The Giant Enormous Mega Class4 Thread

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Undead Sanya, Jul 4, 2012.

1. M >>>

M >>> Got Your Back

It's easy to imagine that not every Survivor community will be fortunate enough to have a Cold-War weapons depot,
    or a DARPA experimental lab with weapons such as Semi-Autonomous Robots in cold storage nearby.

What are some powerful Old Tech options ?

Alternate Ideas for the State of Decay Class Four World - in terms of weapons are - Ballistae !

In a scenario where wood and scrap steel are plentiful, but explosives, shells and rounds are in short supply -
    a community might be compelled to invest much more heavily in the development of effective long bows, compound bows,
    crossbows and emplacement bows such as Ballista or Ballistae.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ballista

One such variant based on an image from Trajan's Column was recently reconstructed with guidance from written descriptions and comparisons with archeological finds.
    The Roman re-enactment group Comitatus commissioned the build and received a powerful field weapon.

http://www.comitatus.net/armyballista.html

[​IMG]

A Weapon such as this could be very effective in defense of Survivor Communities and Outposts.
    Devising such weapons would require library research, wood working and metal craft - and testing.

Once constructed - the above version could pin a Feral to a tree.
    I imagine this ballista could also take down Juggernauts - if one were to nail 'em in the head or spine.

Survivors based in the present day could seek to improve on this Roman-based example if they desired increases in power, range, payload, efficiency ( meaning it requires a smaller crew to load and operate ), and a quicker reloading and firing time.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2016
    Bob Crees likes this.
  2. Bob Crees

Bob Crees Famous

I am not 100% sure of my facts, but I do believe that Roman weapons such as the ballista, were more a 'Terror' weapon.

You would need a lot of them to stop a horde, due to their poor rate of fire.

However, I do understand where you are coming from, as over time society as we know it, would have to be able to adapt.

LiNanMian1984 and M >>> like this.
  3. M >>>

M >>> Got Your Back

Hello Bob !

Yes indeed. Ballista or various heavy crossbows would likely be just one of many resource options for Community defense.

We saw many innovations introduced in State of Decay for individual survivors to use in the field.
    These options were provided for offensive use, and to lure Zeds away to other locations.
    Mines, firebombs, grenades, and chemical incendiary devices all have their uses and applications.

What about traps and obstacles ?
    Traps and obstacles could serve multiple purposes.

Obstacles could obstruct a horde's ability to mass directly against a home base's walls by providing another layer of defense.
    Luring a horde into a narrow approach would make it easier for defenders to pick off an approaching horde, and effectively force the zeds to bunch up for easier fire-bombing. Are there ways to create choke points and to funnel a horde to a designated "kill zone" ?

How about devising field tactics for use against the various Special types ?
    Some of these Trap tactics could involve the building and rigging of deadfalls, net traps, the use of steel cables for dismemberment, and ropes for entanglement.

Heavy objects such as logs, boulders, and vehicles can be raised with the use of block and tackle. Some trucks may have working mounted winches attached. Tow trucks with winches would have even more capacity. There must be bulldozers somewhere in the county which could be used to construct earthen berms, defensive moats, and other earth works.

Are there natural or artificial features in the local environment that Survivors can turn to their advantage ?
    Boulders ? Logs ? Car bodies to recycle into barriers or deadfalls ? Industrial machinery which could be adapted for anti-horde use ? Tar pits ?
    Giant Saw Blades ? A trap concept which works on a Terminator ought to work just as well against a Special or part of a Horde.

Along with reducing the mobility of the enemy - how can Survivors gain an edge in mobility ?
    Can zip lines, tree stands, and removable rope ladders be options to enable a Survivor to escape a ravening horde and relocate to safety quickly ?

Having the ability to construct traps in the urban environment would require some research, materials, time, and would likely be completed in stages due to the persistent threat. However, once constructed - I imagine it would be very satisfying to trap and eliminate both Specials and entire hordes.

The advantages of the zombies are numerous. Imperiousness to pain, unrelenting antagonism, and a swarming behavior.
    Since zombies are short on brains - it should be possible to lure, trap and destroy them in prepared areas.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2016
    LiNanMian1984 and Bob Crees like this.
  4. kebabmister

kebabmister Got Your Back

@M >>> You should make a thread on that, unless you or someone else has already, in which case I'd like a link.

LiNanMian1984 and M >>> like this.
  5. M >>>

M >>> Got Your Back

Hello Kebabmister,

It seems that for all of our Class Four wishes, aspirations, declarations, malefactions, prognostications, ruminations, speculations, investigations, - we're posting them here - UNTIL IT MANIFESTS !

"FOR THESSIA !"

LiNanMian1984 likes this.
  6. noah

noah Got Your Back

State of Decay 2 is Coop 1-4, correct? i believe so. I need a group to play with. All my friends suck and probably wont buy it. If you want a person to play SoD2 when it is released lemme know, just message me on here. I'm going to try to get it ASAP. :)

7. rebel36

rebel36 Famous

You can go to the xbox Live Clubs thread and post your gamertag there also. It's a place on the forums for folks to post their gamertags so others can friend them and perhaps forms groups to co-op SoD2 when it comes out.:)

LiNanMian1984, M >>> and Bob Crees like this.
  8. noah

noah Got Your Back

@rebel36 - Ok, cool, nice to know, but i meant for PC.

LiNanMian1984 and Bob Crees like this.
  9. Undead Nicole

Undead Nicole Community Manager Staff Member

Morning Noah. :) We're not quite ready to fragment our community yet, but as more people join us, we'll keep an eye on things.

10. Bob Crees

Bob Crees Famous

There are many of us that use PC's:)

LiNanMian1984 likes this.
  11. JollyZed

JollyZed Starting Off

add an option for cut trees and make them materials, along with scrapping wrecks!

LiNanMian1984 and XzerothreeX like this.
  12. solace84

solace84 Starting Off

To late to ask for a postman in sod 2? Lol.

13. YojimBeau

YojimBeau Famous

Class 4 is not SoD2. That's been made clear.