The best homebase possible?

Discussion in 'Polls' started by Tsewe, May 9, 2015.

?
  1. A school

2. A farm

3. A (small) airport

4. A (small) hospital

5. A (somewhat big) church

6. A jail/prison

7. A stadium

8. A manor

9. Other (please write down your idea!)

10. A warehouse

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Dan Dan the Man

Dan Dan the Man Got Your Back

Missile silo. Tiered construction designed for a nuclear blast. Huge underground space built to house big ass weapons of mass destruction. Also would have a massive store of supplies.

Bob Crees and Cejao like this.
  2. Jeanna_Q

Jeanna_Q Here To Help

Also almost always completely submerged in water. You would use all your fuel running water pumps.

SomeRandomGuy and Bob Crees like this.
  3. Bob Crees

Bob Crees Famous

I like this place:)

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Lundy Island, the Bristol Channel, England.

Cejao likes this.
  4. SomeRandomGuy

SomeRandomGuy Famous

Yup. That's the part most people don't even think about when they get all hyped up about buying an old missile silo, it's probably flooded and if you don't keep up with the water it'll flood again. Anything underground is a bad choice for a base unless you have a 100% reliable way of generating power to run your pumps, and plenty of spare parts on hand and the knowledge to fix them when they break down.

Cejao likes this.
  5. Jeanna_Q

Jeanna_Q Here To Help

Anything underground is going to get water in it eventually, especially a missile silo that is 100 feet down where you would have run right through a water table. Also, fun little fact I have actually been SCUBA diving in a real Atlas nuclear missile silo in Abilene. I don't know what was creepier, the stuff above water or below.

6. SomeRandomGuy

SomeRandomGuy Famous

Not something I'd want to do, but if you saw anything resembling some of the stuff I've heard about in those places I think "creepy" would be an understatement.

Cejao likes this.
  7. Jeanna_Q

Jeanna_Q Here To Help

Trust me, that doesn't even enter the top 5 creepy things I have seen. Though it was still cool to see the link to our past.

Cejao likes this.
  8. I chose a stadium, but would prefer an indoor arena, because I used to work as a pantry coordinator in a stadium and an indoor arena and I know that the kitchen and food are secure from the lower section of the arena as well as all of the box seats which could be individual shelters. The box seats are open to the arena so you can move from one room to the next without having to use the doors and the pantry is connected to the box seats somewhere along the way. Closing off the stairs and disabling the elevators could secure the entire top section of the arena and using ropes or some kind of ladder to access the box seats from the ground floor would allow surivors access to and from the top of the arena.

I also chose other and would suggest either a military base or a police station. I don't think I have to explain this one, heh!

9. Tsewe

Tsewe Here To Help

I used the term "stadium" because I thought it was generic and it included arenas as well :)

I'm now playing Fallout 4 and I'm dying to see that kind of crafting settlement system in a great single player zombie game. I really like the balance between managing ressources and building freedom and "imposed" existing settlement sites (you can't build anywhere). Imagine if we could start our base on an existing site such as a prison and then customize it with some kind of Fallout 4 crafting system...
    I know, I'm dreaming!

Cejao and ArcherBird like this.
  10. KatArus

KatArus Got Your Back

I'd go with an aircraft carrier. Impossible for zombies to get on for obvious reasons and hard to storm without helicopters otherwise, lots of flat open space for farming and animal husbandry complete with living quarters and infrastructure suited for long-term autonomous living. It'll get trashed eventually without proper care but in given conditions most people don't live that long anyway.

Tsewe, Bob Crees and Cejao like this.
  11. Jeanna_Q

Jeanna_Q Here To Help

Good place, not likely the easiest thing to wrestle away from the Navy. Also if you are trying to commandeer an American carrier, I would hope you have a nuclear engineer with you are they run off of a nuclear reactor, and those things hit back hard (and deadly) if mistreated. Still it does make a lot of sense to use one as a base.

Tacticalgrenade likes this.
  12. Tacticalgrenade

Tacticalgrenade Got Your Back

I am wrestling with the idea of farming silos. I have only explored one that was used for corn harvest storage. I like the idea of the rounded outer walls of the structure. Deflecting weight of larger groups that may smash against it. On farms with hydraulic machinery I have seen bulk purchased 55 gallon drums of hydraulic grease. Maybe useable for slick coating the outside walls. The interior (with correct engineering) would be large enough for tiered whatever you chose spaces. The height gives elevated view of cleared and deforested landscape. Farms tend to be next to other farms. Miles of open view. Most farms don't have one silo. They have a few. Removing the roof of one could allow a enclosed setting for growing agriculture securely. Animals or zeds I guess. Most farms already have wells and underground septic tanks. They don't rely on city sewer. That's an important factor considering methane gas will backup and fill every structure connected. A latrine is needed to keep people healthy. I realize these things weren't built with living conditions in mind but I think that just means they are customizable to what someone needed if they tried. Unlike below ground silos there is no flooding concerns. You could maintain elevated advantage points if there was a breach to the interior. Stairways designed narrow would create bottleneck choke points. I don't think it would be a good thing to attempt a siege on a unspecified number of people inside something like this. If you had to enter at ground level, with no intel of layout, I think you end up as a fish in the barrel as the expression goes. Farming tractors are heavy machinery. A few mods and you have a civilian tank. You also have the ability to alter the environment. Trenching or building up doesn't take much time with the right toys. Instead of building a fence you could create pitfalls. Dirt pulled from pitfalls become walls on interior side. Large barn could be used as a hanger. Farms also (usually) have large tanks of petroleum fuel somewhere. Automotive type garages for maintaining their equipment. Most modern farmers have ATV's. Most modern farmers are not like the McReady farm. Most have big boy toys, a lot of little toys, large storage warehouses, and (in the U.S.) most have firearm gun cabinets with a lot of ammo in the bottom cabinets. The land itself must be fertile or there wouldn't be a farm there. Fertilizers, seed, everything needed to actually grow food. I wouldn't live in the house there. I would probably tear it down. Recycle the material for what I needed. The structure would only be blocking my view anyway. I guess I am looking for insight as to what might be the cons of this idea. Besides the obvious of it being a remote location so gathering resources needs vehicles. The debate on that would be if you have to travel 10 miles before you reach nearest town you have 10 miles to watch your trail to see if you're being followed back. What am I missing or would be needed for something like this?

Tsewe likes this.
  13. Dunadain

Dunadain Famous

I like that 'real American' farm idea. Get a genuine farm, perhaps have a truck small industrial park or regional trucking distribution warehouse nearby which might have tools/resources not available on the farm. PLUS (as an OMG bonus), there could be a randomly-spawning USAF ICBM silo which may or may not show up on your playthrough. Those things are definitely designed to withstand anything from invaders, to hail, to tornadoes, to 'near-misses' by nukes. It would be the ultimate defensive position! You might get some awesome (non-radioactive) weaponry stockpiled there "Just In Case..." (Plus, His Holiness Sg. Kelly Eldridge III, Fucking Esquire, would probably be able to relax for a change...)

14. SomeRandomGuy

SomeRandomGuy Famous

A silo is definitely not bulletproof. Nobody would need to try and force their way in if they want to wipe you out, all they'd need to do is shoot it full of holes from the outside.

15. Tacticalgrenade

Definitely NOT bulletproof. I will have to log that to memory. Perhaps counter measure by using the material from another silo to reinforce interior/exterior walls. Galvanized steel in layers has to stop a bullet from penetrating at some point. On a farm with half a dozen silos I think I would have available material. I watched a few videos showing the construction of these silos (after posting here). Roughly estimated that a single 60 foot silo could be dismantled to 20 feet leaving a lot of material for other "projects". Leave 2 at full height, use outer positioned silos for whatever. Thanks for the observation.

16. Dunadain

Dunadain Famous

Consider demolishing an 'extra' silo, then having the sheet metal form a 10-foot wall, with perhaps 2.5-3 feet of space between standing silo and new sheet metal. Fill that with dirt, and you would have a highly bullet resistant layer.

17. Tacticalgrenade

As a side note: the deforested open view landscape of a farm would make it difficult to approach. Randomly shooting holes with no intel of the interior layout would be a very costly ammo consumption. A large group of people or zeds should be spotted at a long range. The overtaking of this area would be a mathematical equation. Risk vs. reward. I "estimate" that within a 60 day deadline, a (6 person labor staff) group could make this happen. Recruiting a large amount of people (50, 100, 200) to reside there would be sustainable long term. If I attempted to overtake something like this (with only small arms), I would expect some incoming fire. I'm not suggesting this would be defendable against an overpowering military trained faction. I'm not attempting to defend against AC-130's, Apache choppers, or tanks. I'm not going against MI 6 or Seal Team #whatever. I am attempting to defend against mass numbers of (assuming) unarmed cannibals. Smaller bands (25 or less) of would be raiders. All of this done with the hope and foresight that surviving is very different than thriving. Rebuilding comes after the destruction. If I were in a smaller group of survivors, I think there would be more benefit to making an ally of a larger established group vs. the attempt to overthrow.

18. Tacticalgrenade

Picking up what you are putting down. Offset the metal to help absorb impact and deflect trajectory. Dirt in between panels would be available to obtain easily. Weep holes to prevent flooding and control washout. Trench the exterior side to make difficulty in climbing.

19. SomeRandomGuy

SomeRandomGuy Famous

What about at night? If it's cloudy with low light it'd be fairly easy to sneak close by crawling unless you constantly keep the wild grasses and weeds cut to ground level, and that would be an excruciating amount of work. Even a small number of people sneaking up like that could cause a lot of damage with a couple molotovs each.

20. Tacticalgrenade

Good point. Fire (smoke them out) could be used to force people out. Burning it down is counter productive to taking it over. Tall grass can be used to get closer. I'm thinking fire with fire may be the answer. Control burn the landscape that could be problematic. It doesn't take much effort to light something on fire. Use existing irrigation and sprinklers to control the burn path. A large fire and smoke will attract attention. Use the last couple hours of daylight to start the fire. Use the cover of darkness to extinguish and minimize the visibility of dark colored smoke. I am certainly in favor of destroying anything that would obstruct visibility. I like your feedback. Things "I" did not consider are the reason I posted here. Also reinforces my belief that people will be the most valuable resource in this hypothetical.

SomeRandomGuy likes this.