an armchair castle enthusiast/survivalist's dream ;) and in the middle of the city. We could lock the place, down, have plenty of room for people, narrow street areas that we could barricade...

... and I'll shut up now before I get carried away :p

So it'll be that for a workday, or the missus and I zip up to the outlaw-*ahem* I mean in-law's farm(s) up at Burra; the zeds wouldn't be bothered even trying to get there...

Not that it'd matter much; as soon as the virus realised that it had landed on our shores it'd curl up and die instead of having to deal with the local flora and fauna :cool: