The Guns

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Abhor Deities, Jul 9, 2013.

1. CaptainAssassin

CaptainAssassin Here To Help

I've fired both, and the 42 was far more enjoyable to shoot, with far less muzzle flip and faster follow-up shots. It's also smaller and more comfortable concealed.

The whole reason I'm considering it is because I wanted something with a bit more purchase than my Kahr P380, which has been a great gun... but I just feel like I need a little more pistol to hold onto. The G42 splits the difference in size between the P380 and the PM9— which I also thought was more comfortable than the G43. I found the G43 to be snappy as hell, and it made the tip of my trigger finger numb after 2 mags— the same problem I had with the G22 and most Glocks in general

Last edited: Jan 25, 2017
    Bob Crees likes this.
  2. DrakeGmbH

DrakeGmbH Starting Off

The size difference between the two was negligible to me. They're both tiny little subcompacts. For anyone following along who isn't familiar with these two models: In this photo, the 42 is on the left and the 43 is on the right. The difference in width is only 0.08".

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I guess mileage may vary. The 43 was my ex's choice for a carry gun as she felt my Glock 19 was too heavy and bulky for her to carry comfortably. I'll agree a locked breech .380 is always going to be more pleasant than a locked breech 9mm in about the same size - that's the nature of the beast as the cartridge packs a good 13,500 PSI higher chamber pressure. With carry guns like that I tend to subscribe to the 'carry a lot, shoot a little' school of thought. Enough to stay proficient, but it's certainly not a range toy. The only .380 I honestly enjoy shooting is my Swedish m/07 with a barrel rechambered for .380 ACP. I had complaints about discomfort with my Glock 19's trigger after a few magazines and I found my issue had more to do with the serrated trigger installed in most models. I swapped it for a smooth trigger from a Glock 17 and it's alleviated my issues.

I don't want this to come across as any particular love on my part for the brand as I still find them ugly as all hell as they have the aesthetics of a mailbox. I appreciate them from a utilitarian level - it lets me leave the nicer ones at home. It's a bad day when you find rust from sweat on your HK P7. No amount of oil or grease was able to prevent it completely and I finally realized I should just get a holster for the Glock 19 and learn to make it work. I had switched to the P7 from my CZ75 to save on size and weight but had to trade magazine capacity from 15 down to 8. The G19 is the same width as the P7 but lighter and holds a full 15 round magazine. Also, it doesn't rust!

Rock33B and Bob Crees like this.
  3. Jeanna_Q

Jeanna_Q Here To Help

So, Remington done messed it up again.

Seriously, it appears they cannot make a pistol to save their lives.

4. DrakeGmbH

DrakeGmbH Starting Off

I really wanted to love the R51 as I love my 1925 Model 51 - but they managed to lose the magic of the Pedersen design in their attempt to 'modernize' it. That and the minor fact that most of them didn't work and had to be recalled...

Bob Crees likes this.
  5. CaptainAssassin

I foresee Remington as a company being fully dismantled— transitioning into another Browning or Winchester— a brand in name only. A manufacturer simply cannot fuck up this much and continue to survive. Not that I think Remington is solely responsible. There's likely been a great deal of Freedom Group mismanagement, cost cutting, materials compromises, and other nonsense.

6. CaptainAssassin

Here's one for the modeling department... the up and coming Hudson H9. The look of it really screams 'space gun' to me:

[​IMG]

Rock33B likes this.
  7. Jeanna_Q

Jeanna_Q Here To Help

I wanted to love the R51 so much I bought the first gen and the second gen when it came out and both of them suck. Then I can't say first hand about the RP9, but I trust the Military Arms Channel, and you can see uncut in the video rounds nose diving in the magazine causing huge problems. Plus with a pistol the magazine is an integral part of the system. Then the not so ambi slide release is just sad.
    I don't really understand it either, Remington makes awesome rifles and shotguns, and even the R1 1911 is not horrible.

Bob Crees likes this.
  8. Dunadain

Dunadain Famous

WOW! I had fewer issues with a dirty 1911-.22LR.

Remind me to never buy a Remington...

Bob Crees likes this.
  9. Bob Crees

Bob Crees Famous

I understand the fascination of firing new weapons, but when my Dad collected guns, there was something nostalgic about firing a Webley & Scott .38 pistol dated 1938 and a Colt 1911 .45 pistol dated 1942. Or a .303 Lee Enfield dated 1944 and using .303 ammo.

Undead Brant, Rock33B and DrakeGmbH like this.
  10. DrakeGmbH

DrakeGmbH Starting Off

Bob, those are my sentiments exactly. There is a particular charm in historic weapons for me that just isn't present with modern commercial arms, especially when using them in their original configuration with the intended loads. I like seeing what the troops who carried these 'had to deal with'. They serve as a reminder of the hardships and sacrifices made by those who came before us.

Granted, I do have a bit of nostalgia for the weapons I carried personally, but you won't be seeing surplus M16's or M60's on store shelves!

Cejao, Rock33B and Bob Crees like this.
  11. Bob Crees

Bob Crees Famous

I live in the UK so not a lot of chance for me carrying on mine and my Dad's passion for firearms anymore:(

But no Government can take memories away:)

The first weapon I ever fired some 51 years ago -

[​IMG]

Alan Gunderson, Rock33B and DrakeGmbH like this.
  12. Jeanna_Q

Jeanna_Q Here To Help

So it finally happened, I actually bought a 1911. A no frills Rock Island Armory 1911a1. So far after putting 200 rounds through it I haven't had any issues with it, and it has even decided to fire some Golden Saber JHP. However as nice as the stock smooth hard wood grips are I want something a little different. Does anyone know of any good WW2 style grips?

Cejao, Bob Crees and Rock33B like this.
  13. CaptainAssassin

I recommend buffalo horn— they purty. Though they might not pair well with a parkerized finish. Are you leaning more towards form or function? Because seriously, the list of grip options is exponentially greater than the list of 1911 options.
    Hogue and Pachmayr are always a good place to start...

midwayusa.com/product/475164/pachmayr-american-legend-grip-with-finger-grooves-1911-government-commander

If you like the hand-made look:

https://www.badgercustomgrips.com/

Last edited: Jan 31, 2017
  14. Gmutant

Gmutant Here To Help

Here's some wooden M1911 grips available at Brownell's:

Phillipine Mahogany wood grips:
    http://www.brownells.com/handgun-parts/grip-parts/grips/1911-mahogany-grips-prod9562.aspx?avs|Make_3=1911

Chip McCormick Rosewood grips:
    http://www.brownells.com/handgun-parts/grip-parts/grips/1911-exhibition-grade-rosewood-grips-prod5517.aspx?avs|Make_3=1911

Herrett's WW1-era replica M1911 Walnut grips:
    http://www.brownells.com/handgun-parts/grip-parts/grips/1911-replica-walnut-grips-prod60412.aspx?avs|Make_3=1911

Ahrend's exotic wood M1911 grips:
    http://www.brownells.com/handgun-pa...tic-wood-grips-prod24290.aspx?avs|Make_3=1911

EDIT:
    In case anyone is interested, Brownell's has Glock 17/34 17 round mags on sale right now for $19.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2017
  15. DrakeGmbH

DrakeGmbH Starting Off

I wonder if the RIA's still use oversize grip screws. A friend of mine bought one some years ago and had the same complaint about the smooth wood grips. I sent him a spare set of checkered wood grips and he found the factory bushing/screw combo would not fit standard 1911 grips. The screws were far too long.

Granted, this was around 2008 so things may have changed since then. If you'd like, I can measure the screws and bushings on my M1911A1 for you to compare to your pistol.

Cejao likes this.
  16. Jeanna_Q

Jeanna_Q Here To Help

Oh, I didn't know that. You don't have to, I have access to a couple Colts, Springfields and S&W 1911. Then it won't be an issue to get new screws or just machine down the ones on the gun if I need to.

Also you know your stuff when it comes to guns, would you know of any good WW1/2 era replica type grips? Gmutant linked some nice ones, I just want to see a good sample size.

Undead Brant and Cejao like this.
  17. DrakeGmbH

DrakeGmbH Starting Off

Here's a site with a nice selection of grips. This page is all the double diamonds which are quite faithful reproductions - http://www.woodcaliber.com/store/c3/Gov_Double_Diamond.html

Pre-1924 used the double diamond walnut grips. Colt went to full checkered panels afterward.

The WWII grips were almost exclusively synthetic materials. Colt shipped a few with walnut grips early in the wartime years but post -1941 they were synthetic. Colt started with 'Coltrock' and went to 'Coltwood'. Other makers and postwar grips were made by Keyes and have more of a brown tone.

The Colt grips are always pricey due to the name association but you can find Keyes grips for a decent price if that's up your alley. I would look on eBay and gunbroker for a set of those before I looked at modern plastic repros.

18. CaptainAssassin

Oooooooh— I bet that Bolivian Rosewood would look good with parkerized metal.

19. Undead Brant

Undead Brant Developer Staff Member

That was my first shooting experience too, age 5, I still have that rifle too.

20. Undead Brant

Undead Brant Developer Staff Member

Hope all my favorites are doing well. Working hard here at the lab, just know my after hours and weekend work is all about YOU guys/girls, not stripping, that didn't pay out as much as I'd hoped...

Rock33B, Gmutant, DrakeGmbH and 2 others like this.