The Blades

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Akinaba, Sep 30, 2016.

1. osamaclees

osamaclees Here To Help

if you want a gunblade, dont
    get a gun and a blade :)

Akinaba, Bob Crees and Cejao like this.
  2. M >>>

M >>> Got Your Back

Hello Akinaba !

I too feel that swords and other melee weapons are cool to have in State of Decay.
    Claymores, longswords, katanas, cutlasses, machetes, axes, maces, tomahawks, and varieties thereof are all welcome.

While some of my fellow community members have expressed skepticism on the realism of finding such items here and there in our Oregon based sandbox, I will simply reply "THIS IS SPARTA !" Ahem, I meant to say.... "THIS IS AMERICA !" With this in mind, prudent folks don't brag or openly display their arms collection, but keep them secured in vaults, lockers, and basements where they are out of sight. American enthusiasm for arms of all kinds remains high. I think the amount of weapons discovered would be impressive if an inventory were ever to occur.

It would also be cool if certain skill sets appear that would allow for the crafting or commissioning of certain weapons.
    We've talked before in "The Guns" thread about the hope for a Gun smith skill. Likewise a Blacksmith could develop the skill to produce combat ready blades. * There could be quest line to enable that ! After all a Blacksmith would need many things to produce solid blades, a forge, fuel, iron, flux, tools, and more besides.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2016
    Akinaba, Geoff728 and Bob Crees like this.
  3. Bob Crees

Bob Crees Famous

There must be lots of 'Museums' in the USA and some must contain collections of weapons. I was going to mention Boston, where you Yanks used Tea as a weapon, but I thought better of it:)

[​IMG]

Akinaba and Cejao like this.
  4. QMJS

QMJS Famous

From a nearby ART museum... not even particularly about weapons or history:

old-swords.jpg pmaswords.jpg

And these are also quite close: http://dehistory.pastperfectonline....eria=sword&searchButton=Search&only_images=on (80 listings, about 10 are not actual swords but pictures and such.)

Also relatively close nearby: American Military Edged Weaponry Museum

o1.jpg o.jpg

Now, certainly this is not the same situation across the entire country... we have two states that have been states less than 60 years. But on the east coast, there are museums all over the place. Going by a couple of lists I found, there appears to be roughly 1 museum every 22 square miles or 57 square kilometers in this area. Not all of those have weapons by any means... I doubt there would be anything particularly useful in the children's museum, or the train museum, or the contemporary arts museum.

Bob Crees likes this.
  5. Erudain

Erudain Here To Help

Well according to the "in-game" lore the trigger or shot wasn't for the bullet damage but to send a vibration through the blade to increase the damage.
    And also...."emo"?.....what is this? year 2000 when everything was called emo?.....Squall was as close to being emo as I am to being Michael Jordan

Bob Crees and ADAMANTIUM like this.
  6. Wayne

Wayne Here To Help

I am more of a gun guy, but I do own multiple fully functional blades. Mostly knives, a few machetes and two pretty sweet Zombie Tool pieces. Traumahawk.PNG Sharkalope.PNG My next addition will likely be ZedShushi.PNG The Zombie Tool weapons are nice to look at as well as to use. I am not hoping for a real world Zed Apocalypse, but I will be well armed if it ever does happen.

Bob Crees, Akinaba and ADAMANTIUM like this.
  7. Doomen Gloom

Doomen Gloom Famous

The blade cuts the bullet in half, two zombies head shots:)

Akinaba, Bob Crees and ADAMANTIUM like this.
  8. ADAMANTIUM

ADAMANTIUM Got Your Back

I got to meet them @zombiecon, super cool people. Those are some nice blades.

Bob Crees and Wayne like this.
  9. Doomen Gloom

Doomen Gloom Famous

Last edited: Oct 12, 2016
    ADAMANTIUM and Bob Crees like this.
  10. Wayne

Wayne Here To Help

I have never watched that show, but I have seen the advertisements while watching Milwaukee Blacksmith. I will have to check out Forged in Fire as well.

Bob Crees likes this.
  11. Dunadain

Dunadain Famous

Yay! Others are advocating for these as well! I really want an Apokatana or Reaver Cleaver! (just make sure you don't shoot it with an AK...)

Bob Crees and Wayne like this.
  12. Wayne

Wayne Here To Help

The Apokatana is a pretty sweet looking weapon, but it is a bit too long for my skill level. Right now I am sticking with the shorter blades until I can convince my wife that an Apokatana purchase would not result in emergency room visits and numerous stitches or missing body parts.

Bob Crees and Dunadain like this.
  13. osamaclees

osamaclees Here To Help

WP_20150902_12_24_21_Pro 2.jpg

my main 2 blades, these things are super cereal
    mao dao at top and dao at bottom

i can dual wield them, which is pretty fun and cool, but its hard espiecally on the arms and have to keep alot of momentum up
    if it was for really id just wield them singly, depending on room to swing etc ​

M >>>, Akinaba, Doomen Gloom and 2 others like this.
  14. zechs

zechs Here To Help

I've got most of my training with double handed weapons. Some single but not dual wield single types. Offensive and defensive. Since training, simulated combat and actual combat are concerned, dual wielding isn't a likely option for longevity. But in fantasy, sometimes it looks cool. It just happens to be a fine line between looking cool and immersion breaking.

Too long of weapons leave you wider blind spots. Two weapons leave you split concentration and not fully focused on teeth.

Though there is the option of breaking into a police station and dual wielding riot gear. Two batons, two shields or mixed. Might be cool to shield bash some zeds.

Bob Crees and Cejao like this.
  15. Akinaba

Akinaba Got Your Back

I think the stated Traumahawk is more like the personal defense weapon / last weapon (wich you tend to use in YOSE when you loose your primary weapon now). Like personal knife for example then a primary edged melee weapon.

Basicly, any tool that's shorter then your elbow may count as personal defence weapon and stands aside from the general melee weapons you use.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2016
    Bob Crees likes this.
  16. osamaclees

osamaclees Here To Help

I've trained in pretty much all sword techniques, and ive found the biggest limitation to dual wield (apart from rapier and main guache and similar) is room to be effective and strength, its really hard on the arms and saps strength quickly, because you need to hit/parry from each side equally without telegraphing or favoring its hard to use the torso and legs effectively, pust alot of extra strain on forearms
    for someone untrained just using a single sword in one hand will find it very hard and tire easily
    and its very easy to disrupt the momentum a dual wielder needs to be effective
    its really hard lol

despite how cool it looks (and it does :) ) if it was realzy and i was fighting for my life id use either one depending on room but only single weild and 2-handed, theres just no way id ever use it in real battle, id only do so using rapier and dagger (or similar) and only against an armed opponent (not a zed!)

Akinaba and Bob Crees like this.
  17. zechs

zechs Here To Help

It's the purpose and deployment of dual wielding in which is has purpose. Which is mostly dialing or tournament. It doesn't have real life purpose when ones life is threatened.

Since a zombie encounter won't be a dual or a tournament fight type, it'll mostly be an unnecessary risk. Like you said, it is too constricting, too straining, to easy to break momentum. It is too easy to get distracted with split focus too.

I personally would choose a weapon at least 2 hands could fit on. Two handed offers offense and defense, at least a little more so with a singular focus and better control.

Bob Crees likes this.
  18. Dunadain

Dunadain Famous

People also need to remember that swinging an object indoors will be very difficult in many places, and a longer sword will be a hindrance rather than a help. How wide are hallways, or how tall ceilings? You need to consider a hammer as about the largest object to be swung in tight spaces, unless considerable 'indoor combat' training is available.

Akinaba and Bob Crees like this.
  19. zechs

zechs Here To Help

It depends on the weapon and whether one is willing to throw in kicks and other body to body actions. Also how one is willing to use a weapon. Pull back and swing forward is viable, but so would be thrusting forward or more vertical slicing. Making longer knives and katana (and shorter) also viable.

But that would also fall into the 'cool but immersion breaking ' for more than that. Though this talk for a game, it is less restricted within such borders as walls and such. As long as SoD 2 doesn't have interior vehicle combat...

20. osamaclees

osamaclees Here To Help

as @zechs has said punch kick and other body actions but also including the sword hilt and pommel etc and thrusting as a main go to, a warrior who doesnt use all weapons at his disposal is soon a dead warrior
    thats the beauty of a sword, no room to swing properly? thrust etc a sword is far more than just a cutting weapon and its also far more than just its blade
    this also has the added bonus of speed, thrusting is much faster and gives much less time to react
    come across someone (in real life) with a baseball bat, if they are holding it in a classic "swingers grip" just get in close and you will win that fight all day
    if they holding it front of them kinda spear like, you in trouble

big issue really is animating that and including all the attack choices but also ofcourse immersion vs playability. yep swinging a sword in a doorway is going to get your sword stuck in said doorway and your character killed lol. this is easy for us to tell if we have room in real life but not so easy to judge in a game. realism cant always get in the way of gameplay